Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Turbo vs Super

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 01:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo vs Super

i'll stamp myself as a n00b before any of you get a chance..i scoped the forum..mildly..but couldnt really find anything that satisfied me...

i got a tuned b16a jdm....

i dont know much about car tuning..just basics and im gradually learning...

i see there is a greater leverage to the turbo demographic on this particular (civic) forum..

but really if maybe could drop some knowledge on them both and what would suit my engine better..or if thats not even the case...the attributes both of these acquire and what makes them differenty..or better than one another..if anyone knows a webpage..or anything with information on them....but primarily how they measure up against one another...

thanx

once again..sorry for bein a n00b but you gotta start somewhere
Old 09-04-2005, 01:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

turbo feeds off of wasted energy while a supercharger feeds off potential energy. in a turbo engine the power is at high RPM.

while a supercharger gives you more power from low RPM. so in essence its like having a bigger engine.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:39 AM
grammer nawzi

Default Re: (gapergurlie_18)

Why don't you go down a few floors and ask this question in Forced Induciton. . . just a thought
Old 09-04-2005, 01:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sicky)

sorry..good idea...

Old 09-04-2005, 02:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

both will suit your engine it depends what you are looking for... turbo has more potential... at the same time there is a bigger chance to blow your engine if something goes outta proportion.... so it's more risky... turbo charger's compressor wheel is motviated by the exhaust gases from your engine... the more gases the more air is pushed into the engine...

super charger... a little safer... same principal... super charger operates like an alternator, A/C or power steering where a belt from the crank operates the super charger wheel... which in effect compresses air and pushes it in the engine... the higher RPM the more air you get from the engine...

super charger is a little easier to work with whereas the turbo charger has more potential for power

more people do turbo for different reasons... one of them being used turbos are plentiful and get be gotten for cheaper... also, there is more info on turbos than superchargers both in tuning and building
Old 09-04-2005, 02:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civic_driver)

im under the impression that you get more torque out of a turbo..but the thing is..i really in the long run just want to play it safe as far as keeping my engine from undergoing too much stress..im doing akot of reading..turbo does seem funner..with more options and versatility...(also more popular as i see barely anything or nothing on superchargers in the turbo/super forum down there)...

super gains are gradual..but is it possible to get that torque that you get from post lag on turbos?...i'd really love it if i saw my girlfriend's head hit the headrest in her seat lol...
Old 09-04-2005, 06:48 AM

Default Re: (Siberian Husky)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Siberian Husky &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im under the impression that you get more torque out of a turbo..but the thing is..i really in the long run just want to play it safe as far as keeping my engine from undergoing too much stress..im doing akot of reading..turbo does seem funner..with more options and versatility...(also more popular as i see barely anything or nothing on superchargers in the turbo/super forum down there)...

super gains are gradual..but is it possible to get that torque that you get from post lag on turbos?...i'd really love it if i saw my girlfriend's head hit the headrest in her seat lol...</TD></TR></TABLE>

You should get more hp and tq out of a turbo (in the long run) since they both occur up higher in the rpm band in a smaller motor. If you really want to knock your girlfriend's head back, an s/c will definitely give you better throttle response, but if you get a small turbo, you will still get pretty good response. A bigger turbo will generally give less response with more power potential.

It is kind of ironic how Honda's get knocked for the small displacement and low torque, yet most "tuners" get turbos for the high end. ?? I just love the feel of the pressure when it hits.

-Shane