Notices

Tech Edge WB kit and hondata datalogging..?? How'd you guys do it..?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2002, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tech Edge WB kit and hondata datalogging..?? How'd you guys do it..?

Ok, I realized what a bitch it's going to be.. How have people connected the green and white wire off the harness to the tech edge wb box..?? It uses a serial connector and the wires are TINY...? I assume make another serial cable and have the wire outputs, but that seems like alot of work to me. Anyone do it differently..? Thanks.

-Mike
Old 09-28-2002, 08:09 PM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Tech Edge WB kit and hondata datalogging..?? How'd you guys do it..? (SlowTeg)

take your time and wire it carefully. its delicate but works fine once youre done
Old 09-28-2002, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tech Edge WB kit and hondata datalogging..?? How'd you guys do it..? (SlowTeg)

Wiring works. voltage->o2 translation in rom editor does not.
Old 09-29-2002, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tech Edge WB kit and hondata datalogging..?? How'd you guys do it..? (GruvyTune)

Ok, just wanted to clear this up.. So you actually stripped open the serial cable and got through all the shielding? Then you tapped the tiny white and black wires inside?

Dustin.. What do you mean the O2 conversion table doesn't work... why can't you just change the values to the ones pertaining to the tech edge wb..?

Thanks guys.

-Mike
Old 09-29-2002, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dustin.. What do you mean the O2 conversion table doesn't work... why can't you just change the values to the ones pertaining to the tech edge wb..?

Thanks guys.

-Mike
Hehe, try it yourself then. Rom editor resets it.
Old 09-29-2002, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tech Edge WB kit and hondata datalogging..?? How'd you guys do it..? (dustin)

Hmm.. I got it working.. but the issue now seems to be that the LED display does not match the Lambda values that the ecu sees.. I checked hondata's website and it says u may have to install a diode if I have an "earthing problem." Just wondering if anyone else has this problem? Because the ecu is getting a different voltage than the display, which is causing it to think I'm running leaner than I am. I guess I'm gonna go by Radio shack tomorrow and try it out, but anyone else had this problem? Thanks.

Oh yeah.. Torin sent me a file which changed the values of the Horriba slot to the right ones, that's how I got the Romeditor to display the correct corresponding lambda values.

-Mike
Old 09-29-2002, 05:58 PM
New User

yea,
dont bother changing the "custom" settings. To make them permanent, you need to go into the registry and actually edit the lambda values. Then the "horriba" values will be set to what you want from now on. Interestingly, there still remains a discrepancy between what you enter as Lambda/voltages and the conversion to A:F by a couple tenths of a point. don't know why and Hondata still has not answered me on that.

I have not verified with the new version of Romeditor if that bug is still there.
torin
Old 09-29-2002, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tech Edge WB kit and hondata datalogging..?? How'd you guys do it..? (GruvyTune)

Yeah, thanks for the file man.. I appreciate the help.

So you're getting different lambda values because it's reading a different voltage or just because? I compared the romeditor/datalogger voltage values against the Techedge voltage, and they're way off. I mean the tech edge meter was showing ~12.5 where as the romeditor would show ~13.5.. So it's a big difference.. I tested the voltage of the signal wire using a chassis ground and it is very close to what the ecu is seeing, rather than using the sensor ground...

Just curious if you've seen this problem as well? Hondata recommends using a diode so I guess I'll try that out tomorrow. I know someone who is using the Motec PLM locally and he appears to have no problems w/ it...?

How have you verified that the hondata is off by a couple points.. w/ the tech edge meter? Just curious.. Thanks..

-Mike

[Modified by SlowTeg, 10:52 PM 9/29/2002]
Old 09-30-2002, 04:31 AM
New User

i'm not off that much, it is off though.
Old 09-30-2002, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default RomEditor & A/F ratio

The problem with RomEditor not remembering the a/f ratio was fixed in V3.0 Berfore that I think it is possible to get around the problem by only changing the custom settings with the lambda unit set to 'lambda'.

If RomEditor displays a different voltage from the lambda meter it is usually because of a ground difference between the ECU and the lambda meter. Most people don't realise that there are three different grounds - power ground, logic ground and shield ground. There is often 0.5 - 1 volt different between each ground. Anyhow, what you need to do is check the voltage output from the lambda meter with a voltmeter against the voltage shown in HondaLogger. They should be the same. If they are not the same, often a diode between the lambda meter output ground and ECU input will fix the different. Otherwise you can add or subtract voltage from the custom options until RomEditor shows the same lambda as the meter. Most of this is outlined here http://hondata.com/techwidebandtuning.html
Old 09-30-2002, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, I guess I'll try the diode, and see what happens..

One more question about the tech edge kit though.. I connected the sensor ground for the ecu to the shielding of the serial cable, is this correct..? It looked like the shielding was the ground, because I opened up the serial connector and the ground wire was unshielded going into the cable. I just want to make sure I'm using the right ground wire. Thanks guys.

-Mike
Old 10-04-2002, 11:22 PM

Did you try the diode? I'm also wondering if the a/f rounding is fixed in romeditor3.0 before i upgrade.
Old 10-05-2002, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tech Edge WB kit and hondata datalogging..?? How'd you guys do it..? (true)

Sorry, been kinda busy lately. I'm gonna give the diode a try later tonight or tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.. I think rounding off is a problem w/ the software though. My problem is the ground..

-Mike
Old 10-05-2002, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I sure hope that you guys are members/reading http://www.diy-efi.org/ if your building these.
Old 10-06-2002, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tech Edge WB kit and hondata datalogging..?? How'd you guys do it..? (legendboy)

Any update with this.. ? did the diode work ?? what spec diode did u use ? / are you going to use ? how did ya wire it in ??''

Regards James
Old 10-06-2002, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tech Edge WB kit and hondata datalogging..?? How'd you guys do it..? (BLKCRX)

Nope.. didn't work. I followed hondata's instructions. Check out their site.. I guess i'll have to play w/ it, just haven't had the time lately.

-Mike
Old 10-07-2002, 12:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

let us know how ya go.. when you get it working !! please !

Regards James
Old 11-05-2002, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nope.. didn't work. I followed hondata's instructions. Check out their site.. I guess i'll have to play w/ it, just haven't had the time lately.

-Mike
Any updates on this? I just ordered my techedge kit this weekend.
Old 11-14-2002, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tech Edge WB kit and hondata datalogging..?? How'd you guys do it..? (ladysman)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=316594&page=2 There is even a pretty picture