Notices

SC aftercooler theory

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC aftercooler theory

I'm not sure if aftercooler is the proper terminology, what I'm referring to is placing a water-air intercooler before the supercharger? Like say if you had a jackson racing SC. Do PPL run this setup? Or did I imagine it?

Well, I remembered this from computer-case-modding and watercooling theory from that hobby. With any fan, watercooling, etc. You can only reduce air-temperature to that of the ambient air, unless you have some sort of chiller.

For instance, if you have 80 degrees ambient temperature, and you have a fan blowing through a radiator, you will still never get below 80 degrees...

so an water-air or aftercooler, would be helpful for cooling the charge air, after it had been heated up from a turbo. But on a SC, there would only be the negligible effects of removing the heat the air picked up from the engine compartment.

Feel free to add anything.
-PHiZ
Old 12-15-2003, 06:14 PM

Default Re: SC aftercooler theory (PHiZ)

actually i think terminology gets confused.

i belive the word "Aftercooler" is properly said if it's after the FI (Turbo/ supercharger)

but i thiink intercooler also works because its inbetween the motor and the FI device,

I think something before the fi device would be a pre-cooler? haha.

Using a cooler before compressing the air would have negligable effects, since cooling pressurized air releases much more heat due to the heat introduced into the air, and the heat from the compression of the air..

Brad
Old 12-15-2003, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: SC aftercooler theory (lazerus)

it is more effective and eaiser to bring charged air temps ~250 degrees closer to ambient temps... than to bring ambient air temps... lower than ambient.

you need a cooler because the air is hot from being compressed... therefore you need to cool the air after it has been compressed
Old 12-15-2003, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SC aftercooler theory (PHiZ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PHiZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well, I remembered this from computer-case-modding and watercooling theory from that hobby. With any fan, watercooling, etc. You can only reduce air-temperature to that of the ambient air, unless you have some sort of chiller.

For instance, if you have 80 degrees ambient temperature, and you have a fan blowing through a radiator, you will still never get below 80 degrees...

-PHiZ</TD></TR></TABLE>

you are exactly right... if you are sucking in ambient air.. and cooling the ambient air before you compress it.. with a radiator that is also in the ambient air. then you are doing nothing, just sucking in ambient air. unless you have a chiller. and even a chiller "precooler" jobber isn't gonna do much if anything.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:24 AM

water dissipates heat better then air... the compressed air is going to be much hotter then outside air or engine bay air.

as to air to air or water to air..... how many air cooled motors are in cars nowadays?
Old 12-16-2003, 08:32 AM

Default Re: (joshwhe)

So, I can't say I've actually seen a water-air on a JRSC setup, maybe, I'm thinking of the vortech setups, where the cooling device is afte the compressor, but I was asking about setups where the IC is before the compressor.
-PHiZ
Old 12-16-2003, 08:53 AM

Default Re: (PHiZ)

There are water to air setups for the jrsc.. they modify the manifold so it goes from the super to the cooler to the intake manifold. Just like a turbo.

the term aftercooler is something vortech came up with to be different. They probably own it.
Old 12-16-2003, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

These two terms have been used interchangebly for so long that most anyone knows what they are referring to. Intercooling used to refer to cooling units that were placed between compressors in a staged compressor setup in order to reduce the heat of compression before the next stage further boosted the charge, be that on a car engine or a commercial power plant. The term aftercooler is actually more precise for our single stage compressors because we don't count the engine compressing the charge as a separate stage.
Old 12-16-2003, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (roadrunner)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by roadrunner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">These two terms have been used interchangebly for so long that most anyone knows what they are referring to. Intercooling used to refer to cooling units that were placed between compressors in a staged compressor setup in order to reduce the heat of compression before the next stage further boosted the charge, be that on a car engine or a commercial power plant. The term aftercooler is actually more precise for our single stage compressors because we don't count the engine compressing the charge as a separate stage.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Now that makes sense