rebuilding b16a2 for 400HP. (need some advice)

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rebuilding b16a2 for 400HP. (need some advice)

hello everybody

for those who know... before a couple of month i got a b16a2 from a junkyard. the engine came off a 94' civic VTI. and did about 60.000KM.

i'm currantly rebuilding it for 400+ hp and i need some opinions about the whole project.

ITS GONNA BE IN MY 97 EJ9 CIVIC (Replacing The D14A4)

you should know this: i cant sleeve the engine. i live in israel and no one here knows how to do this.

here are the things i allready go for the rebuild:
full oem gasket kit. LSDMOTORSPORTS
acl bearings. EARL
apc main and head studs.
waterpump, tensioner and T-belt.

i'm gonna use the stock head, i just gonna clean it and rerefit the valves and valve seals (in a shop), i checked the head surface with a stright edge and a feller gauge and it's in good condition so no milling is nessacary.

which pistons do you guys recommend me? (what cr? 9.1? 9.5?)
i guess im gonna use eagle rods.? right?

here is the rest of the setup i had in mind:
ramhorn manifold.
GT35R (on how much psi with that turbo i will reach 400?)
31x6x3 FMIC.
2.5 from turbo to IC
2.75 from IC to TB
ect...ect...
the engine management is gonna be UBERDATA. because i'm cheap

thanks for reading....and replying
Old 10-30-2005, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: rebuilding b16a2 for 400HP. (RACEPAK)

funk! if i were u i would ship that motor to cali and have a shop do as much work on it as they can before u put it in the cost of shipping all those parts will prolly add up what u can ship your motor for and u could get it sleeved as well.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im making 450hp right now in my integra.... What worked well for me was: Manley rods,Wiesco Pistons,All new acl bearings,ITR oil pump,AEBS main and head studs,Super Tech heat coated valves,JG head(valve springs,and retainers,)Port and polished,Full race exaust manifold,3inch down pipe,Greddy Type RS BOV(im using 2 of them),JG intake manifold.... The list goes on and on... You have to build whats right for you buget and will hold up the HP ypu want to achieve... Talk to a respected shop thats been around for a while.... The eagle rods you want are more for all motor,They are kinda cheap for a turbo set up and I wouldnt recomend them.... Like I said talk to a PROFESSIONAL shop.... HT members mihgt help some what but you want to trust a pro. not a bunch of guys telling you what They "think" you should buy... good luck on yor build...
Old 11-04-2005, 03:56 AM

Default Re: rebuilding b16a2 for 400HP. (boostnhoe)

ok, first of all the GT35R is too big for your power goals IMO. you want the smallest turbo that will hit the max power you want with maybe some headroom so you can turn up boost later maybe... but with the GT35R your looking at over 5k rpm before you hit full boost on stock displacement... I say look into a GT32 or 34
just pick one of the popular name forged pistons they're all good. I went with CP's Earl can sell you a set. for rods, eagle's are cheaper then others but I've seen so many people on HT use them and push 500+hp over and over again... I went with Crower but my next build I might try those out to save money.

thats really all you need for the motor, should be able to crank out 400whp and be fine with a good tune.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostnhoe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Like I said talk to a PROFESSIONAL shop.... HT members mihgt help some what but you want to trust a pro. not a bunch of guys telling you what They "think" you should buy... </TD></TR></TABLE>

dude there are so many guys on here that really know their **** you just have to know who's who... a little searching and you'll start to see a trend of names that seem to never let people down...

oh and think about your fuel system (you didn't mention anything about it) upgraded injectors, pump, etc... also you'll need a new clutch

I'd watch out for people that include things like "ITR oil pump" when listing things that helped them achieve 450whp
Old 11-04-2005, 08:44 AM

Default Re: rebuilding b16a2 for 400HP. (turbosi03)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostnhoe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The eagle rods you want are more for all motor,They are kinda cheap for a turbo set up and I wouldnt recomend them....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Errr, you suck dude. Heavy *** eagle rods are not for all motor applications. Nor are they 'cheap' rods. They work great, and your just another one of those: "HT members mihgt help some what but you want to trust a pro. not a bunch of guys telling you what They "think" you should buy." I don't know what makes you think your advice is better than others, but it doesn't matter.

To the poster, use a stock TB and a JG Edelbrock manifold, keep the head how it is, add pistons and rods to the block. (CP are great pistons, I personally use Endyn-but that doesn't mean anything; Eagle rods are perfect for your application.) Go spend some time and, rather than picking out a turbo, size one.

I have seen The Shodan suggest a variant of the 30r a number of times for 400whp. I suggest looking into his opinion, as experience &gt; charts.

You say lots of great things in your post, but ultimately you just need more experience with this stuff before you're ready. You have to read as much as possible otherwise in 1 year you'll be kicking yourself saying man i was ******* stupid back then, I wish I didn't jump into this bercause now that I've been forced to read up on it for 1 year I know a lot more.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok?? Just pick up any forged piston there all good?? what kind of advice is that?? As far as me using an ITR oil pump they are very reliable as long as the bottom end is balanced and your using a balanced crank pulley,the only time they will break is if your bottom end is not balanced,do your home work buddy....
Old 11-04-2005, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rebuilding b16a2 for 400HP. (Si Shane)

This guy is telling you to use a stock TB?? Like i said trust a guy that's built a few turbo motors and know what works and what doesnt,Like JG engine dynamics or JOTECH.... I'm not saying everyone on HT is dumb or anything but would you trust a guy you've never seen or heard anything about to help you built an expensive race motor?? I think not... In that case you might as well send your money to informercials on TV that can make you a millionare, you can trust them to right , Do your research talk to a well known engine builder
Old 11-04-2005, 11:28 AM

Default Re: rebuilding b16a2 for 400HP. (boostnhoe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostnhoe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok?? Just pick up any forged piston there all good?? what kind of advice is that?? As far as me using an ITR oil pump they are very reliable as long as the bottom end is balanced and your using a balanced crank pulley,the only time they will break is if your bottom end is not balanced,do your home work buddy.... </TD></TR></TABLE>

dude why don't you finish what I said instead of making a new sentance with what I said, here I'll quote myself even
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbosi03 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just pick one of the popular name forged pistons they're all good. I went with CP's </TD></TR></TABLE>

there's a difference in what I said vs what you think I said... mean CP, weisco, JE, etc.. and yes those are all good quality pistons and all have been proven over and over... I've used both CP and JE's myself

fact is this guy told us there are no "professionals" in his area, so anyone he talks to will be someone he's never seen before. and if you search, you can find out what people have accomplished because most people post what they do on these forums, you can easily figure out who knows what they are talking about. there are a **** load of "professional" people on here if you know where to look. here I'll even drop a few names for example: Earl, tony1, flamenco-T, boostedhybrid, theshodan...

another fact is I have built my entire turbo setup and engine myself having no prior mechanical experience at all and no local mentors or anyone around me to help me out... I learned EVERYTHING from HT and my service manual... it's a far cry from sending money to an informercial... don't believe me then check the link in my sig

I'll give you one last fact, STOCK TB's ARE USED HUNDEREDS OF TIMES ON 500+whp setups no problem. it's the last thing that should be on your mind when thinking about your 400whp setup... I myself am currently running conservatively between 350~400whp and plan to up the boost for next spring and be well over 500whp... on my stock TB

and boostnhoe, your just an idiot for saying trust someone like JG engine dynamics... pfft haha... go do a search on that name and see what comes up
Old 11-04-2005, 12:03 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostnhoe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As far as me using an ITR oil pump they are very reliable as long as the bottom end is balanced and your using a balanced crank pulley,the only time they will break is if your bottom end is not balanced,do your home work buddy.... </TD></TR></TABLE>

um... well here's my ITR pump

and here's a few of my old B16a2 pumps...

guess what, the ITR and B16 pumps = SAME THING! the only reason why I got the ITR pump during my build was because of lack of homework on my part at the time, and in the end it doesn't matter anyway... if you use the b16 oil pump it will last just as long as the ITR pump...

try that out for homework
Old 11-04-2005, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbosi03 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok, first of all the GT35R is too big for your power goals IMO. you want the smallest turbo that will hit the max power you want with maybe some headroom so you can turn up boost later maybe... but with the GT35R your looking at over 5k rpm before you hit full boost on stock displacement... I say look into a GT32 or 34
just pick one of the popular name forged pistons they're all good. I went with CP's Earl can sell you a set. for rods, eagle's are cheaper then others but I've seen so many people on HT use them and push 500+hp over and over again... I went with Crower but my next build I might try those out to save money.

thats really all you need for the motor, should be able to crank out 400whp and be fine with a good tune.

dude there are so many guys on here that really know their **** you just have to know who's who... a little searching and you'll start to see a trend of names that seem to never let people down...

oh and think about your fuel system (you didn't mention anything about it) upgraded injectors, pump, etc... also you'll need a new clutch

I'd watch out for people that include things like "ITR oil pump" when listing things that helped them achieve 450whp </TD></TR></TABLE>

the 35R will do just fine. 5K boost, where in the heck did you get that from??????????? have you ever riden in or driven a 35R car???? i didnt htink so, a car we just tuned happens to be an AEBS built B16 with 81mm bore and makes like 15psi in the low 4K range and cant keep from breaking tires loose, even on drag radials. his car made 475@21psi. so if wants to make 400 he can do it with the 35R and still have room to grow if he decides to get a bigger motor down the road.

also most of your namebrand forged internals are very good, i use JE pistons and crower rods, they have never failed me, and i have almost a 500hp B16 as well
Old 11-04-2005, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rebuilding b16a2 for 400HP. (mrbsponge)

Originally Posted by mattcivic
funk! if i were u i would ship that motor to cali and have a shop do as much work on it as they can before u put it in the cost of shipping all those parts will prolly add up what u can ship your motor for and u could get it sleeved as well.
yeah, i know that but shipping it self is a pita.... besides i wanna do it by myself. (most of it)

Originally Posted by turbosi03
just pick one of the popular name forged pistons they're all good.

i will use a good brand pistons i just didnt decided which one yet.

about fueling.... i guess i will use a walbro 255hp pump.... and 550cc inj, give or take.

i guess ill be using a exedy stage 4 clutch (sprung)

Originally Posted by Si Shane

Errr, you suck dude. Heavy *** eagle rods are not for all motor applications. Nor are they 'cheap' rods. They work great,
thats true

Originally Posted by Si Shane
To the poster, use a stock TB and a JG Edelbrock manifold, keep the head how it is, add pistons and rods to the block. (CP are great pistons, I personally use Endyn-but that doesn't mean anything; Eagle rods are perfect for your application.) Go spend some time and, rather than picking out a turbo, size one.

I have seen The Shodan suggest a variant of the 30r a number of times for 400whp. I suggest looking into his opinion, as experience &gt; charts.

You say lots of great things in your post, but ultimately you just need more experience with this stuff before you're ready. You have to read as much as possible otherwise in 1 year you'll be kicking yourself saying man i was ******* stupid back then, I wish I didn't jump into this bercause now that I've been forced to read up on it for 1 year I know a lot more.
thanks....

Originally Posted by boostnhoe
Ok?? Just pick up any forged piston there all good?? what kind of advice is that?? As far as me using an ITR oil pump they are very reliable as long as the bottom end is balanced and your using a balanced crank pulley,the only time they will break is if your bottom end is not balanced,do your home work buddy....
baisicly.... it true... any reputable brand is ok? am i right? isnt it just the compresion ratio and piston shape thats different? (dish/dome?)

about balancing the cranck...!?!?
do i need to do it if i use aftermarket pistons??

i also didnt got the cranck pulley with the engine... lets say ill buy a used one in good condition do i need to balance it then?

Originally Posted by turbosi03

fact is this guy told us there are no "professionals" in his area, so anyone he talks to will be someone he's never seen before. and if you search, you can find out what people have accomplished because most people post what they do on these forums, you can easily figure out who knows what they are talking about. there are a **** load of "professional" people on here if you know where to look. here I'll even drop a few names for example: Earl, tony1, flamenco-T, boostedhybrid, theshodan...
Earl i got the bearings for this engine rebuild from earl.

flamenco-T i got a oil line kit for my TURBO D14 from stan.

another fact is I have built my entire turbo setup and engine myself having no prior mechanical experience at all and no local mentors or anyone around me to help me out... I learned EVERYTHING from HT and my service manual... it's a far cry from sending money to an informercial... don't believe me then check the link in my sig
[/QUOTE]

i did it too... it took me a whole year to collect knowledge/parts but i did it....

and guess what.... i turbod a D14.....

[/QUOTE]

I'll give you one last fact, STOCK TB's ARE USED HUNDEREDS OF TIMES ON 500+whp setups no problem. it's the last thing that should be on your mind when thinking about your 400whp setup... I myself am currently running conservatively between 350~400whp and plan to up the boost for next spring and be well over 500whp... on my stock TB

[/QUOTE]

thats true

Originally Posted by mrbsponge

where in the heck did you get that from??????????? have you ever riden in or driven a 35R car???? i didnt htink so, a car we just tuned happens to be an AEBS built B16 with 81mm bore and makes like 15psi in the low 4K range and cant keep from breaking tires loose, even on drag radials. his car made 475@21psi. so if wants to make 400 he can do it with the 35R and still have room to grow if he decides to get a bigger motor down the road.

Old 11-04-2005, 03:07 PM

i am running srp 8.5:1 compression 81mm pistons, filled block, and eagle rods, and a borg warner gm-8 stuffing the poor b16a full of about 20 -25 psi

cheap and easy power. motor goes together as soon as my piston rings arrive, ill keep ya updated. im a little curious to see how the gm-8 will respond.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ummm if we can work out shipping...i have a fully built b16a for sale....check my thread....
Old 11-04-2005, 10:27 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrbsponge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

the 35R will do just fine. 5K boost, where in the heck did you get that from??????????? have you ever riden in or driven a 35R car???? i didnt htink so, </TD></TR></TABLE>

my bad, I could have swarn I saw a few dyno charts of the GT35R and even with the 2.0L motor I thought it was upper 4k range..? hmm... either way its a bad *** turbo, but you can crank out 600+hp with that thing and I think it can be overkill for a stock sleeve motor... mainly because you can get even quicker spool on a GT32 or something like that and still reach that power level... ok fine I'm just jealous of the GT35R people

I would spend the $50 or so and get the crank balanced but you shouldn't need to balance a stock crank pully. but I guess that wont hurt either. I didn't balance mine.. btw I have an extra stock b16 crank pully if you want it.

and also 9:1cr is a good number for boost, thats what I used

Old 11-05-2005, 12:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

your goal is 400whp. why get a turbo that's good for 600+?? go with a gt30r. bigger isnt' always better.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rebuilding b16a2 for 400HP. (flip1199)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by flip1199 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your goal is 400whp. why get a turbo that's good for 600+?? go with a gt30r. bigger isnt' always better.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i said the same thing 2 years ago and 7 turbos later, after over 4 grand in turbos, i ended up with what i really wnated from the beginning
Old 11-05-2005, 04:26 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrbsponge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i said the same thing 2 years ago and 7 turbos later, after over 4 grand in turbos, i ended up with what i really wnated from the beginning</TD></TR></TABLE>

Expensive tires without traction.

Old 11-05-2005, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rebuilding b16a2 for 400HP. (Si Shane)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Si Shane &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Expensive tires without traction.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

high hp cars + traction excuses = why i ::heart:: h-t

it's funny how many people aim for 400 or 500 hp, but appearently forget they have a &gt;2500lb frontwheel drive car. A GT35 will be good for 1 thing and thats spinning your wheels, so if thats what you like, you'll be set