Notices

supercharged civic

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default supercharged civic

i got a 97 civic dx.. i got a y8 in it.. i want to know what to go with a jackson racing supercharger or a turbo.. i went into thinking the supercharger is 2000.. the turbo is 2500 .. then i still gotta get the car tuned after turbo, then gotta the conversion harness for it.. or should i just get the supercharger.. i am just looking for suggestions on what i should do.. i got 3000 to throw out at it.. let me know
Old 11-21-2006, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

turbo>supercharge

search
Old 11-21-2006, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dizzyek)

Turbo.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: supercharged civic (vahonda97)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aaronISthrowed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Turbo. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 11-21-2006, 10:50 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

superchargers are lame....especially on a D
Old 11-21-2006, 11:35 PM
Man U FTW

^^ That's because superchargers are lame
Old 11-22-2006, 05:32 AM

but alot of people told me that if i boosted it , it would put alot of straign on my motor.. and the super charger wont.. i drive the hell out of my car so would i have any problems if i boosted it , cuz thats really wat i want to do with it.. love the blow off valve... and them turbos on ebay for like 600 says it comes with everything, t3t4 turbo, blowoff, piping, wastegate, intercooler, turbo manifold, etc.. are they aight turbos or a waist of money..
Old 11-22-2006, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You frequently get what you pay for. Cheap stuff on ebay is frequently junky and causes problems. Unless you really know exactly what you want, I'd advise avoiding ebay.

Turbos will put more strain on your motor, but they will make more power, I know that sounds obvious, but that's just how it works. Because the turbo response is non-linear, especially with the small turbo in a basic kit, even at the same PSI setting it will flow more air at lower valve speeds than a supercharger will, giving it more time to create cylinder pressure at low RPM's, and creating the big surge of power that you feel when the turbo spools. Superchargers have linear response, creating linear torque response (no rush of power, just a smooth delivery that is consistent at any RPM).

If you get the bug later to up the boost, your options with the supercharger are limited, whereas with a turbo you can invest in upgraded engine management and turn up the boost until you're satisfied or your motor blows up. That's good and bad for turbos, it's easier to make more power, but boost is addictive and you find yourself always wanting just a little more. I and many others have blown up our motors just from adding a little bit more boost than we had before. Here's a link to a good writeup somebody did about that:

http://s115271005.onlinehome.u...p.htm

All that said, for adding some extra kick to a stock daily driver I like the JRSC, mostly for it's torque curve and throttle response. If you keep it at 6-7 PSI, then it works well, is pretty efficient, and should be reliable for a long time. They sell for $1995.00 now, and that's brand-new full-price from the manufacturer. The engine management is pretty crude, as it is with any inexpensive basic kit, but they make a MAP sensor controller for $129.00 new that fixes 90% of the engine management deficiencies of the basic kit and is easy to wire into the car. I'd also invest in an upgraded fuel pump (if you go turbo or supercharger), just to be on the safe side, as the FMU in a basic kit will seriously raise your fuel pressure. You can get the high-pressure/high-flow Walbro pump for around $100.

If you go with the supercharger, then your friends with turbos will probably beat you at drag racing. If winning drag races is important to you, then you should probably get a turbo, although a nitrous kit for your SC car would also work for drag racing, but like I said before, more power=more strain.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:21 AM
Man U FTW

^^I agree

whoever you were talking to was an idiot....supercharging and turboing are going to both put stress on your engine....it doesn't matter the PSI of either one, but the fact that your engine would be making 100% more than stock output (more or less)...that's the stressor
Old 11-22-2006, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if your trying to be fast without spending a lot of money just throw it on the bottle. Supercharging a single cam will make a difference but you will mostlikely still lose to stock b16s and gsrs all day . I.E. when i went to bakersfield a few weeks ago,some guy in a eg coupe with a (D16Z6) sohc vtec motor with a jackson racing supercharger tuned on hondata raced me 4 times. I beat him 3 times (crx w/ 1st gen B16a) by 2-3 car lengths and the one i lost is because i spun way too much in first. i thought he had a swapped motor for sure but i was suprised when he showed me that it was a single cam.He was amazed that my stock b16 was smashing on him.Turbo is expensive but can be just as reliable as a supercharger if the motor is built to handle the boost and if its tuned properly. If your car is going to be a DD then i would buy a good header, throw a big cam in there, P&P the head, Skunk2 IM, Bigger TB, some stiffer springs, some colder plugs and throw it on a 50 shot. i guarantee you that setup will beat a lot of Supercharged sohcs. But if you go the turbo route you will have a top end beast but you cant boost more that 6-7 lbs at the most on a stock block, especially for DD.