Notices

stupid questions on wastegates

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stupid questions on wastegates

I have been searching the archives and I still don't understand something. In some pics people use a dump tube from the wastegate to either go back to downpipe or dump to atmosphere. Some other pics I see that the wastegate doesn't have a dump tube or anything and it seems like it just dumps in the engine bay? Am I inferring right bout that or is there something else to it?
Also how does the exhaust piping look from the exhaust side of the turbo if it has a internal wastegate? Is it split right after the turbo or does it route back together before downpipe?

sorry if this sounds stupid, but what's H-T for
thanks

Old 01-10-2005, 12:57 PM

Default Re: stupid questions on wastegates (Lil Corb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lil Corb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have been searching the archives and I still don't understand something. In some pics people use a dump tube from the wastegate to either go back to downpipe or dump to atmosphere. Some other pics I see that the wastegate doesn't have a dump tube or anything and it seems like it just dumps in the engine bay? Am I inferring right bout that or is there something else to it?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

right. . as for the other question, not sure because I have an ext wg. . .
Old 01-10-2005, 01:00 PM

Default Re: stupid questions on wastegates (4-banging)

In an internal wastegate it is just a little door inside the exhaust housing, with a flapper covering it on the other side. There's a diaphragm inside the actuator just like on an internal wastegate that opens the flapper once X amount of boost is reached.

For the exhaust, you can have a downpipe that merges the wastegate with the flow from the turbine straight off the bat, you can have a seperate pipe dumped to atmosphere, or you could also have it re-rounted back into the downpipe further down to reduce turbulence.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:05 PM

Default Re: stupid questions on wastegates (4-banging)

thanks, I have another question.

Some wastegates that I see have the wastegate at the very top of the pipe, I assume it dumps off to in the engine bay. But how would the spring work if it's at the top, if where the actual wastegate pipe and manifold meet far away from it?

thanks
Old 01-10-2005, 01:41 PM

I found a pic to explain wut I mean

see how the wastegate is all the way at the end of the piping, how does the spring work that far?
Old 01-10-2005, 01:43 PM

The wastegate is just a simple valve, like your exhaust valve. You feed a line with pressurized air from the intake manifold to the wastegate, which causes the wastegate to open when X amount of boost pressure is reaching the motor. That wastegate setup is feeding from where the internal gate is normally mounted, and it really isn't a very good setup. Those usually lead to a lot more boost creep than a traditional manifold mounted wastegate.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:01 PM

Default Re: stupid questions on wastegates (b16coupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16coupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The wastegate is just a simple valve, like your exhaust valve. You feed a line with pressurized air from the intake manifold to the wastegate, which causes the wastegate to open when X amount of boost pressure is reaching the motor. That wastegate setup is feeding from where the internal gate is normally mounted, and it really isn't a very good setup. Those usually lead to a lot more boost creep than a traditional manifold mounted wastegate.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I understant that but that pic how does the valve work if it's at the end of the piping. In a internal wastegate the valve is right at the entrance so it's side by side. In that pic above the valve would be at the end and it doesn't seem like it would work that high?
thanks

EDIT: i get it, the pressure builds in the pipe then the wastegate opens.

thanks to all

Modified by Lil Corb at 6:19 PM 1/10/2005