Notices

Serious question for Safc "hack" users

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2002, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Serious question for Safc "hack" users

Ok, I am ready to install my turbo finally. I have all my charge piping, oil lines, everything is done. I am using a Safc with DSM injectors. Am I going to blow up my car at 9lbs running retarted timing? A friend of mine told me that my car will be changing the timing automaticaly and that my car WILL blow in a couple months. What should I do? Thicker Headgasket? or am I going to be Ok?? Thanks guys, I just put a new engine in and I don't want to pop it!
Old 09-25-2002, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Serious question for Safc "hack" users (legendboy)

first of all, what kind of motor?
Old 09-26-2002, 01:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd back timing off a couple degrees. I was running 9psi for a week or so and didn't blow my d16z6...I am not even using the afc, just a fuel trim circuit and stock timing. Right now I backed it off to 7psi and am running more rich than 12:1 (by estimation of a/f gauge and egt)
Old 09-26-2002, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Serious question for Safc "hack" users (ion_four)

oops, B18B w/ a T3 and a Deltagate. I have my DSM's installed and my Safc installed.
Old 09-26-2002, 06:36 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

junk the delta gate, to go against the timing problems with the afc hack, get a msd btm...
Old 09-26-2002, 08:43 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Serious question for Safc "hack" users (GraphiteAccord)

what is everyones prob with the delta gate?
i have one on a 10 sec buick, and one on my civic hatch. i swear by them. i dont get it. am i missing something?
Old 09-26-2002, 08:59 AM
New User

Your friend is an idiot.

The car does adjust timing, but it can't change the base timing. Anyone who says "your car WILL blow.." doesn't know what they are talking about.

Just stay in the safe A/F range and you will be OK. If you are really that scared that you will get a crappy tank of gas, get a MSD BTM and retard on the fly.

Randy
Old 09-26-2002, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Serious question for Safc "hack" users (boostedcivicsir)

Haha Deltagates are said to suck but I've seen them sold as a high performance upgrade for GNs / Cyclones/ etc. But why pay so much for one when for $5 more you can have a Tial which is p-e-r-f-e-c-t.
Old 09-26-2002, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Serious question for Safc "hack" users (RGAZ)

Your friend is an idiot.

The car does adjust timing, but it can't change the base timing. Anyone who says "your car WILL blow.." doesn't know what they are talking about.

Just stay in the safe A/F range and you will be OK. If you are really that scared that you will get a crappy tank of gas, get a MSD BTM and retard on the fly.

Randy
agree!! Ive been boosting 10-12psi with the afc hack for some time now...without problems and i love it.

liam
Old 09-26-2002, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Serious question for Safc "hack" users (liam821)

Thanks Liam821, But in one of your posts u mentioned that you are getting detonation at part throttle under boost. I am just so paranoied about blowing my newish engine now that I'm ready to put everthing together. Randy-Liam, what are u running for timing?
Old 09-26-2002, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks Liam821, But in one of your posts u mentioned that you are getting detonation at part throttle under boost. I am just so paranoied about blowing my newish engine now that I'm ready to put everthing together. Randy-Liam, what are u running for timing?
This is true...but i dont get it very much anymore...more tuning fixed that problem. I have my timing about 3 degrees retarded (just turned the dist a little with the help of a timing gun).

I only turn the boost down in the day...to around 8-10psi and get no detination what-so-ever. At night i can boost 12psi without detination. Sometimes in the day i can boost more..it just depends on the weather really...if its cool i can get away with it..but if its hot i cant.

When i was in texus..and had access to 93 octane..i kept the boost at 12psi all day no problems no detination. Hot or cold didnt matter that stuff is awesome.i wish i had 93 octane in san diego!!

Its pretty much i have to be the judge about the weather and air temp and set the boost accordinly...since we dont have the bling bling features like air temp ignition retard like on a DSM or the AEM EMS computer.

Also lowering compression helps ALOT. The z6 is perfect..i can boost high boost most of the time without detination..but on my y7 block with a z6 head i was getting much more detination..i hated that setup. If you want to use a y7/y8 block i recommend getting a thick headgasket with the afc hack...much safer. My friend boosts 10psi on a y8 with a greddy headgasket using the afc hack and works good.

liam

[Modified by liam821, 2:13 PM 9/26/2002]
Old 09-26-2002, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Liam: what about my stock ls engine? 9.6:1 c/r? is that low enough for me not to detonate? btw: do u know where I can pick up a used avc-d? $?
Old 09-26-2002, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Liam: what about my stock ls engine? 9.6:1 c/r? is that low enough for me not to detonate? btw: do u know where I can pick up a used avc-d? $?
9.6:1 compression is far from a stock ls.
The B20z and some JDM B20B's have 9.5:1.
You have 9.2:1

[Modified by Quick 200k Mile Motor, 10:19 PM 9/26/2002]
Old 09-26-2002, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Serious question for Safc "hack" users (Quick 200k Mile Motor)

you right! thats better than I thought!
Old 09-26-2002, 08:40 PM

If you want to use a y7/y8 block i recommend getting a thick headgasket with the afc hack...much safer. My friend boosts 10psi on a y8 with a greddy headgasket using the afc hack and works good.
What is the thickeness on the GReddy one? How much does it costs?
Old 09-27-2002, 02:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its 9.2:1...but you can boost alot on those blocks. I have a friend (more a friend of a friend) in texas that has a eg hatch with a ls/turbo setup. She (yep a she) was boosting 20psi on a stock block and ran a best of 11.8!!! She was boosting like 18psi on pump gas though. She has a hondata.

Its ALL about tuning.

liam
Old 09-27-2002, 02:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Serious question for Safc "hack" users (CzanSOHC)

What is the thickeness on the GReddy one? How much does it costs?
its 2mm, will lower the compression like .4 (i believe correct me if im wrong) and goes for about $200-$225.

liam
Old 09-27-2002, 02:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

okay, after reading this i am confused. what does that hack do with timing? allso can i run a J&S (retards under knock or under boost) with the hack? i dont think that there will be a problem. But with this talk about timing isues with the hack im just wondering. Can anyone clear this up? thanks

Rob
Old 09-27-2002, 02:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Serious question for Safc "hack" users (rjardy)

okay, after reading this i am confused. what does that hack do with timing? allso can i run a J&S (retards under knock or under boost) with the hack? i dont think that there will be a problem. But with this talk about timing isues with the hack im just wondering. Can anyone clear this up? thanks

Rob
thats the problem. There is NO timing control with the hack. You need like a msd btm or j&s or something if you wanna mod the timing in boost. Also you are using fuel maps which didnt have boost in mind...so they have agressive ignition timing. This is all good if we could drive around on race gas all the time...but thats going to get pricey.

Just start with low boost..and turn it up slowly. Listen for detination and just take your time.

ps. i dont run any ignition timing on my car..just stock 3 degrees retarded..and im a happy camper.

liam

Old 09-27-2002, 02:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so i will be cool if i run the j&s to retard the timing and then the hack to adjust fuel right? thats what im getting.
thanks liam!

Rob
Old 09-27-2002, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Serious question for Safc "hack" users (rjardy)

will a bottle of octane booster per tank of gas + 3 degrees retard help me out with this problem alot?