Notices

ARP studs for exhaust manifold and downpipe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2003, 07:25 PM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ARP studs for exhaust manifold and downpipe?

I looked at ARP's website and couldn't find much to tell me which studs to use for the manifold and downpipe. I know the sizes (thanks to Flamenco-T's great thread) but ARP has so many different types of studs I don't which to get.

Any recommendations?
Old 02-04-2003, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: ARP studs for exhaust manifold and downpipe? (Rain_man)

any particular reason you want arp studs for those? I've never seen any arp's, but any stud should work. Go to your local nut and bolt or aircraft supply place and pick up what you need.
Old 02-04-2003, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you won't find them....ARP is not going to make a threads that is not gonna be marketable...

what you do is either get stock honda ones, they kick ***...or get a stainless steel double ended studs, which are imposible to find..or you can use a stainless steel bolts which home depot carry...

or buy a grade 8 high temp studs/bolts at your local hardware store..

I like stainless steel because they tends to expand more that steel, threfore creating a tighter fit...between the threads

I used stock honda studs on the exhaust manifold to the head, stainless steel bolts/lock washers on the manifold to turbo, and stainless steel studs and bolts combine on the downpipe...

stan
Old 02-04-2003, 08:17 PM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ARP studs for exhaust manifold and downpipe? (Flamenco-T)

I just wanted to use a high quality fastener to hold everything together and it seemed that the easiest thing would be to get something made by arp. I mean how expensive could 9 studs be, especially if it's not going to their high stress ones used inside the engine.

But if Honda makes some great ones that works for me too... Stan, any reason why you chose to use bolts instead of studs for bolting manifold and turbo together?
Old 02-04-2003, 11:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Stan, any reason why you chose to use bolts instead of studs for bolting manifold and turbo together?
I wanted to use a stainless steel bolts or studs, but again it was impossible to find an SS studs, so I went with an SS bolts.
Old 02-04-2003, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

another trick, take out the whole shatf and compressor housing by undoing the 6 13mm bolts on the turbine housing side, that way you only have the manifold and the turbine housing alone, it'll make it easier for you to use a socket to tighteed it down versus a wrench in a tight spot since the oil feed fitting 100% in the way of one if not two of the four bolts

do it like this

after you tightened all four bolts, then put the shaft and compressor housing back again...

stan