Notices

running just a little bit lean...is it okay???

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default running just a little bit lean...is it okay???

ok- my chip burner isnt cooperating, so im kinda stuck with the program i got in there now. i pulled my plugs and they are a little bit tan/white, but just on the tip. its not too too bad. also, i pulled like 10-15 or so percent fuel(close to 1 a/f ratio point) out of the vacuum portions of my maps. now i know thats pretty lean, but since its not in the boost section, its not that bad, is it? im not detonating or cutting out in boost at all. am i good to drive like this for another few hundred miles max until i get my burner working?

edit: d16z6/uberdata/dsm450's/6psi
Old 06-20-2004, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: running just a little bit lean...is it okay??? (blackeg)

Seen wiht a wide band AF gauge?
Old 06-20-2004, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: running just a little bit lean...is it okay??? (blackeg)

Lean is Mean! hahaha

Just make sure you don't lean out under load, see that you burn the right program so you don't blow anything up.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: running just a little bit lean...is it okay??? (B16A1-EF9)

you can't just look at the plugs anytime. You would need to shut the engine off immediatly after boosting and coast to the side of the road and check them then. letting it idle or run under the conditions you are NOT trying to check does not give you a very accurate picture.

i tune my uberdata/Z6 to be in mid 14s AFR out of boost at medium load and around 15-16 at very light load.

I think you should be asking how to make your burner work instead of 'what can i get away with'...
Old 06-20-2004, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: running just a little bit lean...is it okay??? (Bailhatch)

- i cant get my wideband in there because i only have 1 bung, and i cant get another chip to burn that lets me disable the stock narrowband so i dont get codes and ****.

-within the next day or 2 i will be calling the person i bought the burner from and doing some troubleshooting on the phone. i have numerous .bins for z6 turbos that have been proven to work for other people that i would use as my personal starting points. it just so happens that i made a chip just ******* around almost not expecting it to work and it did. looking at the plugs right after boosting is a good idea- ill give it a try at some point today or tomorrow.( i have another car and only drive my civic 2 or maybe 3 days a week max).
Old 06-20-2004, 11:25 AM

get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. that way if you think you are running lean, you can bump up your base fuel pressure a bit so "limping around" wont be so bad. better to be rich than lean, especially if you have no idea what its really doing.
Old 06-20-2004, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (91civicDXdude)

just unplug the O2 and put in the WB. you don't tune with it in closed loop anyway so I don't see why it would matter. I guess the CEL would be annoying but who cares. Fire that WB in and at least see what you are running. Don't use other peoples bins anyway. Your motor is not the same as theirs and if you have a WB it should be pretty simple to make a basemap following the instructions on the uberdata site and then make some adjustments.

An adjustable FPR is a waste if you have big injectors and Uberdata IMO.

what burner do you have?

Old 06-20-2004, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bailhatch)

i have an aem fpr, but it wont fit my current fuel rail.

if i have off tomorrow i will toss the wb in there, deal with the cel and get an idea. im gonna hopefully get my burner situation squared away within the next few days.

bailhatch- its a moates usb burner. i dont think the burner itself is busted, but its probably more of a software issue. i followed the instructions for install, but im definately not the most computer savvy person out there.
Old 06-20-2004, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol.. you can't just go off and use someone else's fuel maps and say they have been proven, yes it may have been proven on that car.. but not on yours.. always variables.. dyno time or WB is needed.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Blind Fashion)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blind Fashion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol.. you can't just go off and use someone else's fuel maps and say they have been proven, yes it may have been proven on that car.. but not on yours.. always variables.. dyno time or WB is needed.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok- i guess it came off wrong with my wording. i was going to use those as my starting points- to be tuned on the wideband i have in my garage right now.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blackeg)

as i said before, the basemap process from the uberdata site will get you safely where you want to start. I have used it on a few cars and they were in the low-mid 11s AFR to start which is safe but not so rich that you will ruin anything. start there, screw other peoples bins.

I don't use a moates burner, wish i could help there. I'm not very computer savvy but was able to figure out the burner i have with a little time and research. once that is squared away the fun starts!

It's really satisfying to tune your own car and feel the driviability and horsepower improve as you get it closer. In the meantime read, read, read about fuel and ignition tuning. good luk
Old 06-21-2004, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bailhatch)

bailhatch- thanks for the replies man. i just got in from a few runs with the wideband. under boost @wot im 11.5-11.3. im running rich at part throttle tho, but its not too bad, just enough to cause a real slight hesitation. the lean part that i was concerned about is like at idle and vacuum readings at low tps position, where im running high 14's to low 15's. from what i understand i should be low 14's to maybe as low as mid 13's.