Notices

skunk2 ultra VS Edelbrock Performer X

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default skunk2 ultra VS Edelbrock Performer X

I have been doing a lot of research this past month and I was set on going with an Edelbrock Performer X intake manifold. But with the newly Released skunk2 ultra street manifold I am between the two. I realize its very new and i haven't found any comparisons bewteen the two. but any opinions would be great. I am using a OMNI 68MM Throttle body. I am very interested in my mid range power which is why i was set on the performer X, it is a street car and not really even considering Victor x. The fact that skunk 2 has velocity stacks really makes me want to go skunk 2 but maybe its to big of a manifold for my power goal

Ultra series seems to out perform the skunk2 pro series on a similar build to mine:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...X510D1xC-Mnruw

My setup:

Vehicle: 98 civic HX
B18c5 With Wiseco 10:1 Pistons
Eagle Rods, ARP rod Bolts, ARP Head Studs, Apocolypse racing oil pump
Running a B16 Head with Supertech Valve springs w/ crower retainers CTR Cams
Will be boosted within a few months either GT28RS or GT35R
My goal is ~ 400 HP

thanks in advance
Old 12-15-2013, 02:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: skunk2 ultra VS Edelbrock Performer X

400hp you want to look at the skunk Pro series it the Ultra street, the Bigger Ultra Race manifold and Victor-X more suited for 550+

https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/edelbrock-victor-x-versus-skunk2-pro-series-intake-manifold-dyno-test-2137420/
Old 12-15-2013, 02:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

for that hp goal stick with the performer x save a few dollar, unless your picky on how your want your tonque curve, not really any other reason the performer x will get the job done. if it was me i get the victor x because I'm just not a fan of long runner and it will also get the job done and plenty more room to grow for later hp crave.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Your just going to get a lot of opinions here on this subject. The ultra street, ultra race, victrox x, performer X will all get the job done. Hell a blox will save you a ton of money and get the job done, Just choose whichever one you like the most. The ultra race 3.5L is working VERY well on my setup but im pushing close to 800
Old 12-15-2013, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll be fine with the performerx or skunk2 pro. They cost less and you'll have a wider powerband with the CTR cams or the skunk2 stage 1's.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by frost_white_ej1
for that hp goal stick with the performer x save a few dollar, unless your picky on how your want your tonque curve, not really any other reason the performer x will get the job done. if it was me i get the victor x because I'm just not a fan of long runner and it will also get the job done and plenty more room to grow for later hp crave.
from what i have read i wont see power gains until after 7k i origianally wanted a victor x. but my motor only revs to 8k really
Old 12-16-2013, 08:24 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by camdizawg
from what i have read i wont see power gains until after 7k i origianally wanted a victor x. but my motor only revs to 8k really
All the more reason to stay down to the Performer X and Skunk2 Pro manifolds. you're reading your information incorrectly, as the powerband is for the lower rpm band. The Victor X is for powerbands of 7K-10K and higher for drag racing only, not for the "street".

there's a basic chart of it online with a good google search. Yes, its a SKunk2 chart, but you get the idea. Stick with Pro series or Performer X and keep it simple.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
All the more reason to stay down to the Performer X and Skunk2 Pro manifolds. you're reading your information incorrectly, as the powerband is for the lower rpm band. The Victor X is for powerbands of 7K-10K and higher for drag racing only, not for the "street".

there's a basic chart of it online with a good google search. Yes, its a SKunk2 chart, but you get the idea. Stick with Pro series or Performer X and keep it simple.
ok thanks alot I was looking for a direct response like this. Although evans tunning recommends either skunk2 pro or victor x for 400 hp,(not quite sure what u meant by "you're reading your information incorrectly, as the powerband is for the lower rpm band" ) and i was talking about the victor x not making power until 7k which doesn't sound usable on the street. so ill take your advice! any reason not to save some $$ and go with blox? since there pretty close to the skunk2 pro?
Old 12-16-2013, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by camdizawg
ok thanks alot I was looking for a direct response like this. Although evans tunning recommends either skunk2 pro or victor x for 400 hp,(not quite sure what u meant by "you're reading your information incorrectly, as the powerband is for the lower rpm band" ) and i was talking about the victor x not making power until 7k which doesn't sound usable on the street. so ill take your advice! any reason not to save some $$ and go with blox? since there pretty close to the skunk2 pro?
That's up to you on the Blox. I never liked their products and it wasn't necessarily because of copying Skunk2 (People have their own opinion about it). I like the Skunk2, so I'm sticking with it.

You're right, the VIctor X doesn't make really good use of itself until after 7K. The way you wrote your earlier statement it seemed as though you read as though power stops at 7k. Perhaps I was the one who read it wrong. .
Old 12-19-2013, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had victorX with full briancrower valvtrain on a b16 running a gt3076r, and it was a blaast ! did 400whp on dyno
Old 12-19-2013, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by turbodre
I had victorX with full briancrower valvtrain on a b16 running a gt3076r, and it was a blaast ! did 400whp on dyno
Power isn't the issue. its how it was delivered.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Power isn't the issue. its how it was delivered.
I think theres a popular misconception about intake manifolds that theres some magical difference between na and turbo ones. The only real difference that can be made is the plenum shape to optimize the flow for positive pressure vs negative. With boosted applications the runners get unequal flow due to most plenum designs we have. Thats one issue that you have to live with that na engines dont deal with too much.

Actually id like to make a dual chamber intake plenum like ive seen on some race cars. It helps even out the flow to each runner under boost.

Anyways, always pick your intake manifold based off your cam choice and power band goals. Bigger isnt always better.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

has anyone compared the skunk2 pro vs the ultra street manifold? I would think the ultra street would do well for the price.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by seelback
has anyone compared the skunk2 pro vs the ultra street manifold? I would think the ultra street would do well for the price.
Skunk 2 has a video on youtube where they compare the two manifolds. It made gains across the whole power band, according to the charts it made peak torque later, but from the looks of it, it doesnt matter since it still made more across the whole chart, and pretty flat too. The pro chart showed power falling off around 8200 where the ultra street continued gaining. Biggest gains were 11hp and 14lb torque, or something like that.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

with this being said for the few extra bucks i would go with the ultra street
Old 12-20-2013, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by m4xwellmurd3r

Skunk 2 has a video on youtube where they compare the two manifolds. It made gains across the whole power band, according to the charts it made peak torque later, but from the looks of it, it doesnt matter since it still made more across the whole chart, and pretty flat too. The pro chart showed power falling off around 8200 where the ultra street continued gaining. Biggest gains were 11hp and 14lb torque, or something like that.
but you have to think is it worth the extra $70 just to make a little more hp and torque vs. the pro series where it will only take an extra psi or so just to get the same or more power! hp become a factor here for op goal of 400hp, as shodan has said even a crappy blox will make that power for a lesser price.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

$70 is like a carton of good cigarettes and some change. scrounge up the extra $70 by hmmmmmmmm not going to the club on a saturday nite.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:00 PM

$70 is like a carton of good cigarettes and some change. scrounge up the extra $70 by hmmmmmmmm not going to the club on a saturday nite.
Touche'.....
Old 12-20-2013, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by frost_white_ej1

but you have to think is it worth the extra $70 just to make a little more hp and torque vs. the pro series where it will only take an extra psi or so just to get the same or more power! hp become a factor here for op goal of 400hp, as shodan has said even a crappy blox will make that power for a lesser price.
Thats my thoughts exactly. Hell even a stock ls intake can make 400hp. I reallllly wanna try a hand at making a dual chambered manifold like you see on wrc cars. Its usually a flattened pill shaped plenum, with a cone on top, with a slit connecting the two. I cant remember what car I read about one on, but he went from a decent looking custom plenum to a custom dual chambered one. It only made 4 more peak hp, but something like 50hp at 4000 rpm, and same goes for the torque curve, way more power early on. It was on a turboed mr2, the only change was the intake
Old 12-20-2013, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Stupid phone double post

Last edited by m4xwellmurd3r; 12-20-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Touche'.....
no just stating what i've seen. you can always budget for something that's only $70 more, just cut back on a few things for a month to cover it. I've seen car junkys **** money away on a so called good weekend they cant remember and then complain they cant come up with the money to buy something from you(man can you hold it for me for another week). but i do also understand the minimal gains that will be associated with the op's power levels and your advice giving to the op for this reason.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've seen car junkys **** money away on a so called good weekend they cant remember and then complain they cant come up with the money to buy something from you(man can you hold it for me for another week).
So true.... At least until you break through the 25yr olds and find the true enthusiasts. 25 seems to be the age that you either punt the "Honda Life" or go deep.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have run both the Pro series and Ultra street back to back on my car only changing the manifold and there is def a gain up top. The Pro series had slightly better throttle response right from the get go and better performance before vtec (5900rpm) on my car. The Ultra outperforms the pro series throughout the top rpm range 6000-9500rpm on my motor. This is just butt dyno comparison but I can feel a difference. I had to add fuel from 6000-9500 on the Ultra to keep the afr's to 12.5-13 so I am sure it makes more power I just don't know how much.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RevRipe
I have run both the Pro series and Ultra street back to back on my car only changing the manifold and there is def a gain up top. The Pro series had slightly better throttle response right from the get go and better performance before vtec (5900rpm) on my car. The Ultra outperforms the pro series throughout the top rpm range 6000-9500rpm on my motor. This is just butt dyno comparison but I can feel a difference. I had to add fuel from 6000-9500 on the Ultra to keep the afr's to 12.5-13 so I am sure it makes more power I just don't know how much.
nice to hear some results that are back to back(even though its butt dyno). what is your setup, if you dont mind me asking?
Old 11-03-2018, 04:06 AM
Trial User

Skunk2 ultra street is a beast!!