Safe to run without o2 sensor, untuned?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safe to run without o2 sensor, untuned?

Heres my question. Ive almost got my installation completed. All I lack is both oils lines and my exhuast. Ive got a 2 1/4 dp ive fabbed up to use until i can get it to my local exhuast shop where they'll run it the rest of the way back. But I dont have a o2 sensor in my temporary downpipe. On top of that, im running a small .42 a/r with 750 injectors. I have a chipped p28 for 9psi and the 750s. But i need to exhuast made before i have it tuned. I'll have to drive the car untuned and without a o2 sensor for about 10 miles. Will my engine be ok? The shop said they can weld in the o2 sensor bung for me, then ive got to drive it 25~ miles to my tuner.

I really have no idea how the engine will react with instant boost running with a temp dp, no o2, and untuned, only a basemap.

Perhaps I can switch out the 9psi spring with the 5psi spring for safety? And throw in a bottle of oct. booster. But the ecu is chipped for 9psi i guess. Would the 5psi spring throw it off?
Old 07-30-2006, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Safe to run without o2 sensor, untuned? (Wickedsol94)

I would personaly just take the downpipe off and bring it to have a o2 bung put in. Otherwise if you do drive it do NOT go into boost. If you go into boost and it runs leans KABOOM the engine might go depending on how lean and long of a duration the engine was in boost. Escpecially if you do not have a built engine you have to be even more careful. Also do you mean a o2 sensor or a wideband? o2 sensors are useless, a wideband will do the job. Either way get that thing TUNED
Old 07-30-2006, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Safe to run without o2 sensor, untuned? (Wickedsol94)

i would rather pay the $40.00 or whatever and have a flatbed tow it for me. better safe than sorry.

Dave O-
Old 07-30-2006, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont think either of you read my post throughly. It is a temp downpipe. More than likely it will not be used. second, the engine will be on boost at 2k-3krpm. with a b16 tranny there is no way i can drive it 30mph and not be on boost. I did mean the o2 sensor in my factory header. It shouldnt run so lean that it blows up the moment i take it down the driveway. A chipped ecu and 93 oct pump + oct. booster should take care of it. as soon as the new exhaust system is made, it will drove straight back home and set up an appointment to be tuned.

Id rather not have it towed. To the exhaust shop, back home, to the tuner, ect. It wont be 40 bucks thats for sure.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:21 PM

Default Re: (Wickedsol94)

uh.... i have a JDM GSR motor with a B16 tranny and i'm not in boost at 2-3k rpms.

just learn how to drive right and you won't hit boost.

i can be at 5k and not in boost on the boost guage. just don't give it so much throttle. i drove a 30 minute drive to another city and never once got into boost.

also, yes, you can drive your car without the o2 sensor. a lot of people disable the o2 sensor anyway when making chips with crome, uber, etc...
Old 07-30-2006, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Wickedsol94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Wickedsol94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dont think either of you read my post throughly. It is a temp downpipe. More than likely it will not be used. second, the engine will be on boost at 2k-3krpm. with a b16 tranny there is no way i can drive it 30mph and not be on boost. I did mean the o2 sensor in my factory header. It shouldnt run so lean that it blows up the moment i take it down the driveway. A chipped ecu and 93 oct pump + oct. booster should take care of it. as soon as the new exhaust system is made, it will drove straight back home and set up an appointment to be tuned.

Id rather not have it towed. To the exhaust shop, back home, to the tuner, ect. It wont be 40 bucks thats for sure.</TD></TR></TABLE>

man, you need to learn how a turbo works... you can drive it ALL DAY in ANY gear and not boost it.... no matter what tranny you have...

I ran my car without an 02 sensor for months, and i even ran the turbo setup without one until i could get my 02 bung welded in for my wideband... i didnt even bother with a regular 02 sensor....

i ended up disabing the 02 in the end anyways

just dont boost it
Old 07-30-2006, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Topdawgg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Topdawgg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">man, you need to learn how a turbo works... you can drive it ALL DAY in ANY gear and not boost it.... no matter what tranny you have...

I ran my car without an 02 sensor for months, and i even ran the turbo setup without one until i could get my 02 bung welded in for my wideband... i didnt even bother with a regular 02 sensor....

i ended up disabing the 02 in the end anyways

just dont boost it</TD></TR></TABLE>

Some people jsut dont understand how turbo work lol, If there is no load you can be at 9k for all that matter and have 0 lbs of boost.

As for me i droved around with no 02 sensor, but im tuned
Old 07-30-2006, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i cant say i knew how everything worked when i first did my turbo setup, but its not hard to figure out...
Old 07-31-2006, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Topdawgg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Topdawgg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i cant say i knew how everything worked when i first did my turbo setup, but its not hard to figure out...</TD></TR></TABLE>

But I can say that with my small turbo my engine will have a lot more power down low than before. Im running a .48a/r on a t3 charger. Much more power down low than before and im just woundering if the motor will be ok driving part throttle untuned for a little while. I didnt mean i would be making 9psi driving it around town.

You guys could have just said, yes your a/f mixture will be ok just driving to the shops. thats all im worried about.

So should I even bother with the shop welding in a o2 sensor bung? Is there any benefit of tuning with or without one?
Old 07-31-2006, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there is no point to a narrowband OEM 02 sensor... just disable it with crome... the fuel maps depend on vacuum/boost and RPM... they dont look at a/f at all when you disable them
Old 07-31-2006, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks dude. Screw the 02 sensor then.

I always thought the 02 sensor had a big influence on your fuel maps. ;( learn something everyday.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it does, unless you disable the 02.. then it doesnt depend on it at all...

i thought the same way you did.. till i got crome and then a wideband..
Old 07-31-2006, 09:06 PM
i ♥ snails

the O2 helps out with ur fuel milegage.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (quicksilver1689)

no it doesnt, because if you have your car tuned well, depending on your vacuum, you will have awesome fuel milage... its all in the tuning