Notices

Newbie seeking help

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie seeking help

Hi guys I'm pretty new to the honda scene. I'm looking into doing a vtec twin turbo if possible id ideally like to achieve the 500bhp if that's possible can anyone point me in the right direction?
Like what I'd need for the build? And so on...

Any help would be great
Regards
Alex
Old 07-26-2014, 07:30 PM
im hench irl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Newbie seeking help

twin turbo would be cool and neat but since your a "newbie" im sure it would get kinda complicated.

single turbo would net you the 500bhp youre seeking, though.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:06 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

OP, you need to do two things. First off, read the FAQ sticky. Second off, look into twin turbo setups. Not Honda setups, just TT in general. You'll notice something that most TT setups have, that (most) Honda engines don't.

You also haven't even bothered telling us what motor you want this mysterious 500BHP out of. You have a lot of reading and learning to do. Start with the sticky threads, especially the FAQ sticky. Once you open it, you'll have more than a couple nights of solid reading to do from that one thread alone.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:11 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/%2A%2A%2Aforced-induction-forum-faq%2A%2A%2A-1024174/

Read it, learn it, love it.
don't do anything until you've read the FAQs a few times in its entirety.

it would help if we knew what chassis and motor...

for all we know you're trying to build a 500hp lawn mower...

and no, no one will even suggest a twin turbo setup. a properly sized single turbo always wins out on a twin setup. only reason to run twins is because a single turbo won't flow enough... which at 500hp is not an issue.

also since space is at a premium in your typical fwd Honda chassis you wouldn't really have the space to mount and plumb two turbos. unless they were two small turbos like Garrett t25s or a similar sized cartridge.

Read the FAQs then come back to reality and common sense
Old 07-28-2014, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry guys I should have explained my self I briefly explained what I am looking for in the introduce yourself thread it also shows the car I am looking at putting the engine in.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/introduce-yourself-162/newbie-looking-advice-3216781/
I was originally looking at using a b20 engine with a b18 vtec cylinder head stroking it to 2.2 and trying to go for a twin turbo set up but I was told that a b20 doesn't like the compression from the turbos.
I am currently looking at using a b18 engine opening the cylinder head up polishing and porting it. Getting the compression to suit the turbo. Camwise I was looking at skunk2 turbo cams but does that effect the vtec?
Injectors I was looking at updating them to Bosch ones I can remember which ones they are off the top of my head.
The crank I was just looking at lightening and balancing it. Conrods and pistons I was looking at getting H beam ones lighten and balance also, pistons I'm not too sure about.
Fuel pump cnt racing lph300 or the 250 version.
Cooling I was looking at a custom rad with twin fans to keep the cooling down. A custom inter cooler as well.
Turbo wise I was originally looking at two t2s for the twin turbo set up. But I'm now looking at a single t3 but I'm not too sure if it'll cope or go for a t3 hybrid, I'm not tii sure any advice?

Regards
Alex
Old 07-28-2014, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont think youll ever be able to make a 2.2 L b20...maybe im wrong and the knowledge about things has evolved some, but a decade ago, there werent too many people that thought about boring out b20's...they would get a b18a or b18b and punch it out to around 2.0 to almost 2.1...with the intentions of sleeving it after boring it out, or was it before? ive never done a sleeved block so im not completely certain of the order..

Originally Posted by wantboost
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1024174

for all we know you're trying to build a 500hp lawn mower...
that would be the sickest lawn mower evaRRRR!!

lol..
Old 07-28-2014, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Compound turbo setup run a jrsc as well and fab up cbr itbs and mate them inside the jrsc and use nitrous in each runner simple enough. On a serious note just use the search feature, google and youtube you should learn enough off all those to accomplish your goals.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:08 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

You still haven't looked at why people don't TT Hondas. It's foolish, it's pointless, and not only will you not have enough room under the hood to do it, but the amount of extra heat from two turbos will **** your motor right up the ***. It's just not feasible. Forget about it. Stick to one turbo, and properly size it for your motor and application. Done. If you aren't sure what "properly size" means, there are multiple threads in the FAQ sticky about picking the right size turbo. Check them out. If you absolutely want to have two turbos under your hood, run them sequentially, or run a turbo/supercharger combination.

TL;DR version: Everything that can be done to Hondas has been done. The reason there aren't many (if any) TT I4 Hondas out there is because it's pointless, and completely impractical.

As for cams and VTEC, ANY power adder will have an effect on your VTEC engagement point. Turbo, supercharger, spray, cams, they'll all change the ideal cross. Let your tuner find it - there is no "one size fits all" answer.

Injectors are easy. Find an injector size calculator online, punch in your numbers, keep your duty cycle at 80%, and get the next size up from there.

No need to fiddle with your crank. Assuming you buy quality parts, rods will come pre-balanced - don't fiddle with them. Same applies to pistons.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay I'll forget the twin turbo set up and go for a single turbo set up.
I know camwise I will be going for skunk2 pro series stage 1, mainly because they are easy to purchase from the uk so ideally be using skunk2 website. I have been reading the FAQs as I have been posting I haven't fully read all of them yet I think I'm half way through the first post but some of them are dead links.

Alex