Notices

revving stock GSR flywheel to 9K?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 12:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default revving stock GSR flywheel to 9K?

do they shatter? myth? fact? lets hear it.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: revving stock GSR flywheel to 9K? (LSTEG96)

LOL
motors gonna blow before the flywheel breaks
Old 12-05-2005, 12:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: revving stock GSR flywheel to 9K? (Timmay)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Timmay &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">LOL
motors gonna blow before the flywheel breaks</TD></TR></TABLE>

not an issue. lets be sensible, 9k is nothing, and just to make u sleep really well tonight, its an LS

i was just wondering if the lightened flywheel/scatter shield business would need to apply here. id like to run a GSR flywheel on my turbo setup.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LSTEG96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not an issue. lets be sensible, 9k is nothing, and just to make u sleep really well tonight, its an LS

i was just wondering if the lightened flywheel/scatter shield business would need to apply here. id like to run a GSR flywheel on my turbo setup. </TD></TR></TABLE>

ive never seen a flywheel break in my life, and if it does break its not cause of the revs
and a gsr flywheels isnt any different than a LS or B16

why not get a act street lite? they are 12lbs and work great with boost
Old 12-05-2005, 12:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Timmay &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ive never seen a flywheel break in my life, and if it does break its not cause of the revs
and a gsr flywheels isnt any different than a LS or B16

why not get a act street lite? they are 12lbs and work great with boost</TD></TR></TABLE>

right right i know they wont be any different than any other stock honda... but i guess i was trying to compare it to an ACT or Fidanza or equal.

basically i want the rotating mass. traction is going to be a huge issue.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Timmay &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Ive never seen a flywheel break in my life, and if it does break its not cause of the revs
and a gsr flywheels isn't any different than a LS or B16

why not get a act street lite? they are 12lbs and work great with boost</TD></TR></TABLE>

flywheels do break ..come apart and hurt people...... The scatter shield rule is so the flywheel doesn't turn into a saw blades at 9k rpms cut past the case and kill someone.

On rear wheel drive cars its more of an issue since the transmission sits more under the driver. If it breaks it can go through the floor or sometime even firewall

aluminum flywheels are generally more dangerous....the act street light is chromoly the fidanza is aluminum.....honestly for a forced induction car I would stick with a stocker...

with a light weight fly wheel you will have to almost full throttle **** to keep the cars momentum at the track. it also makes it very hard to launch as it either bogs to shti or lights up the tires
Old 12-05-2005, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: revving stock GSR flywheel to 9K? (D@nnY)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D@nnY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

flywheels do break ..come apart and hurt people...... The scatter shield rule is so the flywheel doesn't turn into a saw blades at 9k rpms cut past the case and kill someone.

On rear wheel drive cars its more of an issue since the transmission sits more under the driver. If it breaks it can go through the floor or sometime even firewall

aluminum flywheels are generally more dangerous....the act street light is chromoly the fidanza is aluminum.....honestly for a forced induction car I would stick with a stocker...

with a light weight fly wheel you will have to almost full throttle **** to keep the cars momentum at the track. it also makes it very hard to launch as it either bogs to shti or lights up the tires</TD></TR></TABLE>

thank you! this is why i was going to stick with a stocker!

i was thinking..., with a light flywheel as traction goes away with power, it will FLY to redline, but with a heavier wheel it will take more power to get it up there... more energy into moving forward instead of spinning tires...
Old 12-05-2005, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D@nnY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

with a light weight fly wheel you will have to almost full throttle **** to keep the cars momentum at the track. it also makes it very hard to launch as it either bogs to shti or lights up the tires</TD></TR></TABLE>

i know they can break, but they dont very often
i had a act street lite on my sohc turbo setup about 300whp and i never had a problem keeping boost between shifts or launching problems.

anyway good luck with whatever you decide man. Many people do aftermarket with no problems at all
Old 12-05-2005, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Timmay &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">LOL
motors gonna blow before the flywheel breaks</TD></TR></TABLE>

not true...however most flywheels are sfi certifiied meaning they have to meet certain standards....you can also have a bolt come loose and cause trouble..

I owned the fidanza 7.5 lb and it was pretty crappy...the 12 lb act is better but id stick with the 14 lb itr or 18lb gsr... the other advantage to the flywheel is harmonics...the heavier flywheel will take up mor eof the vibrations helping out the oil pump and bearings
Old 12-05-2005, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

seen a act in a GSt ripp through the tranny and destroy the guys cFhood nasty ****...never seen it happen before and it happend in the first 60ft
Old 12-07-2005, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: revving stock GSR flywheel to 9K? (DBL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DBL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">seen a act in a GSt ripp through the tranny and destroy the guys cFhood nasty ****...never seen it happen before and it happend in the first 60ft</TD></TR></TABLE>

what about stockers??
Old 12-07-2005, 08:16 PM

i would go with a itr flywheel lightest flywheel in the bseries family 14lbs compare to other stock flywheels 18lbs
Old 12-07-2005, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: revving stock GSR flywheel to 9K? (Boostfed_Si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostfed_Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would go with a itr flywheel lightest flywheel in the bseries family 14lbs compare to other stock flywheels 18lbs</TD></TR></TABLE>

whats 4 lbs when u have boost?
Old 12-08-2005, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The only time i have seen a flywheel fail is when the bolts backed out of the crank.
If i can find the pics of the carnage( Friends old DSM) ill post them up.