Notices

reliable turboing!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 06:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reliable turboing!

Alright well ht, I've been reading this forum for a while and have learned a lot, I have a 95 hatch with a b18a and I've been looking into turboing it. I've been talking to one of my friends about turboing it, and both friends have told me that turboing a car is unreliable no matter what the tune because when a car is tuned in a certain temp, say 70 degrees, and its driven when its 60 degrees then things break and the turbo goes to ****. I'm wondering if there is a way to get a reliable turbod b18. As much info as possible would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks a lot, brandon.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:44 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: reliable turboing!

Those "friends". They do come around and hate on Honda turbo guys, don't they? Hehe.

Check the FAQs Sticky at the top to get you started on your "re-education". Don't just skim it, READ IT. you'll have a much better understanding before you ask your next question.

And for your "friends". Time to let them go in regards to a turbo honda, they'll be nothing but trouble for ya'.

GL
Old 04-24-2009, 07:31 AM

^^^ second what he just said.I'm getting so mad at this thread i just want to throw the keyboard at the computer. From the sound of it your friends dont seem like they know what their talking about. Look in my profile i believe his name is gringotegra. He's making around 360whp on a completely stock block and has been driving it around for the last 32k. Question do your friends even own a turbo charge car?
Old 04-24-2009, 07:50 AM

My friends have in the past, yeah. I'm not sure what makes them say that. Would one of you guys link me to where I could see the specifics on reliable turboing? I'm on my phone and surfing is a hassle hahaha. I won't have a pc till tuesday. But since what there saying is not true, I'm very interested in forced induction. Links would be very appreciated tho, and thanks a lot for the input.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:52 AM

The perfect link is that FAQs on the top of the FI forum page...
Old 04-24-2009, 07:57 AM

Yeah, but I don't see where in that I should click to read up on reliability.of a turbo. :/
Old 04-24-2009, 08:02 AM

let me ask you this what is your definition of reliable as far is force induction is concern?
Old 04-24-2009, 08:08 AM

I want my car to be able to go places without me worrying it'll break down. Like road trips out of state and such. Just have a good running car.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by nodnarb922
Yeah, but I don't see where in that I should click to read up on reliability.of a turbo. :/
Because its not a "silver bullet" answer. Reliable comes from 7 areas:

1. The quality of the materials of the turbo kit. This usually means a little bit more money, but not to where it needs break the bank. FAQs show a GENERAL list of parts, but Honda has MANY companies that support turbo KITS that can work for you.

2. The engine management of the turbo kit, and its Tuner..The engine management needs to be well-supported and trusted by your EXPERIENCED tuner (not just a "friend's, BOY"), so that the car will run smoothly.

3. The attention to detail in the assembly of the turbocharger kit onto the car, and ensuring that the rest of the car is in GOOD order before installation.

4. Keeping in mind that the stock engine has SAFE maximum range of 300-350whp. Anything more than that, is putting the engine at an increased risk of destruction.

5. K.I.S.S.- Keep it Simple Stupid - is the best philosophy to go by.

6. Check/replace clutch, injectors, fuel filter, ignition, timing belt, and other essentials beforehand. Baller parts like Fuel rails, FPRs, FMUs or even ball-bearing turbochargers are needed for your first time out.

7.UNDERSTANDING HOW TURBOCHARGING WORKS WITH HONDAS is key, hence my reference to the FAQs. Don't just skim for the answer. START READING.

"Reliability" is a state of mind thinking. Not just the addition of parts. To be "reliable" you must pay attention to detail, and if it means that a professional installs/tunes the car, all the better for you.

Last edited by TheShodan; 04-24-2009 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 04-24-2009, 09:30 AM

^^^ very well put. In my case I have a 343whp build on a stock bottom end i know it wont last more then a year from now thats why i have a build lined up. On that note though even with the build i dont expect it to last but a couple of years. **** breaks when you push these cars as hard as we do. When you build the motor the motor may be strong but then your going to see other weak points with in your car. Ex tranny.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Because its not a "silver bullet" answer. Reliable comes from 4 areas:

1. The quality of the materials of the turbo kit. This usually means a little bit more money, but not to where it needs break the bank. FAQs show a GENERAL list of parts, but Honda has MANY companies that support turbo KITS that can work for you.

2. The engine management of the turbo kit, and its Tuner..The engine management needs to be well-supported and trusted by your EXPERIENCED tuner (not just a "friend's, BOY"), so that the car will run smoothly.

3. The attention to detail in the assembly of the turbocharger kit onto the car, and ensuring that the rest of the car is in GOOD order before installation.

4. Keeping in mind that the stock engine has SAFE maximum range of 300-350whp. Anything more than that, is putting the engine at an increased risk of destruction.

5. K.I.S.S.- Keep it Simple Stupid - is the best philosophy to go by.

6. Check/replace clutch, injectors, fuel filter, ignition, timing belt, and other essentials beforehand. Baller parts like Fuel rails, FPRs, FMUs or even ball-bearing turbochargers are NOT needed for your first time out.

7.UNDERSTANDING HOW TURBOCHARGING WORKS WITH HONDAS is key, hence my reference to the FAQs. Don't just skim for the answer. START READING.

"Reliability" is a state of mind thinking. Not just the addition of parts. To be "reliable" you must pay attention to detail, and if it means that a professional installs/tunes the car, all the better for you.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:33 AM

In addition. The "reliability" of the turbo itself comes from the manufacturer (No-ebay) and YOUR attention to care by letting it appropriately cool down after long term use UNDER LOAD. Turbos can run for over 1 million miles from the factory, but that is because the turbo is not pushed beyond its limits. Do that, and you'll be fine.

/thread
Old 04-24-2009, 10:38 AM

Alright well I understand what everyones saying, so how much $$ am I looking at for a reliable tune?
Old 04-24-2009, 11:12 AM

This depends upon where you go, and the managment used. Since you're in Ohio, Pure-Tuning in Toledo is the best place to go. http://www.pure-tuning.com They use Hondata..

Pm's are the best method for further suggestions as all people have their favorite place