Notices

stop looking at anytopic you're looking at and help me... plz!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stop looking at anytopic you're looking at and help me... plz!

k, well i finally got my fully built b18a in my car and i was experiencing some bogging and sluggish acceleration so i checked my timing belt and the cams were WAY off, like the belt slipped, when i checked it, it wasn't very tight at all... now time for my question

Is there ANY POSSIBLE way to check if the crank is at TDC (so the timing belt pulley is lined up wit hthe mark on the block) withOUT taking the crank pulley off or the head? My crank pulley will NOT come off... air tools, some extension bars, and me legpressing the 3/4" drive 17mm ratchet didn't do anything, it just made the car lurch forward (car was on the ground so the tires wouldn't just spin)

Cliff notes: anyway to check TDC without pulling the crank pulley or head off?!

-Ryan
Old 10-27-2003, 08:19 PM

Default Re: stop looking at anytopic you're looking at and help me... plz! (tegasaurus)

There are timing marks on the Crank pulley itself, its usually the one away for the ones bunched together, sometimes marked in white/yellow. mark this notch with the small line on the timing cover. Its pretty easy to bring that to TDC. its getting enough slack in the tbelt to slip on the belt over the cam gears and then properly adjust the tensionar.. I mean there are ways of doing it, just gotta be good
Old 10-27-2003, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: stop looking at anytopic you're looking at and help me... plz! (tegasaurus)

You can check by the marks if you stick something like your dipstick down the sparkplug hole and rotate the motor till it gets to TDC. Note it will be there on the way up and on the pistons way down. Correct me if I'm wrong but TDC should be measured when the piston reachs its highest point on its way UP.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

some deep thought just made me realize this:

I can tkae the spark plugs out and stick something in the hole (stick like object) move the crank pulley so the pistons go up and down, then measure when its at his highest point

eureka! But which pistons are suppose to be at TDC? 1 and 4 or 2 and 3?

-Ryan

EDIT: soundeffects owns me
Old 10-27-2003, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: stop looking at anytopic you're looking at and help me... plz! (AbaZ)

i have a crank pulley from a 1990 integra, there is no awy you can see any color but brown on the damn thing, however i noticed there's a hole drilled into it (not by a person, from factory) is that the marker?

aohh, all these idea... thanks guys, i love you all... who wants some money in their paypal account? jk
Old 10-27-2003, 08:25 PM

jesus christ, "stick your finger in the hole" do it like the old v8 guys do, lol... man.. just clean off the crank pulley and find your marks, how in the hell do you ever set ignition timing then?! lol

Old 10-27-2003, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: stop looking at anytopic you're looking at and help me... plz! (AbaZ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AbaZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">jesus christ, "stick your finger in the hole" do it like the old v8 guys do, lol... man.. just clean off the crank pulley and find your marks, how in the hell do you ever set ignition timing then?! lol

</TD></TR></TABLE>

what's ignition timing? i just set it slightly retarded and hope for the best haha.

What pistons are suppose to be at TDC? 1 and 4, correct?
Old 10-27-2003, 08:34 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tegasaurus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

what's ignition timing? i just set it slightly retarded and hope for the best haha.

ABOVE

well i finally got my fully built b18a

</TD></TR></TABLE>

jesus dude!

On the compression stroke of #1 (at the top) will be your TDC
Old 10-27-2003, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thank you abaZ
Old 10-27-2003, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There should be marks on the belt cover to line it up properly. Just have to line the arrows up with the dots ( i think it's arrows and dots) You do this for the D16, im pretty sure it's the same for B series as well.

Modified by racinskittle at 6:02 AM 10/28/2003
Old 10-27-2003, 08:53 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tegasaurus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> thank you abaZ </TD></TR></TABLE>

i told you some people on H-T know what they are talking about...

or maybe its just the dudes that hang out in the FI forum
Old 10-27-2003, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dude, it's too easy too type about, just pm me ur #, and i'll help.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: stop looking at anytopic you're looking at and help me... plz! (B16OnTop)

When lining up the cam gears, do i line the arros straight up, or do i line the dots together?

cuz my dots are kinda off, here's what they look like if the arros are straight up

Old 10-27-2003, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pic didn't come out but the dots should go side by side next to each other, when that happens the white mark on the pulley should be lined up with the mark on the oil pump(works on my car?)
Old 10-27-2003, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: stop looking at anytopic you're looking at and help me... plz! (SOUNDEFFECTS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOUNDEFFECTS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Pic didn't come out but the dots should go side by side next to each other, when that happens the white mark on the pulley should be lined up with the mark on the oil pump(works on my car?)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well i decided to make the arrows point straight up and down and not the dots on the cam gears. When i started my car she sounded liek a champ, nice-n-quiet smooth idle at about 800rpm. Then when i got down the street it felt like it had lost ALL power and it would struggle to get up the 3% incline grade in my driveway, so i shut it down right then, loosened the distributor bolts and cocked the top of the distrib all the way back (retard timing, right?) and the problem seemed to go away, slightly - it's still there, just not as bad. when it **** the top of it to the front (advance) the son of a bitch almost dies.

wtf is going on?
Old 10-28-2003, 12:14 AM

my helms manual states the up marks must be direclty up and the TDC marks on the cam gears (the dots) must be facing each other.
Old 10-28-2003, 02:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: stop looking at anytopic you're looking at and help me... plz! (94goldjungsr)

man, it sounds like you lined up the cams right, but you still need to make sure cylinder number 1 is lined up to tdc. Line the mark on the crank pulley to the mark on the timing belt cover.
Old 10-28-2003, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: stop looking at anytopic you're looking at and help me... plz! (intekragsr)

timing belt cover? lol i have none
Old 10-28-2003, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

use the oil pump mark.
Old 10-28-2003, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

for the cam timing you can also use the holes in the cam covers(?). You put a drill bit or punch in them, the intake cam will have one hole that the punch will go all the way through and the opposite hole on the ehaust cam will line up. Once you have those both set then your cams will be in time.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:38 AM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (B18C4-T)

Make sure the tensioner is holding tight still