Notices

REVIEWS FOR THE NEW DRAG TURBO KIT

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 02:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REVIEWS FOR THE NEW DRAG TURBO KIT

has anyone tried the new DRAG turbo kit? i dont know much about turbo and im

thinking about getting one. i heard that putting a turbo together is much cheaper

than buying a kit but since i dont know much about it.. i thought i just buy a kit..

unless someone can point me in the right direction.

as of now i have a stock GSR and am looking for more power.

if i buy this kit https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1780866&page=1

would i need anything else? direct bolt on and im done? please help
Old 07-19-2007, 03:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: REVIEWS FOR THE NEW DRAG TURBO KIT (dc2long)

You still need to spend more money when you buy this "kit" and upgrade it.

The only real difference is they're offering it with a much better wastegate and a 3" downpipe, compared to the old kit.

You still need to get bigger injectors +$300 and injector clips, I would definitely upgrade to the blox manifold +$260 and a walbro in tank pump +$90. So you're ditching a few of the components already. That comes to $3280.

I had a drag kit for my first go around at boost, and its great to learn on. You don't need to screw around too much to make it fit right.

You will save money by piecing together a kit, yes. You'll know more about your car after you've researched all the parts, and probably be happier in the long run.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: REVIEWS FOR THE NEW DRAG TURBO KIT (97CWITR)

im not sure what is so new about that kit, but for that much id rather have something else.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:29 AM
New User

Default Re: REVIEWS FOR THE NEW DRAG TURBO KIT (dturbocivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dturbocivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im not sure what is so new about that kit, but for that much id rather have something else. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I have to agree here. Plus it has a Master Power turbo, dunno about that one

For just a few hundred dollars more you can get a PeakBoost Kit or Full race Stage 1 kit or many many others available out there. I had a Drag3 kit on my car back in 2000 BUT since I have seen many many better turbo kits come out, InlinePro also would be a better choice. These are my opinions, either way good luck
Old 07-19-2007, 05:39 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: REVIEWS FOR THE NEW DRAG TURBO KIT (dturbocivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dturbocivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im not sure what is so new about that kit, but for that much id rather have something else. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i will agree with you on that dave,
the only thing that looks new is the master power turbo?
and the 3" dp? with the old #4 runner wastegate? that will probably creep.

these kits were cool 7 years ago as there were only 5 options, drag, revhard, greddy, fmax, or spend an *** load on expensive custom stuff.

now with the many manifold manufacturers, and intercooler options, and vertex to make your own plumbing, you can do better.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:50 AM

Default Re: REVIEWS FOR THE NEW DRAG TURBO KIT (boostedcivicsir)

agree with all above ^^^^^^

if you are gonna do a basic kit such as the Drag, dont, the kit really isnt any better. the stuff they needed to improve most didnt get changed. the manifold is crap. the turbo it comes with ???????

i went with a revhard for pricing and A/C compatibility and not having to go to a half sized radiator, which you have to do with some of the better kits. but i didnt want to go that route.

the revhard comes with a precision turbo, better manifold, bigger charge piping (mine was 2.5"... polished... and bead rolled and FIT good), also comes with a Tial wastegate. so IMO revhard is much better than Drag. but full race etc.. type kits are better than revhard
Old 07-19-2007, 05:50 AM

Default Re: REVIEWS FOR THE NEW DRAG TURBO KIT (agrn93ls)

long story short

SURVEY SAYS! buy something else lol.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:14 AM
Man U FTW

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by agrn93ls &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">long story short

SURVEY SAYS! buy something else lol.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree...for the price, you could build something a lot better....i dont understand why people still buy these setups. A PeakBoost kit is in the same price range...
Old 07-19-2007, 08:13 AM

Default Re: REVIEWS FOR THE NEW DRAG TURBO KIT (Schister66)

is peakboost the one where you have to go to a half size radiator? a/c compat?
Old 07-19-2007, 08:32 AM

My first turbo setup was a Gen. 3 Drag kit... exh mani is ****, and the combination of turbonetics WG and the mani had crazy boost creep even pushing my 8-9psi on my stock h22 engine. I've since upgraded, but if I had the choice again, I would buy a used kit and add better parts where need be, or better yet, piece together your own kit that you know will have better performance in parts that really need to work/make a difference.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:14 AM

Default Re: REVIEWS FOR THE NEW DRAG TURBO KIT (ciremulb5)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ciremulb5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My first turbo setup was a Gen. 3 Drag kit... exh mani is ****, and the combination of turbonetics WG and the mani had crazy boost creep even pushing my 8-9psi . </TD></TR></TABLE>

hear that way too much about drag and the new manifold looks same/similar
Old 07-19-2007, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Def some better options these days like Peakboost etc.Master Power turbos are good they are a big company that has been making OE turbos for 40 years
Old 07-19-2007, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: REVIEWS FOR THE NEW DRAG TURBO KIT (90dxhmt)

I pieced together a used Drag turbo kit. The kit ain't half as bad as most people say. This is my first turbo setup and it was a cheap/ easy way to turbo my integra. Keep in mind that it's probalby one of the most complete kits on the market to this day. It comes with a nice filter kit and dumptube unlike revhard. Basically, if your looking for an easy way to turbocharge your honda and aren't looking for crazy power, the drag kit will suit you fine
Old 07-19-2007, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: REVIEWS FOR THE NEW DRAG TURBO KIT (mustafa)

my gsr has about 120k and 210 compression all across. before i get a turbo kit im

going to do a tune up and change all my gaskets. after all that is done, im looking

to buy a kit and probably push around 6-8psi... dont want to get too crazy on it.

im just looking to get around 180-210whp. thats why i thought about getting this kit.. because it seems like a complete setup.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:46 PM
Mr. Badwrench

ok if you decide to go with the drag kit, please get some kind of management. the fmu will work, but there are better ways to do this.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: REVIEWS FOR THE NEW DRAG TURBO KIT (boostedcivicsir)

i currently have the drag 4 kit. the DP is only 2.5" not 3". it uses a master turbo which is a decent turbo but no warrenty. the manifold is a pain in the *** the get on tightly because the bolts are too close the the manifold. plus they sent me the wrong parts at the beginning so i had to wait 3 weeks to get the "correct" parts. i still had to modify all the piping to make it fit, and had to cut into my hood to make the wastegate clear. but once i got passed all that it was ok (sarcasm if noone can tell). if i were you i would get a kit else where
Old 07-19-2007, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: REVIEWS FOR THE NEW DRAG TURBO KIT (nonvteclude)

i thought about getting the greddy kit. that was actually my first choice, but it seems like the greddy kit is missing some parts.. like the intercooler? is that all its missing?
Old 07-19-2007, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: REVIEWS FOR THE NEW DRAG TURBO KIT (nonvteclude)

I heard the fittment on the drag kit is excellent possibly you got the wrong piping. also you have to consider there are so many variables in swapped b-series cars so I would expect the fittment not to be perfect in your application.

Manifold bolts are actually easy to get on with a 12 point box wrench. can't imagine trying to use anything else. The torque spec on those 8mm bolts are only 23 ft/lbs so I don't why you would want them tight.

to get reliable performance out of any kit out there, you have to buy some kind of engine management and tune. if you can't handle that, turbo isn't for you
Old 07-19-2007, 03:05 PM

oh god please dont take a step backwards to the greddy. dude if you need a kit along the lines of the greddy, drag, revhard, go revhard. compare the turbos and manifolds and I/C piping etc...

the revhard to me is a bad *** base kit. log manifolds are proven to make fairly big numbers. the turbo is a Precision which we all know the bandwagon/success of those. the piping is 2.5" and bead rolled. the only problem is the lack of piping for a intake filter and the down pipe. take your down pipe and have it made up and here is a pic of my intake i did on my GSR. i bought a K&N filter that i measured the area it would fit in then checked K&N's website and purchased the filter based on dimensions.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dc2long &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i thought about getting the greddy kit. that was actually my first choice, but it seems like the greddy kit is missing some parts.. like the intercooler? is that all its missing?</TD></TR></TABLE>

you have to buy the intercooler kit separately. you could possibly get away with using there piggy-back computer. so if tunning is out of the question, this is your best bet
Old 07-19-2007, 03:06 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mustafa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you have to buy the intercooler kit separately. you could possibly get away with using there piggy-back computer. so if tunning is out of the question, this is your best bet</TD></TR></TABLE>

i would tell you to stick your weener in a wood chipper before you do that.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by agrn93ls &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oh god please dont take a step backwards to the greddy. dude if you need a kit along the lines of the greddy, drag, revhard, go revhard. compare the turbos and manifolds and I/C piping etc...

the revhard to me is a bad *** base kit. log manifolds are proven to make fairly big numbers. the turbo is a Precision which we all know the bandwagon/success of those. the piping is 2.5" and bead rolled. the only problem is the lack of piping for a intake filter and the down pipe. take your down pipe and have it made up and here is a pic of my intake i did on my GSR. i bought a K&N filter that i measured the area it would fit in then checked K&N's website and purchased the filter based on dimensions.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

nice job with the intake. the piping does look real nice. do you have any more pics of your engine bay?
Old 07-20-2007, 05:43 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mustafa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

nice job with the intake. the piping does look real nice. do you have any more pics of your engine bay?</TD></TR></TABLE>

the piping looks a lot better clean. it looks like hell under the hood because of all the rain i havent been able to clean up but here another pic, dont flame the FMU its not long for this world.