Notices

Stock Block H22 Turbo Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Block H22 Turbo Questions

Hello all. First off I'd like to state this is my first post in the FI forums since I became a member back in the day. I've been in and out of the honda game for years now, and the time has come for me to finally start a turbo build of my own. I tend to get long-winded when making posts here, but I'd rather supply more info than needed than not enough.

First some history on the vehicle. I recently acquired an '01 Prelude SH with ~97k original miles. Compression tested earlier this week at a dead 220 across the board. She leaks no oil whatsoever and only uses a small amount of oil between changes if I take it into the fun zone pretty often. The car is very lightly modified, full 2.5" catback ss exhaust, short ram intake, and lowered with springs/shocks.

On to what I am looking for. Quality. Reliability. Streetability. Eventually I'd like to do a full engine build and quest for a 400-450whp daily driver, but what I'm looking for at the moment for my first time going boost is a ~300whp stock block daily driver. First and foremost I want to piece together my own setup. I don't feel that a kit is going to provide me what I'm looking for, now or in the long run. For this initial setup I want to keep it fairly simple: fuel pump, injectors, ecu and tune, turbo, manifold, piping and FMIC, 1/2 core rad/fan, lines/fittings/misc.

On to my questions:
1) For my power goal of ~300whp, would 440cc injectors be enough?
2) Turbo choice. Although I've been in the honda game for quite some time, I've never delved into FI personally. The amount of different turbos is staggering now to the point I don't know where to begin. I am looking for cost efficiency (journal bearing) and something that can meet my power goal while providing real-world-drivability. I would much rather err on the side of something somewhat too big for my application as well, being able to stay out of boost to drive in the rain/snow/putt around town. I also want something specifically for the ~300whp area, when I do the upgrade and build later down the road I can always replace the turbo for my new goals.
3) If I'm going to be spending a little extra on something for this beginner setup, its going to be a manifold. Something that can be reused when I do have the funds/time to do the full build and upgrade the turbo. Would the bottom mount AFI manifolds and the like be overkill for what I'm looking for or an investment for later?

I welcome any and all comments, positive and negative. Honda-tech has been a great place since I joined. I trust I'm in good hands here delving into a new area for me.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:30 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Stock Block H22 Turbo Questions

This helped me a lot when I wanted to go turbo.
***Forced Induction Forum FAQ***
Old 07-13-2012, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I've answered my own question as far as injectors using a couple different calculators I've found. Looks like I'm going to want 700cc+. That was easy enough to figure out on my own. The turbo selection on the other hand I'm looking for more opinions from people that have had first hand experience with different size/manufacturer/etc turbos for what I want. I also don't want a total consensus, would much rather hear different suggestions from different people so I can make a more informed decision.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you do not need 700cc injectors for 300whp 440 or 550 would be fine thats not alot of power 700 is way to much for that power range, as far as the turbo really depends on your setup but with 300whp goal i would say get a 50 trim it will make more power than 300 but with low boost will make 300 and pull hard at full boost the stock h22s dont do well with boost because of weak ring glands but with low boost and a good TUNE will be fine, you said youd rather spend more money on a good manifold i recommend spending good money on a good ems will run better and last longer without a good tune it will blow up so keep that in mind. good luck
Old 07-13-2012, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 1fastlude1
you do not need 700cc injectors for 300whp 440 or 550 would be fine thats not alot of power 700 is way to much for that power range, as far as the turbo really depends on your setup but with 300whp goal i would say get a 50 trim it will make more power than 300 but with low boost will make 300 and pull hard at full boost the stock h22s dont do well with boost because of weak ring glands but with low boost and a good TUNE will be fine, you said youd rather spend more money on a good manifold i recommend spending good money on a good ems will run better and last longer without a good tune it will blow up so keep that in mind. good luck
Thanks for the input. I plan on going with an ECTune setup because the best tuner in my area prefers it. Would much rather spend my money on what he is comfortable with than overspending on something he isn't.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I've done some homework on sizing the turbo myself but I'm having a few problems. I've read on a few different forums that using a t4 hotside is better for longevity for H's especially when going stock block for various reasons. Also found out Precision doesn't offer compressor maps for any of their turbos, kinda had my heart set on Precision because of the great deals to be had in the sponsor marketplace.

From my maths, which very well could be flawed, I came up with this:

Airflow: 36.0
MAP: 17.0
Pressure Ratio: 1.16

I've basically just been googling Garret compressor maps and trying to find the correct sized turbo based on my numbers, then carrying those findings over to a Precision offering. Turning out to be harder than I thought to find something though.

Edit: Pretty sure something in my math was off. Tried a few different automated turbo calculators and came up with this:
Name:  McAMS.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  67.0 KB

Last edited by honda_power69; 07-14-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I guess my question now is how to carry this info of a t04b h-trim over to what precision has to offer.