Notices

So Its A B20 BoosteD

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So Its A B20 BoosteD

When i finally figured it out,i want to run my favourite setup,which is a B20 non vtec Turbo,but im stuck on a few things about the turbo set up. Should i buy a turbo kit of ebay and run a T3/T4 turbo or should i go to a shop and get them to do my Turbo setup. I thought that i would save money by doing my own turbo and getting someone to tune it for me would be cheaper than payin a shop to do my dirty work. Couple of things im stuck on are,with the B20 block being non vtec,would u block gaurd and sleeve it or just thick sleeves? Also should i put low compression pistons in the block or can the stock B20 pistons work as well,if so wat pistons would i replace from the stock B20.

If anyone has done this setup let me know to watch out for and what not to do. Lookin for some help on this one.
Thanks Evan
Old 03-14-2006, 04:37 PM

Default Re: So Its A B20 BoosteD (Scantron)

Can someone give me a little le-way on the B20 boost issue
Thanks Alot
Old 03-14-2006, 09:28 PM

yea bro i have a b20T. **** pulls HARD and thats with a T3 at only 6lbs untuned. my clutch is slipping because its stock and there is so much more god damn torque and power. its really worth it bro. you will have a blast. keep the power levels moderate tho if its not tuned. i got my kit off ebay too.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:42 PM

Default Re: (johnny_dc2)

My best advice would be do some more research. Once you have a better idea, then ask questions because it sounds like you are just learning about turbos. I would suggest putting together your own kit though, maybe you have a friend that can help? This way will be cheaper, you will learn a lot along the way, and it will be fun. I'm not even going to go into why I hate B20's, that topic has been beat to death (search for b20 sleeves).

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by johnny_dc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea bro i have a b20T. **** pulls HARD and thats with a T3 at only 6lbs untuned. my clutch is slipping because its stock and there is so much more god damn torque and power. its really worth it bro. you will have a blast. keep the power levels moderate tho if its not tuned. i got my kit off ebay too. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Why are you even posting? Your joking right? Your car does not pull hard untuned on 6psi with a T3 and slipping clutch. That's the most retarded statement I have ever heard and it's not going to help anybody.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:00 AM
i ♥ snails

The low compression of the b20b makes it a good candidate for the snail. Everyone will rant about the weak sleaves and such . Tuning will be critical. The size of the turbo should be kept small unless your planning on a motor buildup
Old 03-15-2006, 07:47 AM
Brrraaaap!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (quicksilver1689)

See my thread: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1556817 Leave the internals alone....
Old 03-15-2006, 07:57 AM

Default Re: (Blaze45)

if your going to use a b20 for turbo i would just sleeve it because i have seen more b20s crack stock sleeves then any other block out there
Old 03-15-2006, 05:28 PM

Default Re: (beerbongskickass)

yea it does pull hard, clutch slips up to around 4th/5th gear.. "why are you even posting"... who the expletive asked you anyway

nah i am not even gonna be an internet warrior like this guy... whatever homie
Old 03-15-2006, 05:40 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by johnny_dc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea it does pull hard, clutch slips up to around 4th/5th gear.. "why are you even posting"... who the expletive asked you anyway

nah i am not even gonna be an internet warrior like this guy... whatever homie </TD></TR></TABLE>

Just because you have a turbo B20 doesn't mean your an expert. Go do some research before you post because you don't know what your talking about. Your just giving people bad information.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:46 PM

Stock sleeves will be fine if you have an EXTREMELY competent tuner. (I'd recommend only a few on here-- Jeff Evans- PA, Blundar- Cinci OH, Mase (travels)- FL, Dave@WhipFactory- Chicago... sorry if I missed someone, these are just some of the names that I would trust tuning such a setup)
Old 03-15-2006, 05:48 PM

Default Re: (ccivic)

Ask all those tuners and I'll bet you 20 bucks they are all going to tell you the B20 sleeves are crap. There not like the other B-series sleeves.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:54 PM

B20 sleeves aren't the greatest-- but they're still a sleeve. They hold cylinder pressure. The trick is keeping the cylinder pressure and charge temps low enough to keep them intact.. this is where a badass tune/tuner comes into play.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:04 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ccivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">B20 sleeves aren't the greatest-- but they're still a sleeve. They hold cylinder pressure. The trick is keeping the cylinder pressure and charge temps low enough to keep them intact.. this is where a badass tune/tuner comes into play.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Read this thread... http://forums.evans-tuning.com...=1376

A few posts down your badass tuner Jeff Evans who is a firm believer in stock sleeves says "B20 are the exception to the rule. The sleeves crack very easily." So now what do you have to say? I can find more posts if you like or I can find the article by honda engineers talking about the shitty sleeve design.

EDIT: Found that other thread I was talking about with design info... http://dwolsten.tripod.com/articles/jan96a.html

I also found a really old HT thread, notice the post by uglyasscivic (courtney green), he has a 9 second civic and defintely has experiance with hondas... https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=304251

"There is a defect in alot of B20 blocks. I have a friend who works at a honda dealership and I have got two B20's from him and both sleeves were cracked in non-loading area's. He said they have thrown up to five B20's in the garbage from the same issues.
I think it is strange that they are cracking when the Crv's were all stock driven by ages older than 30.
The sleeve design is totally different then any other Honda block.
I wouldn't use a b20 unless it has some GE's"

I should just make my own page with all this info, so I don't have to type so much every time somebody comes along and says B20's are good lol...

Modified by beerbongskickass at 5:42 AM 3/16/2006
Old 03-17-2006, 06:35 AM

well i dont think anyone should listen to anything you have to say homie, you gotta single cam.

every single post i see from you is bashing b20's and how they suck. they probably sucked for you and your weak *** homeboys cuz you guys cant tune or are broke and cant afford decent parts. there are tons of peeps how have a boosted b20 and it works.. you cant deny that. now if every b20 that was boosted cracked a sleeve, then i would side with you.. just rememeber, you have NO EXPERIENCE with b20 or probably b series motors.. so you need to quit giving advice
Old 03-17-2006, 07:35 AM

don't want to get in the middle of a fight but we sleeve blocks here and we sleeve b20 blocks and i have seen some b20 blocks boosted on with up to 10 psi be fine but i have also seen b20 blocks crack with 6 psi and also with just a real high compression they are the worst block as far as stock sleeves go and if he is not going to sleeve it i would say at least put a block guard in and i wont say that's going to do much but if he is unlucky and his is one of the many that crack at least it wont blow out the sleeve were it cant be re sleeved just trying to help out
Old 03-17-2006, 08:27 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by johnny_dc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i dont think anyone should listen to anything you have to say homie, you gotta single cam.

every single post i see from you is bashing b20's and how they suck. they probably sucked for you and your weak *** homeboys cuz you guys cant tune or are broke and cant afford decent parts. there are tons of peeps how have a boosted b20 and it works.. you cant deny that. now if every b20 that was boosted cracked a sleeve, then i would side with you.. just rememeber, you have NO EXPERIENCE with b20 or probably b series motors.. so you need to quit giving advice</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good job on making yourself look like a fool. I figured you wouldn't believe me, that's why I posted those links from very well known people around the honda community. Did you even read the posts? I'm guessing no.

I do have a single cam, but that has nothing to do with anything. You don't have to own every single motor to know enough about it to give advice. I have more experiance/knowledge than you will ever have. Oh and my friends? One of my friends Jeff Frank (Abaz) has built every motor/turbo setup you can think of. Here is a small list of a few things he has done...

NA D16a6... https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1139478
Turbo Kia... https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1196071
Homemade ITB's... https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=749859
450+whp H22... https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=971311
Twin Turbo LS/Vtec... https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=829839
B20 Turbo... https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=537524

That doesn't count all the other crazy projects he has done. That was only one of my friends, should I post more? Search the forums for my friend Dave Lee (leed) and you will find he has a ton of tuning experiance with a lot of high horsepower hondas. I could go on...

With that said, yes I'm an *******, and I don't care, so **** off bitch...
Old 03-17-2006, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by johnny_dc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i dont think anyone should listen to anything you have to say homie, you gotta single cam. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Haha... this is the generic, "I can't think of anything else to try to flame you about so I'm going to pull something out of my ***" insult....

Who gives a **** if he has a single cam?

Guaranteed BBKA's single slammer would kick the **** out of Johnny_dc2s b20... hahaha, bet's anyone?
Old 03-17-2006, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EJ1 wilcox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 wilcox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Guaranteed BBKA's single slammer would kick the **** out of Johnny_dc2s b20... hahaha, bet's anyone?</TD></TR></TABLE>I've got money on BBKA because he is a helpful contributor to the F/I forum and I have learned alot from him
Old 03-17-2006, 01:25 PM

yea he got knowlege, i'll give him that. people just talk hella **** on here and i think he will agree. i need to quit getting a rise outta people on purpose tho... lol..

Old 03-17-2006, 02:14 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beerbongskickass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Read this thread... http://forums.evans-tuning.com...=1376

A few posts down your badass tuner Jeff Evans who is a firm believer in stock sleeves says "B20 are the exception to the rule. The sleeves crack very easily." So now what do you have to say? I can find more posts if you like or I can find the article by honda engineers talking about the shitty sleeve design.

EDIT: Found that other thread I was talking about with design info... http://dwolsten.tripod.com/articles/jan96a.html

I also found a really old HT thread, notice the post by uglyasscivic (courtney green), he has a 9 second civic and defintely has experiance with hondas... https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=304251

"There is a defect in alot of B20 blocks. I have a friend who works at a honda dealership and I have got two B20's from him and both sleeves were cracked in non-loading area's. He said they have thrown up to five B20's in the garbage from the same issues.
I think it is strange that they are cracking when the Crv's were all stock driven by ages older than 30.
The sleeve design is totally different then any other Honda block.
I wouldn't use a b20 unless it has some GE's"

I should just make my own page with all this info, so I don't have to type so much every time somebody comes along and says B20's are good lol...

Modified by beerbongskickass at 5:42 AM 3/16/2006</TD></TR></TABLE>
I'll agree that some B20 blocks do have defects-- but not all. Local tuner/shop owner has a B20/VTEC that is pushing ~350whp and pulling pretty damn strong. Tim @ BASZ here in Cinci.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:32 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ccivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I'll agree that some B20 blocks do have defects-- but not all. Local tuner/shop owner has a B20/VTEC that is pushing ~350whp and pulling pretty damn strong. Tim @ BASZ here in Cinci.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, they all have the same defect, the defect is the design of the shitty one piece sleeves. Just because some people haven't cracked sleeves and made good power doesn't mean they are good motors, it just means they tuned it perfectly and conservative and got lucky. Why are you even arguing? It's all pretty clear in those posts.