Notices

Super Charger on a civic?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Super Charger on a civic?

Why do so many people go against this? i mean turbo is good when you're trying to race people, but when you are daily driving , isn't a supercharger better? since it's not like you are gonna go past 4k every day .

i might plan to put a super charger on mine one day but i just want to know why a super charger over a turbo charger. why a turbo charger over a super charger. and i'm talking about a daily car that you won't race but when you wanna pass someone you feel the power when doing so.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Super Charger on a civic?

Two points might be pointed out. 1.The supercharger has a very annoying whine to it. 2. It works off belt and pulley... Which means the engine has to be rotating more faster adding extra pressure with could blow the engine.. Unlike turbo which uses the exhaust gases to push the turbine. Hence less unburnt fuel.

A supercharger set up will run you around the same area of a engine swap... Bigger engine..
Old 02-15-2014, 12:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There's covered a lot of times and one page isn't enough.

But the main difference in performance is Low vs Top Power.

Supercharger= instant power from take off but until certain RPM range when the HP/TQ curve went flat.

Turbo= Start to build boost later in the RPM range but once build is till Red line.

Other big concern is the cooling capacity:

Most superchargers are a heat source connected to your head intake side with out the ability of cooling it (root, screw types) most common for Honda. Raising your IAT's to sky, There's several companies that make Heat exchangers (root, screw) or intercoolers for the Centrifugal type but they are very pricey.

Turbo although they work with exhaust power a correct sized intercooler most of the time is enough to reliable control the temperatures.

This is a few differences.

For your driving style and not race in mind the Supercharger is a good way to go for D.D. but a good sized turbo kit do the trick perfect too.

Good luck!!!
Old 02-15-2014, 03:03 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

The biggest problem with a supercharger on a 4 cylinder is the amount of power required to turn the supercharger in the first place. There's not a whole lot of net gain, especially not for the money. You're better off with a small, quick spooling turbo.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My old car. Running 7.5psi. It was a lot of fun as a DD, but no where near "fast". As for the whine being annoying, that is purely an opinion. I loved it.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:49 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Damn 2k for a supercharger and thats all you got? Were internals stock, if so than I understand.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

supercharging is useful when you have displacement..

ergo why when you are boosting a honda, 9 times out of 10 it isnt a supercharger.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:53 AM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Like 94eg8 said, the biggest problem with a supercharger is the parasitic loss. It takes power to make power, unlike a turbo that just makes power. Unless you use a centrifugal supercharger, aftercoolers are more complicated (and more expensive) to install than intercoolers, and the generated heat is another loss in power. The supercharger whine is completely subjective - some people like it, some people hate it, some people don't even notice it.

Since you specifically mentioned daily driving a FI car, there's one other thing that no one else has mentioned yet - exhaust noise. Superchargers like big, unrestricted, wide open exhausts. That kind of exhaust is loud. A turbo acts as a baffle in your exhaust, making it naturally quieter. If you live somewhere with strict noise codes for cars, turbo is definitely the way to go - staying legal with a supercharger would just be shooting yourself in the foot.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:13 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chillerice
Two points might be pointed out. 1.The supercharger has a very annoying whine to it. 2. It works off belt and pulley... Which means the engine has to be rotating more faster adding extra pressure with could blow the engine.. Unlike turbo which uses the exhaust gases to push the turbine. Hence less unburnt fuel.

A supercharger set up will run you around the same area of a engine swap... Bigger engine..

This post is just full of stupid.

Originally Posted by carlos8
There's covered a lot of times and one page isn't enough.

But the main difference in performance is Low vs Top Power.

Supercharger= instant power from take off but until certain RPM range when the HP/TQ curve went flat.

Turbo= Start to build boost later in the RPM range but once build is till Red line.

Other big concern is the cooling capacity:

Most superchargers are a heat source connected to your head intake side with out the ability of cooling it (root, screw types) most common for Honda. Raising your IAT's to sky, There's several companies that make Heat exchangers (root, screw) or intercoolers for the Centrifugal type but they are very pricey.

Turbo although they work with exhaust power a correct sized intercooler most of the time is enough to reliable control the temperatures.

This is a few differences.

For your driving style and not race in mind the Supercharger is a good way to go for D.D. but a good sized turbo kit do the trick perfect too.

Good luck!!!

Ever heard of a gt28rs?

To the op.

If you want instant power for daily driving build a setup with a small turbo. Figure out a horsepower goal and go from there. Look up user tonythetiger he knows all about instant boost lol
Old 02-15-2014, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ever heard of a gt28rs?

quoted from my post:

but a good sized turbo kit do the trick perfect too.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aaronfunstuff
Why do so many people go against this? i mean turbo is good when you're trying to race people, but when you are daily driving , isn't a supercharger better? since it's not like you are gonna go past 4k every day .

i might plan to put a super charger on mine one day but i just want to know why a super charger over a turbo charger. why a turbo charger over a super charger. and i'm talking about a daily car that you won't race but when you wanna pass someone you feel the power when doing so.
I have the Edelbrock Turbo kit on my EX. Before getting too much into it let me share, I also have an 03 Expedition and I drive that thing slow and boring. The Civic....

4k....go over that every day. Hell I'm pretty sure I'll hit 6800 at least once per trip I take with it. Boost, it's fun. I love the sounds of the turbo, the BOV, the wastegate. It's so much of a joy I don't even bother with the stereo, ever. I don't race it, I just enjoy it...a lot. I don't care if I'm side by side with an R32 or all on my own, I just like enjoying my car.

You will go over 4k, often once you have a toy that adds boost. Charger or Turbo.

That said, I struggle with traction issues in 1st with just 5psi, I don't even let the turbo get to 7, it's pointless.

Supercharger/Turbo, it's really up to you and what you want.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NotARacist

Since you specifically mentioned daily driving a FI car, there's one other thing that no one else has mentioned yet - exhaust noise. Superchargers like big, unrestricted, wide open exhausts. That kind of exhaust is loud. A turbo acts as a baffle in your exhaust, making it naturally quieter. If you live somewhere with strict noise codes for cars, turbo is definitely the way to go - staying legal with a supercharger would just be shooting yourself in the foot.

They both like big open exhausts. The turbo may be a baffle but it's not that big of an effect.

Engines are air pumps, the easier it can pump the air the more power it's going to make.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turbohatch96y7
This post is just full of stupid.

Ever heard of a gt28rs?

To the op.

If you want instant power for daily driving build a setup with a small turbo. Figure out a horsepower goal and go from there. Look up user tonythetiger he knows all about instant boost lol
Dude if you have nothing sensible to add just go drive your car off a cliff...

What ever my post said it's the similar as 94EG8 is trying to explain.... The engine has to spin so much harder to make power which in case is a 4 banger that with excess pressure and stock internal your engine will immediately snap..

The OP asked about a supercharger as opposed to turbo... He never asked on the types of turbo.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe you can get better fuel economy with a turbo than you can with a supercharger based on spooling characteristics. I believe that is why there is a shift in the current auto industry to turbocharging smaller motors instead of large discplacement motors.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:41 AM
I never narc'd on nobody!

The OP asked about a supercharger as opposed to turbo... He never asked on the types of turbo.
Yes, because a GT25 and a GT45 are the same thing, so you can TOTALLY just ignore what kind of turbo when comparing different types of FI...

You can't just make blanket statements and compare all superchargers to all turbochargers. It doesn't work that way.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:53 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Look at his screen name lulz . Someone needs to edit out posts like his so false info doesn't keep spreading.

Last edited by turbohatch96y7; 02-17-2014 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARacist
Yes, because a GT25 and a GT45 are the same thing, so you can TOTALLY just ignore what kind of turbo when comparing different types of FI...

You can't just make blanket statements and compare all superchargers to all turbochargers. It doesn't work that way.
but i thought the girls said size doesnt matter?

im speaking hypothetically, ive never heard one say that specifically..
Old 02-17-2014, 03:04 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Freemananana
I believe you can get better fuel economy with a turbo than you can with a supercharger based on spooling characteristics.
Sort of, if you drive like grandma and stay out of boost then yes you get better mileage. If you drive hard or even moderately hard you're likely to get worse mileage than a V6.

Originally Posted by Freemananana
I believe that is why there is a shift in the current auto industry to turbocharging smaller motors instead of large discplacement motors.
It has more to do with making the EPA estimates look good for CAFE standards than anything else. An F-150 with a V6 Eco-Boost gets great mileage, until you try to haul or tow something with it.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:37 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The engine has to spin so much harder to make power which in case is a 4 banger that with excess pressure and stock internal your engine will immediately....
so many things wrong with this statement that I don't even know where to start, or if I even should start.....

the internet these days... fml. reminds me of that state farm commercial about everything on the internet being true trololol