Notices

Stainless steal oil feed line how close can it run the manifold.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 02:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stainless steal oil feed line how close can it run the manifold.

Hey all I recently killed my turbo buy not having a “good” oil flow though my turbo, it was to much on a angle, and yeah caused problems, but for me to run it true straight up and down I have to run the oil send line touching the exhaust manifold (this is a max rev manifold) does anyone know if stainless steal braded hosing can withstand high temp.. or am I playing with fire running the oil send line so close to the manifold.

Also what kind of angels do you guys have your oil feed entering / leaving the turbo.. because I was told not to have it more than 4 degrees, if possible !

Regards James

Old 12-20-2002, 04:48 AM

Default Re: Stainless steal oil feed line how close can it run the manifold. (BLKCRX)

You shouldn't have the oil feed line against the manifold, the hose is rubber underneath and is not that resistant to heat. I haven't heard about having to run the feed line straight up and down. It is fed by the engines pressure. You may be confusing your friends advice with the return line. You should have your return line as straight down from the turbo as you can. The return line relies on gravity to allow the oil to leave the turbo. You want to make sure both your feed and return lines are not kinked.
Old 12-20-2002, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stainless steal oil feed line how close can it run the manifold. (Farnsrocket)

You shouldn't have the oil feed line against the manifold, the hose is rubber underneath and is not that resistant to heat. I haven't heard about having to run the feed line straight up and down. It is fed by the engines pressure. You may be confusing your friends advice with the return line. You should have your return line as straight down from the turbo as you can. The return line relies on gravity to allow the oil to leave the turbo. You want to make sure both your feed and return lines are not kinked.
You can get steel braided hoses that have a teflon core, which can withstand MUCH higher temperatures. Also, farnsrocket is right, you don't need the feed to be close to vertical...common practice is to put the return as close to vertical as possible, though I don't think this is really necessary if the return is large enough in diameter and doesn't have MUCH of a bend...