Notices

Testing additional injector setup - questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 04:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Testing additional injector setup - questions

I know it doesn't seem too popular here, but maybe someone can offer some advice:

The target for this is a d16 running mild boost for track (solo I) purposes, and likely, some solo II as well. Not looking for huge power numbers, but it does have to be very reliable and able to be flogged. Forged rods and pistons are the only internal modifications we're looking at now.

Last track day I was looking at a supercharged miata putting down some good numbers. He was using an additional injector setup, basically a machined plate mounted to the intake manifold with two additional RC injectors.

I'm thinking of a similar setup, either through additional injector mounts on the intake manfold runners, or a plate setup like the Miata had. The injector mounts and kit are going to be full custom, my GF is a mech eng with access to cnc shop time. For injector control, I'm looking at a the MegaSquirt unit, with a empty PCB sitting in front of me. This should give me pretty accurate control over the fuel management. I already built a simple board to do map limiting.

Is this going to work for a target boost level of 7-9 psi? (With 10-12 being the absolute upper bound). Has anyone done something similar?

Now, my question : does anyone know any tricks for monitoring how well this working? My concern is obviously with the distribution of fuel between the runners if I go with a plate system, and I don't have access to the equipment to verify this the "right" way. I was considering running a test header with EGT or O2 bungs welded then leaning out the stock injectors and having the additional ones compensate. If done correctly, the EGT and/or A/F should remain constant. A pyrometer would do the same thing as well I guess.

Any ideas / warnings / tips? Thanks.