Notices

Some general questions here, anyone welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some general questions here, anyone welcome!

Well, I picked up a 94 Civic EX recently. Up until now I had only really read a few things about the D series motors. I knew that they were good candidates for boost since they were relatively low compression and that they usually held up well to 7 or so pounds of boost as a daily driver. My car has the stock D16Z6, which from what I gather is a really well built motor. The only USDM D series motor making more power than it is the D16Y8, which I would gather could be because of the Y8's better intake design. Also, I remember reading that the EX trannies were the best ones you could get.

I've read about all the different swaps you could do, one of the most common being the LSVTEC setup. IIRC this is the B18B1 block with the B18C5 head. A lot of people liked to turbo this setup too, my understand because of the low compression with high flow head.

At this time I'm more interested in turboing the D16Z6 that I've got now rather than performing a swap. My understanding is that unless I went big with a swap (B18C5 or C1, or B16A) that I would be able to make more power with the turbo'd D16Z6. My goals are to have a daily driver car with some power, so I'd like to keep things reliable. That was also my reason for going with the Exedy Stage 1 organic clutch and Exedy lightweight flywheel. I wanted to keep the car daily driveable but still be able to run it hard occasionally.

What are your thoughts on turboing the D series or swapping? Are there any other options I could be looking at? Any other useful information that I should know?
Old 12-18-2008, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

IMO I would boost the Z6 if you want reliability, and good decent power. You could probably make around 200whp with a good tune on a set-up like that. An LS/VTEC swap will cost you a lot more. You would first have to find a good LS block and a C5 head or whatever as well as the rest of the parts needed to do that swap such as a trans, axles, etc. You already have a Z6 in place and if it's healthy why not. You could also use a good rod/piston combo and make around 250-300whp again with a good tune and the right parts.

It really comes down to how much you want to spend. You can make almost anything reliable with unlimited cash. Also note that there is modifications you will need to do to perform an LS/VTEC swap. Think about how an LS motor red lines at like 6800 or whatever an a C5 at 8500 or whatever. You can't just slap on a VTEC head and expect that LS to hold 8500-9000 RPM revs..So as stated before, it all comes down to the money you want to spend
Old 12-18-2008, 05:20 PM

id say a boosted single cam cause ive seen some single cams on here doin 12's and 11's. all u need is money a good build and a nice tune.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Like I said, I'm thinking of sticking with the boosted D16Z6.

The way I figure, if I were to do even just the B18B1 swap, I'd have at least 1500 dollars or so in it just to put the motor and trans in and have it run. I could almost get a turbo kit for that price which would put me decently faster than the B18B1, and I'd have a higher redline. If I went LS/VTEC I may be around the same power as a turbo D16Z6. I'd imagine I could put down 170 WHP very safely on 7 pounds of boost with the D16Z6. To me, it makes much more sense to turbo the D16Z6 than to perform a swap unless you scored a super good deal on the swap. I don't want to boost it until it's unreliable, I'd just like a little more scoot.

Nextly, I was thinking about the clutch I'm going to install. The kit is supposed to be good for 100 HP over the stock setup and has a 60% stronger clamping load than the stock setup. I'd imagine it could withstand a conservative turbo setup, especially if I'm not pushing more than 200 HP, which puts me 30ish HP under the limit still. Also, I'd imagine the lightweight flywheel would work well with a turbo setup since it would get into VTEC and boost easier.

Like I said, I'm just trying to get a general idea here long-term wise on how I'm going to build the car. Since I'm putting a new clutch in I figure I might as well start there and build it right from the get-go. For those of you using the Exedy Stage 1 clutch and Exedy lightweight flywheel, how far have you pushed it? Will they hold 200 HP?
Old 12-18-2008, 09:20 PM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

stg 1 clutch..i vote no
if your asking for opinions swap it and boost it. depends on your budget You seem to be stuck on 7psi for some reason. I will give you a few links to look at so you can see what options you have available. your limiting your self and have a few misconceptions

Engine swap info
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/engine-swap-info-faqs-how-ck-engine-lights-878010/

boosted gsr thread, stock and built
https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/post-your-turbo-gsr-hp-numbers-1501150/

boosted ls-t thread
https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/lst-ls-t-turbo-b18a-b18b-setups-1323059/

boosted d-series thread-i know there is an official boosted d-seris thread somewhere
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...series+boosted

those should steer you in a better direction
Old 12-18-2008, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Like I said, if i were to swap and boost I'd be spending a large chunk of money. For a LS/VTEC turbo setup I'm sure I'd be spending at least 3,000 dollars or more. I figure it would be more reliable and make more sense to just turbo the D16Z6 and make a decent amount of power while retaining reliability. The reason I say 7 PSI is because that would be a daily driver boost level and possibly turn it up from there on track use.

About the clutch - I figure a Stage 1 with a 60% higher clamp load should be able to handle at least 50 HP over stock. I read many places that it will hold 100 HP over stock without problems. I don't want to have to run a Stage 2 clutch in a daily driver car since it will make it a PITA to drive and that's not what I want.