Notices

Speed Sensor (code 17)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Sensor (code 17)

I am posting this for a friend, because she can not get rid of this code. She tried the teg forum but no help. Since I am always in here and you guys are pretty quick at figuring problems out I figured I would ask in here. Plus once we fix this and make sure everything is working correctly she is going to boost it.

I just put a obd1 jdm gsr motor in my 95 ls teg and i wired everything in correctly. It is throwing a cel 17.. it says speed sensor, but my speedo is working just fine.

I used the jdm gsr motor wth the jdm lsd tranny and the p72 that it came with. I wired in vtec sol, vtec oil pressure sens and knock sensor. I did not touch anything with the VSS.

When she drives the car and goes about a mile it then throws the VSS CEL.
Could there be something else causing this CEL to be going on? Like another sensor or ground not wired in correctly?

TIA
Old 03-30-2004, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Speed Sensor (underpressure02)

Thanks Chad!
I just want to add that i also tried replacing the sensor itself, and it's still throwing the cel.... i checked the wire connections going into the sensor, and i will soon be checking the ecu wiring. Does anyone know the pinout for the speedsensor wire? Thanks alot...
Old 03-30-2004, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok another update....Today we tryed a different cluster because the original cluster that was in the car was messed up...And still nothing. We think that it has something to do with the wiring tho. because her backlighting doesn't work either. So we are going to try more stuff next day it is warm out.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:43 PM

Default Re: Speed Sensor (00CIVICSITEIN)

When I had an electrical short, I kept getting the VSS code...so I would definately go over your wiring again.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Speed Sensor (Trac226)

was it something specfic that was shorting out? Just so I have a starting point? TIA
Old 03-31-2004, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think it might have something to do with a short in my taillights or plate light, because that fuse keeps blowing and when i replace it, the cel seems to have more of delay coming on. I drove 8 miles tonight directly after changing the fuse before it lit up compared to the mile it usually takes. The back lighting on the gauges still wont work though, and all the bulbs are good.. i even tried a new cluster but no go. Any thoughts?
Old 04-01-2004, 09:03 PM

Default Re: Speed Sensor (WreckedTeggie)

prolly won't help anything at all....but try taking the fuse totally out and see if that does anything. I blew that fuse which controlled my parking lights, blinkers, and brake lights, and gauge cluster backlighting. When i took the fuse out, all worked except my cluster backlighting. i'm still stumped myself, but i haven't cared much. just useless info i cared to share.

OR you just junk the car and buy a del sol.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:14 PM

aye i got the same ****. weird huh? i think its the vss cauz the car runs fine, but i get that light. im going to switch it out soon, just gotta find a new vss that fits my tranny. think it broke cauz of radiator fluid, we did a manifold swap.
Old 04-02-2004, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bluep3)

I have an extra sensor if u need it ... i tried putting in a new one already, but that didnt help.. ill try the fuse thing tonight, it may work bc sometimes my blinkers dont work and my backlighting doesnt work at all right now. Hmmm....

lol sol2nr .. i used to be obsessed with del sols... they are just so darn cute! butttt i like my teg... butt i miss my si more i think.. maybee ill change my mind when im boosted???
Old 04-02-2004, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (WreckedTeggie)

kate like I said before. I think you need to sit down and start going through some of the wiring on the car. There is prob one little wire some where shorting out and that is causing the problems. We have exhausted all the other ideas. It is prob something really dumb that is causing it to go on. I say first start with getting the dash lights working and trace some of those wires to see if something is causing a short. Then see if that fixes the tail light problem. Once you start fixing those problems this code may go away espically if it is being caused by a short that is also causing your dash lights not to work...
Old 04-02-2004, 04:19 PM

Default Re: (WreckedTeggie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WreckedTeggie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol sol2nr .. i used to be obsessed with del sols... they are just so darn cute! butttt i like my teg... butt i miss my si more i think.. maybee ill change my mind when im boosted???</TD></TR></TABLE>

i damn the person that calls my car cute! in stock form i think the del sol is a chicks car and wussy, but once built they're pretty damn sweet and perform very well.