Notices

ROD KNOCK??? HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ROD KNOCK??? HELP!!

i HAD a d15b7 turbo'd, then the turbo blew so i went all motor with a mini me swap.
finally got everything running right and for some reason my oil light would flicker at idle (always a few mins AFTER IT REACHED OPERATING TEMP) oil level was more than ok... all of a sudden the car is slow as **** and i hear hard clunking in the motor (sounds like its from cylinder 1).
I kept trying to think of what might have caused the bottom end to starve of oil pressure... it then clicks in my head that i kept the taped oil pan from the turbo setup... the hose coming off the pan i simply stuck a bolt in it and clamped it down... i wasnt leaking oil though.. or VERY little (about a drop per hour) but could the PRESSURE have gotten outta there even though oil wasnt??? and if this is my problem, will d16z6 rod bearings/rod ends fit on the d15b7's? cuz i got a setup of them laying around.. but i just gotta get my car back on the road cuz i start college this COMMING WEEK!!... HELP!

Old 08-25-2005, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

there is no oil pressuse in your pan. i would take the pan off and pull the rod caps see what the bearing look like
Old 08-25-2005, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vaporboy12)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vaporboy12 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there is no oil pressuse in your pan. i would take the pan off and pull the rod caps see what the bearing look like </TD></TR></TABLE>
yup.. thats definatly what it is....

OMFG dude, i wish i new this earlyer... my bearings look like a ****** RAINBOW!! and are smushed all kinds of which ways...(ill try to get pics soon)

the guy at the dealership was askin me what 'COLOR' rod bearing i wanted??? he said the colors stand for the thickness... ok so how do i tell what thickness i need?
a d15b7 bottom end... whats the thickness on the rod bearings?

by the way, the *** wipe just went ahead and order the 'most popular'... im not relyin on that ****, this is my race/commuter/gets my *** to college and work everyday car... so i gave him the number i found on the bearings 4d26a... he just stairs at me and says 'ok, if theres a number, ill order those ones for you... '

right... ******* couldnt walk behind the counter and check for me right there...

well since 2days is what it takes to arrive, and being its thurs means theyll be in after to BUSINESS days, meaning tues... ONE day before college starts.. lets hope there the right size...
Old 08-25-2005, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HatchEh2)

u ever through your oil pump was on the fritz when your light was blinking?

u cant just buy a new bearing and slap it in, u have to take the whole crank out and have it fixed up. cause chances are the crank is chewed all to ****.

2 choices:

1. i wouldnt fix it, just go get another crank at a scrapyard thats in decent shape. have it polished and install new bearing and oil pump.

2. also it might be cheaper just to rip the engine out and put a used one in. d15b7's are only like 100$ which is cheaper then all the crank work and ****.

imo i would swap engines.

p.s. u cant just order a bearing without reading the color code on the crank, all cranks require different bearings. sorry to burst your bubble but this isnt a quick fix.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (shortyz21)

believe me the crank is fine, i stoped as soon as i heard the knock.
i rotated it with all the rods off and checked all the journals with a penny, no copper rubbed off so there all nice and smooth. (says haynes manual) i have 2 other z6 bottom ends and a head but there all in pieces or very bad shape, one is being put together just in case i spin a bearing again and the other is being hot tanked, honed and decked. i just need to get from point A to point B on this bottom end for atleast a month.

so where do i look on the crank to know the 'color'?
Old 08-27-2005, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HatchEh2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HatchEh2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
so where do i look on the crank to know the 'color' of the bearings??</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-27-2005, 06:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ROD KNOCK??? HELP!! (HatchEh2)

you have to measure the mains and journals to figure out what bearings you need. get a service manual it'll tell you everything. uhm. i'd suggest you take the bottom end apart and check for scoring or scuffs on the journals. and check if your mains got damaged. get everything measured and remachined.....and the damage was being done before the knock.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ROD KNOCK??? HELP!! (mamaboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mamaboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you have to measure the mains and journals to figure out what bearings you need. get a service manual it'll tell you everything. uhm. i'd suggest you take the bottom end apart and check for scoring or scuffs on the journals. and check if your mains got damaged. get everything measured and remachined.....and the damage was being done before the knock.</TD></TR></TABLE>

^^
yeah man, rip the main off. ive never seen a crank survive that. even if u stop when u hear it, the damage is done.

this is a quick fix. replace the ******* MOTOR!