Notices

??? ssautochrome

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2004, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ??? ssautochrome

I was looking into buying a turbo kit from ssautochrome!
I've heard alot of negative things about them...have any of you had any problems with them...
i heard the only thing they offer that is okay...is the turbo mani.
most people say the turbo are junk..
Old 12-25-2004, 09:54 AM

Default Re: ??? ssautochrome (b18tegg)

to put it nicely, its a cheap beginners turbo kit, basically.

some people have good luck, some have bad, the kit isnt nowhere near the best. if u take care of it, itll take care of u.
Old 12-25-2004, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ??? ssautochrome (LSturboEH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LSturboEH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">to put it nicely, its a cheap beginners turbo kit, basically.

some people have good luck, some have bad, the kit isnt nowhere near the best. if u take care of it, itll take care of u. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I couldn't agree more. Very well put.

Ive seen 300whp+ cars with this manifold but many of the experienced well tell you to stay way. Its your call!
Old 12-25-2004, 11:35 AM

Default Re: ??? ssautochrome (jDMJeRk)

Awesome comments guys! I hate the automatic "SSAutoChrome blows big donkey *****" comments when people haven't used it themselves.

Like they said, some have worked for people and some/most haven't. If you brace the turbo correctly the manifold might work. We never get posts about people saying "Hey my turbo works perfect" because it's supposed to so i sassume some of the turbos work just fine. I have seen 2-3 threads on their turbos blowing seals very quickly. Like they said it's your call if you know what you are getting into.
Old 12-25-2004, 12:44 PM

Default Re: ??? ssautochrome (adseguy)

After rewelding and rewelding and rewelding again on a friends car, it's not worth the headaches. You can pick up a good manifold for around 300 bucks on here that isn't going to crack, why waste your time with ssautochrome.
Old 12-25-2004, 01:49 PM

Bought a manifold from ssautochrome, very dissappointed. Most of the welds has coldlaps, very shitty tig job. I have to reweld the manifold. You basicly pay for what you get.
Old 12-25-2004, 02:40 PM

Default Re: (dj_spoolin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dj_spoolin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> You basicly pay for what you get.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you get what u pay for?
Old 12-25-2004, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its funny at the same time too, because on the cover of a tuner mag a few months a go there was a gold EG hatch with b20vtec, and an ss autochrome kit making 500hp@ the wheels,

i think some of the probs with the ss auto manifold, is the amount of timing people pull from the motor when tuning causing the combustion to occur later and more towards and sometimes in the xhaust manifold, this usually leads to short manifold life and breakage, something that usually doesnt happen with cast iron, hence why alot of people get away with shitty tunes on cast iron log manifolds.

i would like to say it has to do with a lot of the tuning done on it as well.

and the last part of the problem is what does the rest of the broken manifold guys's exhaust look like, is it hung properly and supported well?? probably not, the downpipes from what i have seen have beenn welded or bolted to the exhaust with bo flex, and is poorly supported causing alot of the stress to be place on the manifold, combined with the forementioned problem and a heavy T70 turbo......................something has to give.
Old 12-25-2004, 04:41 PM

i have used that SSautochrome manifold and it does in fact suck big donkey *****, so **** them

don't use those pieces of ****
Old 12-25-2004, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dont go with them. it is true you do get what you pay for. next thing you know your mani. cracks and that shitty no name wastegate spkies 5 psi on you. "you get what you pay for" it's so true. just do it right the first time and your headache free.
Old 12-25-2004, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dont get me wrong thet are probably fine if you run like 5-6 psi and you dont get on your car.
Old 12-25-2004, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (h22boy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by h22boy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dont get me wrong thet are probably fine if you run like 5-6 psi and you dont get on your car. </TD></TR></TABLE>

No, they are not fine. The turbo's are worse than the manifolds. The manifolds WILL crack if you dont brace the TURBO to teh BLOCK. Why anyone would want to buy a "prefabbed" kit that required so much extra work to make it function properly is beyond me. Also why would you want to risk putting something on your car that has such a TERRIBLE reputation.
Old 12-25-2004, 08:04 PM

Default Re: (LSturboEH2)

Ha Ha I think I had enough alcohol for the holidays . Thanks for correcting me, You get for what you pay for
Old 12-25-2004, 08:29 PM

Default Re: (Mag00n)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mag00n &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No, they are not fine. The turbo's are worse than the manifolds. The manifolds WILL crack if you dont brace the TURBO to teh BLOCK. Why anyone would want to buy a "prefabbed" kit that required so much extra work to make it function properly is beyond me. Also why would you want to risk putting something on your car that has such a TERRIBLE reputation. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Um, the reason why this $150 manifold needs to be braced is the same reason why a $1500 thin walled manifold needs to be braced. I understand the fact that they should sell braces with the manifold, or let it be known that this is a problem, but now its out in the open, thin walled manifolds need bracing. Spend the $15 on 1/8" mild steel and find a torch to use and bend some simple braces. Forever and ever a thin walled manifold will out perform a manifold made out of plumbing piping.

As soon as i can find a SSAC manifold for $50-75 I will prove simply cutting a 16 gauge SS304 4-1 collector, chopping off the hollow collector, and welding on the DIY 4-1 collector will kick the **** out of any of this plumbing piping crap.

Manifolds are okay as long as they support 30+lbs of dead weight, no one cares about how efficent the manifold works, just as long as i dont have to brace my god damn turbo!!!
Old 12-25-2004, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (loseneon)

My ssac manifold is fine (uber tuned and turbo braced to the block) however, the excuse for a downpipe i got sucks *** (2") it cracked after a month, and I"m currently fabing my own downpipe for it.
Old 12-26-2004, 06:28 AM

Default Re: (toolowsol)

Listen man.

1. 98.7% of the people on honda-tech that talk bad about them havent run the ss autochrome on thier car.
2. I run thier 35mm wastegates for 135 shipped and it works just as good as the tial.
3. Brace the Manifold.
4. IF SS AUTOCHROME IS SO F$%KING BAD, THEN WHY THE HELL IS THIER FEEDBACK RATING ON EBAY SO HIGH? I MEAN CMON ONE CRACKED MANIFOLD FOR EVERY 100 THEY SELL. THAT MEANS U GOT A 99% CHANCE IT WONT CRACK ON YOU.
Old 12-26-2004, 06:33 AM

Default Re: (1zexxedcivic)

i agree with you somewhat, but ur feedback comment is incorrect, their manifold would work for say 2 weeks, then it cracks, but that person already left a good feedback, nobody really waits until they have put the product throught the test before they leave feedback, most wait until they recieved it then base feedback off that.

as for the manifold i still go to my first post, some work, some dont, as also stated before in most cases u get what u pay for.
Old 12-26-2004, 06:40 AM

Default Re: ??? ssautochrome (b18tegg)

junk