Notices

in general , will a fouling 02 read lean under boost when its goin bad?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default in general , will a fouling 02 read lean under boost when its goin bad?

just wondering .. my 02 is only about 6" away from the turbo and i run open DP. past few days my AF gauge has been reading lean under boost at WOT. and i know the car is not running lean.. if anything its running rich, i didnt change anything about my tune or nothin.. plugs look fine. a lil rich but good still. i believe this happend to me b4 too but i just was wonderin if the 02 puts out a lean signal if its starting to foul. this 02 is only 3 weeks old but its so close to the hot turbo i think im killin it.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm interested to hear people's input on this too. I always thought that the sensor would just get laggy and innacurate as it got old and fouled, not that it would indicate leaner. ? You could be getting it too hot too, what do the instructions say as far as where to put it/how hot it can get?
Old 01-01-2008, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In general, narrow bands will get fouled and throw codes for running rich because they no longer see oxygen in the exhaust gases. Im running an AEM UEGO wideband that went straight lean when the sensor died though. I bought a new sensor and the gauge came right back to life. I was told that AEM did that on purpose to indicate to the driver that the sensor was bad, i dont know if thats true though. Im not entirely sure what the voltage range is on the UEGO setup and if it is or isnt inverted in some way. Just my experience.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:52 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (skipbarber)

for what it is worth, my uego locks at 14.6-7 when it is dead. even under boost. got a little scared at atco in 06 and read plugs after every run, was fine, (i also knew i was a little on the safe end and had room to play)
Old 01-01-2008, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boostedcivicsir)

correct, a UEGO sensor will display 14.7 when dead.... mine does untill warmup...

As far as the o2 going bad, it shows a richer value than it actually is; so you will get a rich code _sometimes_. Sometimes sensors still come up as in acceptable ranges but are faulty;
Old 01-01-2008, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JaredKaragen)

I just re-read it;

You need a closed DP setup for tuning; you will see an artifically lean reading if your running open DP; or if there is a small exhaust leak as well; keep this in mind.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, but he said it just started doing it..
Old 01-02-2008, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JaredKaragen)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JaredKaragen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just re-read it;

You need a closed DP setup for tuning; you will see an artifically lean reading if your running open DP; or if there is a small exhaust leak as well; keep this in mind.</TD></TR></TABLE>

where do you come up with this bullshit in all these threads you are posting in?
Old 01-02-2008, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mike93eh2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedcivicsir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">for what it is worth, my uego locks at 14.6-7 when it is dead. even under boost. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yup, they goto 14.6/14.7 when the UEGO sensors go out.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike93eh2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
where do you come up with this bullshit in all these threads you are posting in?</TD></TR></TABLE>

hes actually right, but in this case, if it was already working, then obviously something else is wrong.

in many cases, if your tuning open header or open down pipe, especially at idle/low throttle/load the o2 readings are off(lean) if the o2 isnt far enough away from the end of the pipe and needs to be farther up/away from the end.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (wHOAlly)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wHOAlly &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yup, they goto 14.6/14.7 when the UEGO sensors go out.

hes actually right, but in this case, if it was already working, then obviously something else is wrong.

in many cases, if your tuning open header or open down pipe, especially at idle/low throttle/load the o2 readings are off(lean) if the o2 isnt far enough away from the end of the pipe and needs to be farther up/away from the end.</TD></TR></TABLE>

no, he said you cant tune with a open downpipe.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:00 PM

Default Re: (mike93eh2)

i ordered a innovative wideband. comes tommorro. this should fix my problem.