Notices

Cali Legal turbo questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cali Legal turbo questions

hello, im trying to boost my integra ls to 250whp give or take its cali i know i'm not going to get far unless i find one kick *** tuner and reinforce my engine. The 3 street legal forced introductions are Greddy, jacksonsupercharger, and eldebrock. I've looked left and right and cant find them anywhere. so my question is You know how some car models came stock from the factory with a turbo does that mean its CARB legal? so for example if i take a turbo from a Subaru i can put in on my integra?
Old 03-30-2014, 08:52 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Cali Legal turbo questions

Those kits have long been discontinued

and no it doesn't work like that... unless it's original equipment on YOUR car then it isn't CARB legal. a lot of people in cali will just take a carb sticker from a carb legal kit and put it on their car. a lot of refs don't know the difference but most do

another option is to modify your car and have it BARd, this basically tells anyone at an emissions station or any cop that stops you that your modifications are legal and certified by the state. however this process isn't easy nor is it cheap.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for clarifying it for me. so my options are wait for a used kit, "engine replacement with a gsr", or just keep my money and buy a better car that comes with a turbo? i love the integra looks and the rsx is not my type. I would get the R34 but California sucks, and the last car i would get is a Subaru sedan and thats like 15k away haha
Old 03-31-2014, 01:32 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Contact CARB about the BAR process, a lot of my California friends have done it. a few that moved there just keep their cars tagged and registered out of state... CARB and law enforcement can't do anything about a car that isn't registered in CA

even if you have an OEM turbo car, any modifications done that aren't carb approved, from intakes to exhausts and literally every part inbetween will get you a fine and an appointment with a carb ref. so either way you're fucked.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those kits even used will not get you to your power goal in their " out of box " configuration.
I ran the Jackson Supercharger & was able to get 225whp with a lot of modification, which made it non smog legal. Swapping a Gsr or Type R motor & getting it BAR-D is only good for the motor itself, if you turbo it, then it's not smog legal.
My car is stock on the outside, & the engine is stock. I am running a basic turbo kit making 255whp. Every two years when it's smog time, just pull the kit off, smog it & reinstall the kit.
The key to driving a modified honda in CA is to keep it low key,
No slammed cars
No flashy wheels
No loud exhausts
No stickers all over it
Hope this helps.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a jdm Gsr b18c motor in my EK chassis and passed BAR. Over the years i hve acquired parts to put together the greddy turbo kit. I plan on running the emanage ultimate as a piggy back to the stock obd2a ecu which should keep it all smog legal. I will also need to get those CARB legal greddy stickers somehow.

My goals arent for big horsepower but more for the challenge of building a "CARB compliant" swapped turbo vehicle. So far, my research proves on goimg in the right direction.

My point is that realistically, those hp goals are not easily obtainable IF you plan on going the CARB legal route. Pick a path and stick to it.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:03 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I run open downpipe 3 inch and 2step at ever green light.

Only time I get pulled over is if I'm speeding on the freeway. That was years ago. I drive calm on the streets and don't get hassled. My civic looks stock tho.

Pm me for smog questions. But I have a feeling you're a highschool kid dreaming.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:19 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Link is broken
Old 03-31-2014, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks you all my questions have answers now.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:31 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Glad we could help even if it wasn't exactly what you wanted to hear. you basically live in the worst state for modified cars. Florida is the place to be, no emissions statewide... that is if you can deal with the snow birds lol

I would strongly suggest contacting CARB and inquiring about the BAR process. it's definitely worth it if you have a modified vehicle and don't want to be a constant target for law enforcement.