Notices

Are there any turbo or supercharger kits for integras that are california legal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are there any turbo or supercharger kits for integras that are california legal?

I've heard that the greddy kit isn't california legal anymore.

Are there ANY supercharger or turbocharger kits for 1994-2001 acura integras that are carb legal in california right now?

I want to drive a really mild daily driver integra with just low boost, don't want to lose reliability, but i/h/e doesn't look like it's gonna be enough to make an integra gsr go as fast as my bone stock 350z was, and, that is my goal, to have an integra gsr that is as fast or faster than my bone stock 350z was, but still have it be a reliable daily driver, and be california legal. Is this possible?
Old 07-31-2010, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Are there any turbo or supercharger kits for integras that are california legal?

jackson racing supercharger is carb legal as long as you have the carb legal sticker that comes with the kit
Old 07-31-2010, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Are there any turbo or supercharger kits for integras that are california legal?

The thing that I don't understand is, how is it that there are so many people on here who have non-legal (in any state, not just cali) setups as their daily drivers? Do they just get a new car once every year when their smog check deadline comes up and keep dodging it that way, or, wtf?

I mean, there's literally tens of thousands of people on here, both in the all motor forum as well as the forced induction forum as well as all the individual car forums who have setups for their daily drivers that aren't legal in any state, and I just don't understand how they can all manage to do this without getting caught every time they have to go in for the smog check?

Am I missing something?
Old 07-31-2010, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by KoreanMoviesFTW
The thing that I don't understand is, how is it that there are so many people on here who have non-legal (in any state, not just cali) setups as their daily drivers? Do they just get a new car once every year when their smog check deadline comes up and keep dodging it that way, or, wtf?

I mean, there's literally tens of thousands of people on here, both in the all motor forum as well as the forced induction forum as well as all the individual car forums who have setups for their daily drivers that aren't legal in any state, and I just don't understand how they can all manage to do this without getting caught every time they have to go in for the smog check?

Am I missing something?
No one cares or checks and some states don't even have emissions testing. People are so scared of big brother it's funny. Put a super loud exhaust and make your car flashy and it will draw attention. You can also pass emissions with High flow cat, alot of people do this. Companys that want to make a mass market carb legal kit will have to Jump through hoops.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

some states dont require inspections, some states dont require emissions checks on OBD1 cars, some people just pay local mechanics to go "ok it passed" and slap a sticker on the window.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

While almost every state has a form of inspection, it is not the same extent that CARB is in California. As long as a car has a passing OBD-II (or falls under actual measured emmisions in pre 1996 vehicles) then that is enough to pass inspection.

Now ya you may get pulled over and the officer may ticket you for non DOT complying hardware....such was the case about 10 years ago when "clears" and "altezza" tail lights came onto the scene.

But as far as just going into an inspection station and being worried about a big shiny turbo sitting in the engine bay....as long as the OBD-II passes most places won't even open the engine bay. Hell the first year I had my Lotus, it did not have a catalyst on it. I took it to get inspected and the guy was like "well, it does smell pretty rich, but its not throwing any codes so I think its good to go"

EDIT: Even before OBD-II became the standard for emissions testing, as long as your car passed actual emissions when hooked up to the sniffer it didn't matter what you had done. Thats the difference for most states. California, I can not comment on (luckily).
Old 07-31-2010, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Am I missing something?
well in IL if you dont have obdII they dont require emmissions, which is why I went for a 93 car. also out here if you live in the country they dont require emmissions if you live in a small enough town, so if you know someone that lives in a small enough town you can "move in with them" and get your sticker without going.

Hell, here they dont even hook up the sniffer anymore, you just pull up and they plug into your computer, if you have no check engine light, you pass lol.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Am I missing something?
Here in Cali, there are still smog guys who will pass your car illegally for an extra fee. Seems the going rate is about $200 for a passing certificate. A lot of these guys eventually get busted or just stop doing it so over time it becomes harder and harder to find someone to do it. Even still, many people disregard smog legality when building their cars and count on being able to pass illegally. On top of that, it looks like now they are beginning to establish "smog check points" similar to "DUI checkpoints", where they essentially do a smog-check on your car.

Others will just convert their car back into a smog-legal condition every two years. Depending on how far you have gone with mods, this could easily mean a couple weekends in your garage wrenching on your car.

So really, it's about picking your poison:

1. Run whatever you want and hope that 2 years from now you will still have a "connection" to pass you illegally.

2. Revert your car back to stock, or close to it, every two years.

3. Spend extra time/money to build a car that is smog-legal. This route also will give you far less options when it comes to modifications/tuning.

None of those options sound appealing, I know, but honestly if your HP goals are pretty mild, it wouldn't be impossible to build a smog-legal car that meets your goals. I plan to reach 300whp+ with my GSR, and the only thing I will have to do every two years is swap out the exhaust, which just requires a ramp/jacks, a socket wrench, and very little time.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

IMO a GSR with a Greddy or JRSC kit should be able to meet your needs. There are a few ticks for either to get it to pass.

What exact year is the integra?
Old 08-01-2010, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Natural Aspirations
IMO a GSR with a Greddy or JRSC kit should be able to meet your needs. There are a few ticks for either to get it to pass.

What exact year is the integra?
I agree. You will just have to do alot of research. You could also get it tuned for two different power setups. Maybe lean one out for the sniffer and then go back to your normal power map.

Isnt the edlebrock kit carb legal? If the turbo is bigger than the greddy one go with that.