Notices

are there any problems when running an open catch can???

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default are there any problems when running an open catch can???

i'm about to install my moroso catch can. the stock breather box is sealed with the z10 plug. i'm useing the 2 ports on the back of the block to the catch can. the fitting on the valve cover also goes to the can. i also welded 1 -12an line on the front of the valve cover that also goes to the can.

i was just wondering it there will be any problems since this is a open system and there is no vacuum on the motor. will this cause any problems

should i run the pvc on top of the can and run a lineto the intake preturbo for vacuum to make it a closed system insteam of running the filter on top of the can??????

please help!!! i'm just worryed because i heard that this is not good because there is no vacuum on the motor and i heard vacuum is needed to properly vent the crancase pressure
Old 02-06-2006, 12:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: are there any problems when running an open catch can??? (riceball777)

anyone??
Old 02-06-2006, 05:37 AM
W95 gives me a hard-on

Default Re: are there any problems when running an open catch can??? (riceball777)

I have been pondering this too. I think if you add enough vents to let the bottom end breath, there shouldnt be no problems. If you do an open catch can you dont need the pcv valve anymore.
I just finished mine on my (allmotor). Tapped two fittings on the valve cover to the new catch can. I also ran the line from the original catch can to the new catch can. I added a small filter to the breather on the valve cover. So basically I have four ports where the bottom en can breath from.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My oil gets crappy faster than it used to with that setup, I think it's because I'm not evacuating the combustion gases that leak down from the cylinders from the crankcase, and they have some fuel/acids/other-bad-stuff in them that shouldn't be left in the crankcase. I'm going to get the Moroso crankcase evacuation venturi and checkvalve :

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs...21861
Old 02-06-2006, 07:15 AM
W95 gives me a hard-on

Default Re: (rmcdaniels)

I am gonna try this method to see if it has any side effects. Even though the rotating forces of the crankshaft should expel most of the gases out. There is always gonna be oil contamination, unless your rings are really worn out not sealing properly you will get alot more fuel on your oil.
Have you taken a look at a diesel engine. Those engine's oil get contaminated quick because they are really high compression engines. But I dont think that affects the performance of the oil that much. If you change your oil like you should there shouldnt be problem.
I think the moroso weld on nipple is a great idea, I might try it later on if I see this method is not working well.
Later