Notices

SOHC, what's better for 7 to 10 psi?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOHC, what's better for 7 to 10 psi?

hey everyone i need help making a decision... I've been searching and can't make my mind up.... what would you do other than a b series swap? i have an 88 std, my plans were to mini me and turbo it until i built up a b18 for my hatch... then drop in the b18 with the turbo i had from the SOHC.

currently in the car is a d15b1 block,head and a L3 4 spd tranny. I got a z6 head for $50 and all i need to do is completely strip and clean it.

should I b1 block, 4 sped L3 trans and z6 head mini-me on boost?

or

should i z6 block, 4 speed L3 trans and z6 head on boost (y8 intake mani)?

The reason i brought the z6 block thoughts into my head is.... the junk/base yard i got the z6 head from for $50.... the guy is willing to sell me the z6 block for another $50. i dont mind getting new rings and rod/crank bearings (I've built a few blocks in my time).

so what would hold up to 7 to 10 psi? the d15b1 block or the z6 block?

I have no experience with boosting d15's.... i know on a stock z6 (block, head and trannie at 7psi) i will hit 185 to 190 WHP (I helped someone build that setup and it dyno'ed at 185 to 190 whp) and it'll hold up for a while.

is the d15b series weak?

I did search and got mixed opinions.......
Old 11-03-2005, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SOHC, what's better for 7 to 10 psi? (islandtechengineers)

Well I would say if your going to go with a mini then stay with 7psi and nothing over....But if you said that you dont have a problem with rebuilding the z6 block then why just through some pistons and rods in that a boost the crap out of it. Also what size turbo do you plan on going with. If you have the b18 already then just through that in the car and boost that. Okay if you dont have the b18 and would have to buy depending on how much you pay for it a would say...............it depends on your budget and what you want (hp). If you have a bigger budget then go with the b18 if you dont have that big of a budget then through some pistons and rods in the z6 block and boost it...Just my thoughts. Sorry for the ramble yo...

shawn
Old 11-03-2005, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want SOHC...go with Y8 block and Z6 head...this will put out lower compression. Use Y8 intake manifold.
You can also use the the HF or 96+CX manifold and port that out.
Use Y8 camshaft...very little difference, but I'm sure over 10psi everything counts.
7psi is safe for almost any setup as long as you know what you're doing.
Stock block Sohc will hold up to about 10psi safely.
It also depends wether it's 10psi on a 14b or 10psi on a 57trim.

-Lor
Old 11-04-2005, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

At the moment the d15b1 dpfi is in the car. The only thing i have is the z6 vtec head.

My plans were to mini me and turbo before xmas; then, but and build a b18 before april. I don't think it's gonna happen (the b18 before april). Simply i don't have that much cash to throw in at the moment.

I thought of going with something small like a T25 (on the d series), that way i'll boost at low rpms. My driving style, I don't like boosting around streets to street in between red lights. So I'm looking into something bigger... something that won't start spooling until 3500 + rpms... (i'm looking into a T3/T4 60 + trim...

I know i'll be wasting money on building the d series... then building the b series. So now i can't make my mind up on b or d.

Do you all think a SOHC d series will make over 400 whp (fully built, block and head)?

I want to build an engine that will last on over 15 to 20 psi for at least a year (granted im not boosting every moment).

soo... on an 88 std hatch.... if i drop in a z6 block and head.... will the 4 speed L3 trans be any good on a turbo?Or would you all suggest a 5 speed Si trans?

I know i'll have swap the hubs and grab axels to match the trans..

what flywheel/starter can i use? will i have to use a flywheel/starter/clutch that matches the trans (in other words could i use the z6 flywheel on an 88-91 si trans) ? If the 4speed L3 trannie will be decent, then i can use the flywheel, clutch, starte r that i already have (88-91)- on the z6 motor...