Notices

stainless steel sleeves? Not Honda-related but opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stainless steel sleeves? Not Honda-related but opinions needed

I'm asking this question on behalf of an engineer who wants to make his own sleeves. This is not for a Honda, but a Renault 4wd turbo saloon. You can't get Renault blocks sleeved anywhere, and there's several Renault drivers who want to go down this route so could be a money maker. So the question is, is stainless steel a good or bad material to use for making sleeves, and why?

TIA
Old 05-30-2005, 12:20 PM

Default Re: stainless steel sleeves? Not Honda-related but opinions needed (angela_itr)

ttt - anyone got any opinions on this? I've tried telling my b/f to get rid of the Renault and go Honda but he's not having any of it
Old 05-30-2005, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: stainless steel sleeves? Not Honda-related but opinions needed (angela_itr)

Where do I begin.
Machinable:Difficult to turn on conventional machines compared to ductile iron.Resistive to abrasive machining such as honing.
Stability:Contracts and expands more than ductile iron over the heat range an engine will see.
Compatibility:Readily available rings are designed to run against cast or ductile iron.You will probably have rapid wear against SS.Kind of an unknown.As will as piston skirt wear.
Cost:Several times that on ductile iron.
Strength: It will be stronger per the same wall thickness.If you have to run a really thin sleeve it will have an advantage in strength.

Ductile iron is a real good choice for engine sleeves.Darton and LA Sleeve will make customs and have a lot of real world experience over a wide range of applications.I can only see playing with SS would be in an environment that would corrode ductile iron.
Glenn
Old 05-30-2005, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In a sentence, the rings just wont seat properly with a SS sleeve as compared to Ductile iron.
Old 05-30-2005, 01:51 PM

Default Re: stainless steel sleeves? Not Honda-related but opinions needed (earl)

Thanks for the replies In response...

Cost: not an issue
Machining: not an issue
Application: "floating sleeves" with thin wall, prone to cracking in stock design
To work with JE pistons & rings, currently on order

The idea originally came from Renault motorsport where ss sleeves were apparently used in europa cup cars back in late 80s.

So if its better to use ductile iron, is there a tougher grade that can be used to improve the stock design? Or can it be coated/hardened somehow?

NB. this is a '91 car but the engine goes back to '86...