Notices

Switched from log manifold to Tubular, should under hood temps increase?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Switched from log manifold to Tubular, should under hood temps increase?

Ok we have a 1992 Honda civic DX.
B18b engine
Spooling performance tubular manifold
Spooling performance 3" dp
Borg Warner Turbo
Spoolin performance Intercooler
single core civic radiator with 12" slim fan
Crower 402 turbo cams

took the car for its first drive sense the rebuild and upgraded setup and when we got back the upper radiator support was to hot to touch and the valve cover was to hot to touch. coolent temp gauge in the cluster stayed at normal temp, and the fan cycled on and off about every 60seconds in the garage after the run. no boost was seen on the run, and the car was never taken over 3k rpms as i was tying to tune for the out of boost portions on the map. i was wandering if it is normal to have high underhood temps with a tubular manifold or is my timing way off that im getting above normal temps. EGT probe will be hooked up next run and dataloged. a/f was around 14-15 at 30% throttle but did have some rough spots. I may have a timing issue and would like to know some oppinions before i continue tuning.

air temp was around 40-45f
Old 02-08-2009, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Switched from log manifold to Tubular, should under hood temps increase?

Generally they will heat things up more under the hood. You now have more surface area on the manifold that can transfer heat.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Switched from log manifold to Tubular, should under hood temps increase?

Originally Posted by SOHC_MShue
Generally they will heat things up more under the hood. You now have more surface area on the manifold that can transfer heat.
would it be smart to wrap the manifold to help keep the underhood temps down or will that cause the manifold to crack?
Old 02-08-2009, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I've heard, that manifold will split like hot butter if you wrap it.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mephistopheles
From what I've heard, that manifold will split like hot butter if you wrap it.
unlikely. Unless its a chinese manifold. Any solid manifold will be able to take header wrap.
I header wrapped mine, but only because it was mig welded mild steel and I didnt care if it rusted faster. Unless you plan on driving 10 years like that in very moist enviroments the manifold will NOT rust through.

Yes you will lose bling, and yes your underhood temps will be much cooler. I can touch my manifold for a few seconds after doing a few pulls without getting burnt. it may help spool the turbo spool faster too, although this is debatable and probably more true for diesels.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

leave it alone.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not a big fan of heatwrap, but it's up to you in the end.

Just whatever you do, watch yourself when you're working on your car after it's been running. I've gotten instant, INSTANT, 2nd degree burns from bumping mine when it was hot.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i think instead of the header wrap, im going to put some heat tape on the hood, and put a 10" fan on the intercooler directly infront of the turbo and manifold, so it will constantly draw air in when its at idle and have it shut off above say 1500-1800 rpms. that way the intercooler stays nice and cool, and there is always a constant supply of cool air blowing under the hood.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Snail Tuning
well i think instead of the header wrap, im going to put some heat tape on the hood, and put a 10" fan on the intercooler directly infront of the turbo and manifold, so it will constantly draw air in when its at idle and have it shut off above say 1500-1800 rpms. that way the intercooler stays nice and cool, and there is always a constant supply of cool air blowing under the hood.

lol now it sounds like you are setting up a massive computer case or a home theater cabinet. Cooler the better i reckon.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Get it coated
Old 02-09-2009, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Add a custom heatshield... Problem solved
Old 02-09-2009, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tony the Tiger
Add a custom heatshield... Problem solved
Tony I'd like to see your version of a ramhorn style heatsheild.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I contacted my manifold maker and they said coatings void the lifetime warranty, however they said header wraps were perfectly fine to use. I suggest you do the same and follow their recommendations....dont forget to save the email in case any problems arise in the future
Old 02-09-2009, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Possible solutions: get a better fan (SPAL) that doesn't have false ratings, get a shroud between your rad & fan, thicker rad, wrap your manifold/add stainless heat sheilds. The last method stops RADIANT heat while BLINGIN' like a gang-sta. That's the major reason most people don't wrap up, for show.

My exhaust is wraped like a mummy, and surface temps are between 250-400F lower, and radiant heat is a fraction of what it was previous. After a several boosted minutes, the fan rarely kicks on, and I never log over 192F. Radiant heat is the #1 problem, as it directly heats your radiator, coolant tubes, and everything else. I have some special diy bake-on ceramic coating I'm going to try soon (got a long time ago), but may not because the header wrap has worked so well.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SovXietday
Tony I'd like to see your version of a ramhorn style heatsheild.
Haha, that reminds me I need to take a picture of my heatshield... It has been on the car for a few months now and I don't have a pic of it...lol It looks kinda plain, nothing spectacular though.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by CRXdan
unlikely. Unless its a chinese manifold. Any solid manifold will be able to take header wrap.
I header wrapped mine, but only because it was mig welded mild steel and I didnt care if it rusted faster. Unless you plan on driving 10 years like that in very moist enviroments the manifold will NOT rust through.

Yes you will lose bling, and yes your underhood temps will be much cooler. I can touch my manifold for a few seconds after doing a few pulls without getting burnt. it may help spool the turbo spool faster too, although this is debatable and probably more true for diesels.
Totally not true, I've seen japanese manifolds split like butter, and chinese manifolds hold up to drift type (I'm talking competitively like D1, etc.) abuse on multiple cars. The chinese manfiolds are often thicker than the Japanese counterparts because extrude tube factories in china produce a thicker product.

Your underhood temps should be COOLER with a tubular manifold because there is less mass to radiate heat - what engine management are you on? I'm guessing the manifold threw off your tune...