Notices

is it anmore expensive to build a b17 than a b18 or b16?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is it anmore expensive to build a b17 than a b18 or b16?

just like it says i have found alot of b17's on a junkyard site and they are cheap

does it cost more to build them than any other b series motor
if it does at the pric i could get a b17 i could just boost it stock until it blew and buy another one for the price of buiding one
yeah that would be a hassle but im really fond of this motor and would like to build one but im not going to if its going to cost a fortune

also how do the heads compare to the other vtech heads flow wise? anyone know what the compression was on the b17's stock?
Old 11-26-2008, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nope just the same as any other b series, b17 are just a stroke b16...........
Old 11-26-2008, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by spoolin turbo s
just like it says i have found alot of b17's on a junkyard site and they are cheap

does it cost more to build them than any other b series motor
if it does at the pric i could get a b17 i could just boost it stock until it blew and buy another one for the price of buiding one
yeah that would be a hassle but im really fond of this motor and would like to build one but im not going to if its going to cost a fortune

also how do the heads compare to the other vtech heads flow wise? anyone know what the compression was on the b17's stock?
yup i remember when i first come on this site and said one of the dumbest comments of my life "B17's do not have that big of an aftermarket support." man was i stupid or what but now i can look back and laugh at myself for that one .

anyways its B-series so it will cost alot no matter what. the head is a regular B16 head, if you are unsure check the casting numbers on the exhaust side of the head.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well they can be had with a tranny for 6-800 dollars

what can you guys tell me about this tranny? this is my ideal motor boosted in a crx

i waould just be doing rods and pistons and maybe cams and running a gt28rs,gt2871r, or a t3t4 50 trim id just like to have about 300-350 and make this my daily driver

so what would the cheapest route on the pistons and rods? how much do itr or ctr cams usually run? what about gsr cams?

does this sound like a good idea?

i had a 99 si and i loved the b16 but would like to have a little bit mor umph down low and for the price i saw the b17's for and that was the motor i wanted anyway i was just hoping that because its kind of an odball and wasn't made very long that parts would be more expensive but since they aren't thats awesome

to rev to 9k rpms what would have to be done to the head? they rev to 8200 stock right?
sorry for all the questions but you guys are teaching me alot in this thread
Old 11-26-2008, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well the the head on the b17 is a reg b16 head get rid of the cams cause they suck .. look for jdm b16 or gsr or even ctr or itr. check www. inlinefour.com for the itr ctr cam .i got eagle rods from ebay. the b17 block uses a diffrent crank so the rods will be diffrent thats a b16 and the 94 and gsr. take you block to a good machine shop and balance the bottom crower and probe make rods for your motor any any b16ab or b18c1 or c5 will rev to 9 grand stock with no problems but if you planning to build the motor make sure u include valves spring and retainers. hers a few more company to help ya..www.goldeneagle.com www. exospeed.com crowercam
Old 11-26-2008, 12:48 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

I would just buy two swaps and boost that. You can drive on 300whp daily on stock motor as long as you don't rip on it all the time. One blows up put the other one in. Way cheaper then building the motor and you really don't need a built motor for your power goals. I don't know about reving a stock motor to 9 grand. First of all it will not make power up there unless you got some huge turbo, second of all it will go booom sooner or later.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by redflaredcrx90
the b17 block uses a diffrent crank so the rods will be diffrent thats a b16 and the 94 and gsr. crower and probe make rods for your motor

what does the rods are different thats a b16 and the 94 and gsr mean WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

where would the cheapest pistons and rods be and how much would be the safe to bore it out to without sleaving it?

if i just changed the cams and nothing else in the head would it SAFELY BE OK TO A 8500-8600 RPM REV LIMIT?

could you drive from netn/swva to evans on a base map safely with the smallest wastegate spring in the wastegate which im assuming is .1 or .2 bar which would be 1.5 or 3 lbs of boost
because there is no one around here i would trust to tune my lawnmower let alone a boosted aluminum motored car haha

also what is the SAFEST whp limit on stock sleaves im not asking th most made on stock sleaves or if x person made x power i would like to know the SAFEST WHP SOMEONE KNOWLEDGABLE ON HERE WOULD SAY WOULD BE ON THIS MOTOR? im thinking 400 or 450 would that be about right?
Old 11-26-2008, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

or where is a reputable tuner closer than evans from bristol tn/va i live 20 miles east of there im about 1.5 hrs from asheville
what recpmendations do you guys have for a good tuner in the general area i described and as everyone says its all about the tune so this is PROBABLY THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THIS WHOLE THREAD

again sorry for all the questions but you guys are teaching me alot in this thread and if i decide to go this route this is all information that anyone else that wants to do a b17 swap and build ................more people should look into doing b17's go to car-parts.com they have a bunch and they are CHEAP
Old 11-26-2008, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think you need to just keep reading and searching a little more theres a lot of things that you can easily find the answer to
Old 11-26-2008, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the main thing i need to know is the cheapest pistons and rods good for 400-450 if i ever want to push it and where to find itr ctr or gsr cams other than classifieds or is that pretty much it and if its ok to rev to 8500-8600 on stock valve train

i have a tuner in mind and can find one on the tuner directory

these other questions are the main ones i would like answered

i just thought of a turbo that performs almost identical to a t3t4 50 or 57 trim that can be had for between 100-200 dollars a holset hy 35 it comes with a pretty small housing but id try it out and if it didn't fall off there is some money saved
i would really like to have a gt28rs or gt2871r because they would be great for a wonderful powerband for a DD but they are so expensive
damn i forgot i have a brand new ITS t50 trim turbo but its.48 hotside i don't know how that would work but its a free turbo i totally forgot about

Last edited by spoolin turbo s; 11-26-2008 at 02:32 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 11-26-2008, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the main thing i need to know is the cheapest pistons and rods good for 400-450 if i ever want to push it and where to find itr ctr or gsr cams other than classifieds or is that pretty much it and if its ok to rev to 8500-8600 on stock valve train
supertech pistons are cheap and good so are wiseco's. eagle rods wont give you any trouble either so just use them and make sure to get 3/8th rod bolts.
if you want to buy cams BRAND NEW goto heeltoeautomotive marcus is the man. you keep reving until power stops, you wont making any more power after valve floating.

i just thought of a turbo that performs almost identical to a t3t4 50 or 57 trim that can be had for between 100-200 dollars a holset hy 35 it comes with a pretty small housing but id try it out and if it didn't fall off there is some money saved
honestly holset is the best way to go because upgrades for them are insane, you could probably by EVERY part for a holset an make a brand new one. the HX35 with a 12cm^2 turbine is the way to go for streets.

i would really like to have a gt28rs or gt2871r because they would be great for a wonderful powerband for a DD but they are so expensive
damn i forgot i have a brand new ITS t50 trim turbo but its.48 hotside i don't know how that would work but its a free turbo i totally forgot about
either save up and get what you want or use what you got. just go look for other turbine houses if that option is available to you.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Eagle doesn't make a B17 rod. I've seen them listed online at other stores, but it isn't in any official eagle catalogue.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tokesGTR
Eagle doesn't make a B17 rod. I've seen them listed online at other stores, but it isn't in any official eagle catalogue.

well if youve seen them listed at stores online do you know if they make them

what about scat anybody know if they make them
im looking for the cheapest ones i can find

is there anything i need to look for other than it saying for b17?

i was so surprised how much these motors can be had for and i'd rather have it than any other b series motor but thats just me its my favorite b series since its basicly a b16 with a little more torque
they are like 1/2 to 1/3 the price of a gsr or b16
k24 are pretty cheap too i didn't look at k20's i was scared too

if i was to use b16 rods and get some custom pistons made would that help the rod to stroke ratio? im thinking im either going to have to do that or get custom rods and either way it would probably be about the same price but if i did the first choice im thinking i would have a better rod to stroke ratio

whats the safest that you can bore a b17 out to on stock sleaves

Last edited by spoolin turbo s; 11-26-2008 at 05:15 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 11-26-2008, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony413
supertech pistons are cheap and good so are wiseco's. eagle rods wont give you any trouble either so just use them and make sure to get 3/8th rod bolts.
would i need b17 specific pistons? or how does that work crower is the only rods i've found

so im thinking they are not cheap so if they are high ill compare the price of eagle b16 rods and custom pistons to whatever pistons i would need with the b17 crower rods and what thatcombo would cost

but crower is the only place i've found that had b17 rods in there official line up
Old 11-26-2008, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the B17 rod length is 132mm
the B16 rod length is 134.36mm long

i would say use the B16 rods and get some custom pistons with a lower wrist pin position or get some arias pistons with a super low dish maybe -12cc or -13cc.

if anything see if you can maybe get an over square engine by using custom rods and pistons
Old 11-26-2008, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

$6-800 for a b-series with cable trans is a good deal. A decent B16 head (everything from the HG-up) can go for >$500, a good cable trans >$250, and then there's the block too. Its about the price of a decent B18B swap, so IMO its a good deal.

I'd say get the B17 now & boost with it. Don't get too power-hungry, just get used to power for now. Save some cash up, build a B18A/B block, and swap it in for LS/V.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I used to have a stock b17 in a gutted ef hatch that ran as good as 13.9@98mph. I beat on it everyday for about 4 years with no problems. As for pistons, all b-series interchange just got to check compression figures. B17 stock has something like 9;7;1 compression. lowest of any b vtec's. Problem is not many people make rods for them and the ones who do are like $200-$300 more than eagles. other than the rods it will cost the same as any other b-series. For that price I'd deff get one. 50 trim on a healthy motor is good for 300whp.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so if i get the rods made for the b17 i can use any bseries piston
is that what you guys are saying?
the reason i ask is srp makes pistons that are listed as for the b17
whats the cheapest pistons for a b series?
Old 11-27-2008, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

SRP's are pretty cheap, but are known to break (in a couple ways) much more often than others. Wiseco's are very common around here and are well-priced, as are CP's, which cost a little more. Wiseco's keep price down because they use the same pistons for all B's, but the CR is different & has to be calculated for each motor. Google a Honda CR calc, input the specs from Wiseco's/CP's websites, and there's your info.

Honestly, it will be the same amount of money to buy a B18 block & build it up, rather than building the B17 block. You'd still want an obd2 water & oil pump for either, rods will be cheaper, and B18A/B shortblocks are really cheap. This way if something crazy goes wrong at first, its just a stock block that's gone. You can also drive it while building the B18 block.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i may keep the b17 stock and buy a b18 to build then when its built i could take the head off the b17 and have a ls/vtec

would the b17 be alright with a good tune at 275-300whp from a holset or a .48 50 trim i already have that im not going to use on my vw

would that be a good plan?
Old 11-27-2008, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a better plan than building the b17?
Old 11-27-2008, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the b17 are just so cheap so i think it would be a good idea to start with that
Old 12-17-2008, 04:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Where's this Junkyard site located?

I may be interested in a cheap B17
Old 12-17-2008, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

go to car-part.com and fill out all the proper info its simple you'll see and there is a bunch of them all over the country..........that site is awesome for finding ANY used parts in the US.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't consider 12 of them a whole bunch. Not counting the broken ones, that's like 1 per 5 states.
And not worth it.

Quick Reply: is it anmore expensive to build a b17 than a b18 or b16?