Notices

SOHC Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOHC Turbo

Looking to go turbo on my stock d16y8. Wondering what a safe amount of boost would be for daily driving and to keep the a/c as well LOL. Not really looking to change out TOO many internals so kinda looking for a bolt up and go kinda thing. Anybody have ideas for this ?
Old 12-09-2008, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zimzim
Looking to go turbo on my stock d16y8. Wondering what a safe amount of boost would be for daily driving and to keep the a/c as well LOL. Not really looking to change out TOO many internals so kinda looking for a bolt up and go kinda thing. Anybody have ideas for this ?

Are you serious? Have you bothered to even try searching once? "boost" is a measurement in PSI. PSI means nothing in terms of what an engine can handle. More appropriately I think you mean to ask how much HP would be safe to produce on stock internals. You should be good to about 210whp or so on stock internals. As far as a complete "kit", I don't think you can beat the Edelbrock kits, the Greddy kits would be my second choice.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:52 PM

ahh that is what i was looking for. i did search but kinda got confused with all the terms.so i know there is an obvious risk by adding turbo but is there any recommended parts i should switch out internally to avoid that risk.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by zimzim
ahh that is what i was looking for. i did search but kinda got confused with all the terms.so i know there is an obvious risk by adding turbo but is there any recommended parts i should switch out internally to avoid that risk.
Depends on what "risk" you are referring to. If you put one of the mentioned kits on and keep things at the level they were intended to be at, I don't see you inheriting much risk at all. If you want to run more boost, which you will, then I would reccomend at LEAST pistons and rods... at which point you might as well completely rebuild the bottom end (new bearings, maybe oil pump depending on the mileage on your engine, water pump, rings, hone, etc.). Just all depends on what you are looking for.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes searching is excellent for finding answers. I have a friend with a d16 making 225HP stock internals on 8psi with S300 ~ But dono what setup hes got. Car still runs strong!
Old 12-09-2008, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by butter99
Yes searching is excellent for finding answers. I have a friend with a d16 making 225HP stock internals on 8psi with S300 ~ But dono what setup hes got. Car still runs strong!

Tunning is a VERY important part that most people skip. The "kits" this guy is asking about both have thier own form of fuel management. I personally like the Edelbrock kits method better, but ideally I would toss them both out and run some form of management like eCtune, Crome, or Hondata.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:09 PM

i just built my stock d16y8, pieced my own kit together over time, im running a t3 t4 garret 50 trim. dsm 450cc injectors front mount hondata s300. and id ahve to put my numbers at around 200hp. and so faar so good, just be carful and do not cut any corners cause itll blow up!!
Old 12-11-2008, 08:33 PM

Drop by turbod16.com and all your answers are there. But search search search.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

D-series.org has tons of **** as well!

go-autoworks.com can accommodate all your turbo D needs!
Old 12-12-2008, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Hybrid96EK
PSI means nothing in terms of what an engine can handle.
so you would put a turbo on a stock engine and boost it to 25 psi without changing anything else? ... lol
Old 12-12-2008, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NewUnit16
so you would put a turbo on a stock engine and boost it to 25 psi without changing anything else? ... lol
If it was making less then say 220whp, sure, why not? Have you bothered to read at all about this subject or you just trying to be an internet know it all?
Old 12-12-2008, 06:40 PM

just seems that most auto makers wouldnt design their fuel map to accommodate over twice atmospheric pressure without leaning out and bending rods/melting pistons. i mean, i guess if you live in the sky, boosting 25psi on a stock engine wouldnt hurt. not to say that im any kind of expert on this subject.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just seems that most auto makers wouldnt design their fuel map to accommodate over twice atmospheric pressure without leaning out and bending rods/melting pistons. i mean, i guess if you live in the sky, boosting 25psi on a stock engine wouldnt hurt. not to say that im any kind of expert on this subject.
The pressure created by the turbo isn't the only thing that dictates peak cylinder pressure. It has a lot more to do with the amount of horsepower your engine is creating then the amount of boost your turbo is making. 200whp is 200whp... weather it takes you 10psi or 20psi, its still the same amount of stress on the internals.

I'm sorry I wasn't specific enough with my response.. Most people who put a turbo on thier car are smart enough to know the stock map sensor wont read past 11psi. If they aren't smart enough, hopefully they go to someone who is.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Hybrid96EK
The pressure created by the turbo isn't the only thing that dictates peak cylinder pressure. It has a lot more to do with the amount of horsepower your engine is creating then the amount of boost your turbo is making. 200whp is 200whp... weather it takes you 10psi or 20psi, its still the same amount of stress on the internals.

I'm sorry I wasn't specific enough with my response.. Most people who put a turbo on thier car are smart enough to know the stock map sensor wont read past 11psi. If they aren't smart enough, hopefully they go to someone who is.
this reminded me of a local craigslist post i seen. some guy was parting out his eclipse (or some other import) his post was something to the effect of "parting out XXX had a turbo at 25 psi, blew a hole in my crank case, turbo still works"

but still, if you add too much air in the cylinder, enough to make 200whp, and you dont have enough fuel, it will run super lean and cause a radical burn. which is what happened to mr. craigslist up there. it was kinda funny in a way.

of course, correct me if im wrong.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this reminded me of a local craigslist post i seen. some guy was parting out his eclipse (or some other import) his post was something to the effect of "parting out XXX had a turbo at 25 psi, blew a hole in my crank case, turbo still works"

but still, if you add too much air in the cylinder, enough to make 200whp, and you dont have enough fuel, it will run super lean and cause a radical burn. which is what happened to mr. craigslist up there. it was kinda funny in a way.

of course, correct me if im wrong.

Are you missing my whole point here? You keep going off on a tangent... next you will tell me if I put the turbo on my car without the oil supply line its going to sieze right?

Listen, I am sure most people know the support needed to run boost. THIS IS NOT MY POINT. My point is simply that psi is not what you should base your claims off of what the stock internals can handle. This is what the whole root of my comment spurs from. It has nothing to do with the whole "but you need this to run this, etc."... I am saying STOCK INTERNALS. No headwork, no pistons, no rods, no block gaurd, nothing. Do you understand the point now?
Old 12-13-2008, 04:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hell epic tuning made 400whp on there real time 4wd civic and it lasted 2years i believe untill it started knocking. they took it appart and all the rods were bent. it is all in the tune. if your tuner is the **** then your stock d16(with some arp head studs) should be good for mid 200's. If its going to be a DD i wouldnt go much past that.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't worry hybrid96ek. i know where you're coming from. people on the forums like to ask "how much psi can my motor take" questions a lot without having a WHP goal in mind.

to the OP. you can handle ~200-220whp safely. I did it on my ek and i had a y7! If you're worried about the engine failing on you, then get a great tune. A tune is a really important aspect that determines how long your engine will last.