Notices

So confused - what bottom end bearings do I need for rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Destroying turbo ITR motors in Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So confused - what bottom end bearings do I need for rebuild?

I have a D16Y8 block that I want to rebuild. I am looking at running ACL standard bearings. The question is, what all bearings do I need? Main and rod bearings? What about "crank" bearings? Also, where is a good place to get a bottom end gasket kit, and what all do they consist of?

I know nothing, sorry in advance.

Old 03-18-2006, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: So confused - what bottom end bearings do I need for rebuild? (boostincoupe)

you need main bearings rod bearings and thrust washers.

the best place to get a bottom end gasket kit is from the dealer. you can go aftermarket but most of the time the OEM gaskets work best.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: So confused - what bottom end bearings do I need for rebuild? (boostincoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostincoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a D16Y8 block that I want to rebuild. I am looking at running ACL standard bearings. The question is, what all bearings do I need? Main and rod bearings? What about "crank" bearings? Also, where is a good place to get a bottom end gasket kit, and what all do they consist of?

I know nothing, sorry in advance.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

"crank" bearings ARE main bearings. just a different term.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Destroying turbo ITR motors in Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A.
Default Re: So confused - what bottom end bearings do I need for rebuild? (CoreyR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CoreyR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"crank" bearings ARE main bearings. just a different term.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sweet.

So main and rod bearings, and thrust washers? What should I expect to pay for a set of ACL's?

Also, are OEM Honda bearings ALWAYS a better choice than ACL's?

My buddy has a discount through his work at a Honda dealership. Can he just go to the parts dept. and ask for main & rod bearings, and thrust washers for a D16Y8? Or do they need more specific information?
Old 03-18-2006, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ACL bearings are fine. people use them in 6-700 HP hondas.

you can get a set of ACL's for like $99. PM earl he sells them i think for that price.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: So confused - what bottom end bearings do I need for rebuild? (CoreyR)

i like oem because you can buy individuals so you can match your colors correctly

hit me up if you need some help you know i just went through this
Old 03-18-2006, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guy, wassup??? Yeah I just built up the bottom en on my B16 and i was trying to get the Mains,Thrust and Rod Bearings directyl from Honda and they wouldnt sell me a sey because I didnt have my old ones anymore and they needed the color code on the side of the bearing... So I bought a complete set of ACL Standard Size Bearings and all the tolerances couldnt be more perfect...Good Luck
Old 03-18-2006, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: So confused - what bottom end bearings do I need for rebuild? (dornon13)

if you get a deal on honda parts buy honda parts.

if your using the stock rods then each rod has a number on them and the crank and block have numbers on them.

you have to look at all the numbers and letters to find the correct size(color) bearing.

i spent 430 on honda lower gasket set, timing belt, all rod/main/thrust bearings, hondabond, piston rings, intake mani gasket, and head gasket. that was full price and it think its money well spent. and it only takes 3 days to order them.

if i used the acl's some of my oil clearances would have been very close to the service limit, thats not cool.

Old 03-18-2006, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: So confused - what bottom end bearings do I need for rebuild? (y7turbo)

^ me too
Old 03-18-2006, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: So confused - what bottom end bearings do I need for rebuild? (y7turbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by y7turbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

if i used the acl's some of my oil clearances would have been very close to the service limit, thats not cool.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly. Thats why you dont always assume that ACLs are good for everyone. To build a proper engine, you need to measure and put the right ones in there for the best clearances.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: So confused - what bottom end bearings do I need for rebuild? (exospeedAMcrx)

Right on. The P72 ACL race bearings I have in std size, are a bit too tight so I had to use OEM Honda Pink, Red, and Yellow bearings to hit the .0018" to .0019" clearance I wanted.

The ACL Race bearings were clearancing at .0013" to .0014" (probably what a GRN and/or BRN bearing would be).
Old 03-18-2006, 02:32 PM

Default Re: So confused - what bottom end bearings do I need for rebuild? (IN VTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kdawgy2k1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey guy, wassup??? Yeah I just built up the bottom en on my B16 and i was trying to get the Mains,Thrust and Rod Bearings directyl from Honda and they wouldnt sell me a sey because I didnt have my old ones anymore and they needed the color code on the side of the bearing... </TD></TR></TABLE>

You are a head tech at a shop and you don't know how to pull bearing codes for a honda block .

Use HONDA bearings, they are the best. ACL's are ok but they only come in three sizes. Honda bearings all differ by .001 and there are at least five sizes. I wouldn't compromise my build with bearings that aren't the right size. The ACL bearings will work in some cars but you need to pull the bearing codes and check to see that you have bearings you can interchange with ACL's. Proper lubrication and clearances are what make the difference between a fast engine and a time bomb.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: So confused - what bottom end bearings do I need for rebuild? (MotorMouth)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MotorMouth &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Proper lubrication and clearances are what make the difference between a fast engine and a time bomb.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly. the right oil type and clearancing matters.