Notices

Sputtering/bogging, misfiring - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2003, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sputtering/bogging, misfiring - HELP!

The intercooler came in yesterday, I had not driven the car for a week or so. Between that time i had installed the B&M adjustable fuel pressure regulator and MSD Ignition 6btm. Put the intercooler in, drove it around.. it was fine on the way home. But later that night, when I had been driving it a while, it started sputtering and slowing down and acted like it wasnt getting gas. When I put the foot on the accelerator, the car started shaking and it wouldnt accelerate. Earlier today though, this happened, and i turned off the car and started it back up and it was just fine, made full boost. Anyways, last night the CEL light was blinking. I've been told this means there is misfire. Earlier today it threw 45, which is the map sensor. Reset the ECU and that was gone. As I was going up a hill last night, it started sputtering, and i had to downshift into 1st and it wouldnt go anywhere, it stalled. It started hard and barely idled but I got it up the hill. Today it did it again, and it was throwing codes 71 72 73 which is misfiring on cyl 1 2 and 3. Cyl 4 is running perfect. Cyl 1 is running lean. We checked the wiring under the cap and it was fine. Took the MSD ignition off and it kept doing it. Brand new NGK spark plugs (2stages colder) and MSD plug wires. We did a compression test, all cylinders were fine. It ******* sounds like an 8cyl its misfiring so much. Didnt mess with the timing at all, and the fuel pressure regulator is set to normal. No leaks or anything.

I also installed a walbro 255lph high pressure fuel pump but this seems to be working fine.

A friend said that he had a similar problem and replaced the plugs and wires, and that seemed to work for a day or so, but it turned out that his head gasket was blown. Our problems sound exactly the same, but his car was not turbo or anything.

When the car is started, it seems to run fine, but once it gets up to temperature and heated up a bit, it starts acting weird. Let me know if you have ANY idea how to fix this problem.

Oh, and everyone at Auto Innovation, all (even Richard, the most notable honda guru in town) looked at my car and didnt really have a clue. Eric had a few more ideas after we stopped working on it today, Richard thinks it might be the B&M adjustable fuel pressure regulator, because its not getting fuel and its the 2nd place to look after the fuel pump. Eric thought up some simple stuff we havent tried, like ground wire and distributor cap, maybe we put it on backwards.
Old 07-20-2003, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sputtering/bogging, misfiring - HELP! (Shocka1998LX)

bump
Old 07-20-2003, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sputtering/bogging, misfiring - HELP! (Shocka1998LX)

take the b&m fpr out.. see if that solves it.