Notices

Turbo Internal Wastegate Questions?

Old 02-07-2009, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Internal Wastegate Questions?

I have a Turboed D16z6 that i just pulled out of my car last weekend, i have a VTEC D15B from japan that i just got. ok, the real problem is that I have an IHI RHB5 VJ11 Turbo and the wastegate is F****D. It controls no boost, I've been searching all over the internet trying to find a wastegate for this turbo, but can't find a specific one for my turbo, its a single port, 5-10lb control wastegate that has a 4" long stem. Can i just use a similiar wastegate, will it work correctly? If anyone knows of a place that has a very large selection of Internal Wastegates it would be awesome if you could let me know about it. Also if anybody knows of a place with good priced turbo cams that would also be great.............oh ya, also, can I change my internal wastegate to an external wastegate? If so how?

Last edited by gooberguy31; 02-07-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Turbo Internal Wastegate Questions?

Shouldn't be to hard to a source a wastegate actuator. As long as you can make the bracket fit properly you can use any internal WG actuator.

Are you sure its the actuator? What are you using to control the boost?
Old 02-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm almost positive its the Actuator. I was driving on the highway for like 3 hrs once, and there was a weird noise then my boost was able to go from 6lbs to 10lbs, which it had never done before, it always stopped at 6lbs. I have a manual boost controller on my car now, but at that time, i didn't have anything to control it with, it was just set and 6lbs. I'm worried about the bracket because the actuator doesn't remove from the bracket, and i cant tell on pics if the brackets will fit. I also am worried that i'm going to get too long of a Actuator stem or something. I just dont want to F**K things up in my car.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Go to ATPturbo.com and under the wastegate section, you should be able to find a variety of wastegates that could work with your current turbo.

As long as the actuator rod is not preloading the flapper arm too much, or if its not causing the flapper to stay open, it will work.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:30 AM

Yes any wastegate will work you might have to fabricate a custom bracket, the IHI turbo holes are usually much different than the garret bolts... When you get the actuator set it up and use compressed air to make sure you are getting proper flap movement when pressure is applied. Make sure not to locate it at funny angles or you're going to get issues.

ATP is a good source, George is a good guy...