Notices

Studs instead of bolts on the exhaust housing to hold downpipe on. Anyone did this before?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Studs instead of bolts on the exhaust housing to hold downpipe on. Anyone did this before?

I have a turbonetics T3/T4 that I recently got. I had some of the hardware to hold the downpipe on but the bolts were old and rusty so I went and got some new and ran a tap down the holes on the exhaust housing. Well the bolts that I got were to long and the threads on the housing arent in the greatest shape. Also when I install my downpipe Im gonna have to have a bolt that permanently stays in flange because of the pipe itself being in the way of the bolt.

What I was thinking about was finding some studs and installing them instead of having bolts holding the downpipe on. That way I can just mount the downpipe up there put some nuts on the studs and there you go. Just like what honda uses for the exhaust manifold, intake manifold, throttle body, etc.

So who has done this and where did you find the studs. Will the stock Honda studs work I cant remember what thread pitch and size they are.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:01 PM

Default Re: Studs instead of bolts on the exhaust housing to hold downpipe on. Anyone did this before? (ring

alot of people do this especially when using a 3" downpipe because you almost have no choice to with 3", there are a lot of threads use the search. the bolts on my turbo to downpipe are 8mmX1.25 thread pitch, if you cleaned the threads with a tap then look at the tap, that would be the thread pitch you need
Old 12-08-2005, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Studs instead of bolts on the exhaust housing to hold downpipe on. Anyone did this before? (ring

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by agrn93ls &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">alot of people do this especially when using a 3" downpipe because you almost have no choice to with 3", there are a lot of threads use the search. the bolts on my turbo to downpipe are 8mmX1.25 thread pitch, if you cleaned the threads with a tap then look at the tap, that would be the thread pitch you need</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I already searched that is why I asked. I know to search before I ask a question on here since I have been on here since 2001 and plus Im sure someone has done it before. Anyways I didnt see anything on it. I know that my holes on my exhaust housing are 8x1.25 thread pitch and I would know to look at the tap size to tell that as well or either my thread guage.

Do they sell the studs that I would need at Lowes or maybe an auto parts store? I dont recall seeing any.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

should be an M8x1.25 thread pitch..............ACE harware .90 cents a piece
Old 12-09-2005, 02:14 AM
TSPeed Factory

Default Re: (mrbsponge)

i had a setup similar to that. of the 5 bolt flange, one was a stud with a nut on it. most importantly of all, BE SURE TO USE LOCKING WASHERS. i learned the hard way.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AzntaggeR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ringgold &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Will the stock Honda studs work I cant remember what thread pitch and size they are. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes they will they are also 8x1.25.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I did it before I got smart and went to V bands. It workes better then bolts, but can still be a PITA on the lower bolts of the housing.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I just bought a heat treated 8x1.25 stud at a 46mm length and that seems to long. Also the stud that I just bought was 2.25 each!!! I mean its not alot but surprised me. Im gonna have to take my turbo and downpipe with me to a hardware store I guess what looks right to me doesnt work to well on the turbo
Old 12-09-2005, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by agrn93ls &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">alot of people do this especially when using a 3" downpipe because you almost have no choice to with 3", there are a lot of threads use the search. the bolts on my turbo to downpipe are 8mmX1.25 thread pitch, if you cleaned the threads with a tap then look at the tap, that would be the thread pitch you need</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was able to get bolts on my 3" downpipe. I also have the 4-bolt turbine housing. It was a PITA though and I may switch to studs next time I take it off.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah it looks like I got the right size studs for my turbo and downpipe. Got them from a local hardware store for $2.35 a piece and got some lock washers and nuts from there. Hope it all works fine which Im sure it will.