Notices

Really bad torque steer! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Really bad torque steer! Help!

I am having really bad torque steer whenever I am under WOT in 3rd gear and up. The car basically just swerves from left to right. I recently installed a traction bar and it helped some (I can actually stay in my lane now) but I have not had an alignment in a while. The car still drives very straight when cruising. My passenger side axle has been clicking for a while when I make left turns but I have not gotten around to replacing it yet. I am using innovative mounts along with the torque mounts and the obx lsd. If you’ve had this problem in the past what did you do to fix it or what do you think is the problem in my case.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Really bad torque steer! Help! (champLSinteg)

Up for an answer, i have some MAJOR torque steer as well.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:38 AM
* B A N N E D *

just because your car drives straight while cruising that doesnt necessarily mean that your alignment is right. It can still be off and not be noticable. maybe that possibly could be contributing to it?
Old 03-13-2008, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EASY101)

my car is doing the same thing... tracks fine going straight, but under power it pulls to the right pretty bad too...

My axles are shot as well click like a bastard... that could be the issue...
Old 03-13-2008, 10:19 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by champLSinteg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am having really bad torque steer whenever I am under WOT in 3rd gear and up. The car basically just swerves from left to right. I recently installed a traction bar and it helped some (I can actually stay in my lane now) but I have not had an alignment in a while. The car still drives very straight when cruising. My passenger side axle has been clicking for a while when I make left turns but I have not gotten around to replacing it yet. I am using innovative mounts along with the torque mounts and the obx lsd. If you’ve had this problem in the past what did you do to fix it or what do you think is the problem in my case.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well... why don't you fix what you know is wrong with it first and than come back and ask the questions...
if you know you are in need of an alignment and an axle... well.
what do you expect.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B20luda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my car is doing the same thing... tracks fine going straight, but under power it pulls to the right pretty bad too...

My axles are shot as well click like a bastard... that could be the issue... </TD></TR></TABLE>

same for you

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EASY101 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just because your car drives straight while cruising that doesnt necessarily mean that your alignment is right. It can still be off and not be noticable. maybe that possibly could be contributing to it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

here is a question for yall
how do you think that an out of lined car wouldn't contribute?
and same for the axles?
they are going to affect it period.
end of story
Old 03-13-2008, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Really bad torque steer! Help! (95jeremie)

Im sure its my axles, it never used to do it before until i beat on the car alot and now the axles just make lots of noise... i'd replace em but i need a different axle combination i dont wanna pay raxles 375 bucks for stock axles... thats gay
Old 03-13-2008, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Really bad torque steer! Help! (B20luda)

LSD

&lt;/thread&gt;
Old 03-13-2008, 11:44 AM

if your only looking for stock axles than hi up auto zone $60 with lifetime warranty.
but looking at your #'s in your sig that might not be the ticket
i don't really know... I'm still stuck in the sohc world
and dohc knowledge &gt; me
regardless get that **** fixed
Old 03-13-2008, 11:45 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Running925 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">LSD

&lt;/thread&gt;</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by champLSinteg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I am using innovative mounts along with the torque mounts and the obx lsd. If you’ve had this problem in the past what did you do to fix it or what do you think is the problem in my case.</TD></TR></TABLE>

reading &gt; you

Modified by 95jeremie at 4:10 PM 3/13/2008
Old 03-13-2008, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Shouldn't you lsd over come problem axles and still send equal power to each wheel.

Mabey the obx lsd is no good?
Old 03-13-2008, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (katoeh2o)

first u need to make sure ur LSD is working properly, becuase if the clutchess start slipping, then its going to pull it side to side with no pattern.

And if the car tracks straight while cruising but swerves under power, its not the alignment.Its most likely a bushing.

Check ur control arm bushings, bc my LSt had a bad buching and it was doing exactly what ur describing.

And someone tell me how it could be ur alginment if it only changes under power and drives straight under normal driving?The alginment changes due to something moving, not becuase its not adjusted.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (93supercoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93supercoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">first u need to make sure ur LSD is working properly, becuase if the clutchess start slipping, then its going to pull it side to side with no pattern.

And if the car tracks straight while cruising but swerves under power, its not the alignment.Its most likely a bushing.

Check ur control arm bushings, bc my LSt had a bad buching and it was doing exactly what ur describing.

And someone tell me how it could be ur alginment if it only changes under power and drives straight under normal driving?The alginment changes due to something moving, not becuase its not adjusted. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The OBX is a helical LSD, it will either work, or not. Since they have virtually no space to displace sheered gears, it would crunch and lockup if it was called to do any torque splitting or normal 'limited slipping' for cornering. But I'd still check it.

I do agree that it could be suspension-related though. I had a 95 hatch I sold to a moron, he crashed it (front right) & fixed it himself, but started going through bushing on that front right side. When he asked me to tune the 404's he put in the B18B1, it would drive fine until I accelerated. It pulled like HELL to one side with gas, then the other when braking. He sold it before he fixed the problem (he focused on looks/braging rights, not drivability ), but it was surely due to that suspension.

Cliffs: Bad suspension can cause massive torque steer. Other SOHC guys claim that they have little/zero TS with 3-400whp. Dropping a Civic usually gives it toe-out, making it's steering "responsive" by making it twitchy & unstable actually. Chances are you have severe toe-out, uneven between all the wheels.

BTW what chassis do you have?
Old 03-13-2008, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93supercoupe)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2247849

same problem
Old 03-13-2008, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cant buy h22a swap axles at autozone...not to mention there china built POS axles
Old 03-13-2008, 03:18 PM
ME LOVE U LONG TIME

i'm making 437whp, stock axles (vatozone) , no lsd.... NO BAD TORQUE STEER
Old 03-13-2008, 03:24 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B20luda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cant buy h22a swap axles at autozone...not to mention there china built POS axles</TD></TR></TABLE>

i don't care where they come from for $60 and lifetime warenty
as long as they work
that and once again I'm still SOHC so... no problems for me ha ha
Old 03-13-2008, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95jeremie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
well... why don't you fix what you know is wrong with it first and than come back and ask the questions...
if you know you are in need of an alignment and an axle... well.
what do you expect.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I am not sure if I need an alignment since it does track straight when cruising and everything else is normal. This is the second passenger side axle, the first one was replaced because the boot broke and leaked grease and instead of fixing it autozone replaced it for free. This was happening with the first axle as well but maybe it was bad too!

Sunday 3/9 I went to CMI here in norcal. In my first run it was pretty hard to keep it straight. I had to let off a couple times because it was pulling to the right really hard and I could not get it straight. After the run I checked I just eyeballed my caster and noticed that the driver side wheel was a little over half inch more forward than the passenger. I jacked the car up and pulled it back some and pulled the right one forward. They were not perfect but I was able to keep the car semi-straight going down the track afterwards. On the way home on street tires it was a different story...it still swerves when I get on it!

This is in a DC chassis by the way!
Old 03-13-2008, 03:55 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by champLSinteg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">After the run I checked I just eyeballed my caster and noticed that the driver side wheel was a little over half inch more forward than the passenger. I jacked the car up and pulled it back some and pulled the right one forward. They were not perfect but I was able to keep the car semi-straight going down the track afterwards. On the way home on street tires it was a different story...it still swerves when I get on it!</TD></TR></TABLE>

go and get an alignment asap
Old 03-13-2008, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think mine is a combination of a ghetto alignment and the axles, but i havent made up my mind on what to do for axles yet, and i need to remove my 4WS before i get it aligned... its just dead weight in my eyes...

And for the record i have an OBX LSD in my trans..
Old 03-13-2008, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

we have turbocharged front wheel drive cars, there really isnt too much you can do other then traction bars and a good alignment, use the, "hold the [freak] on" method lol
GL
Old 03-14-2008, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Really bad torque steer! Help! (boostedgsr1234)

my boosted 92 teg never pulled to the left. thats why i dont get why everyone says this is "normal" and just to "hang the F on" . I car should go straight...end of story. any car i've ever driven goes straight...even the teg which ran 12.00 in the 1/4 . In my opinion if its pulling one way or another...something is wrong.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by champLSinteg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well I am not sure if I need an alignment since it does track straight when cruising and everything else is normal. This is the second passenger side axle, the first one was replaced because the boot broke and leaked grease and instead of fixing it autozone replaced it for free. This was happening with the first axle as well but maybe it was bad too!

Sunday 3/9 I went to CMI here in norcal. In my first run it was pretty hard to keep it straight. I had to let off a couple times because it was pulling to the right really hard and I could not get it straight. After the run I checked I just eyeballed my caster and noticed that the driver side wheel was a little over half inch more forward than the passenger. I jacked the car up and pulled it back some and pulled the right one forward. They were not perfect but I was able to keep the car semi-straight going down the track afterwards. On the way home on street tires it was a different story...it still swerves when I get on it!

This is in a DC chassis by the way!</TD></TR></TABLE>

When u go get it aligned, make sure they focus on the caster because they wont normally do it becuase its non adjustqable, so make sure they know that it IS adjustable.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Really bad torque steer! Help! (93supercoupe)

Last edited by StolenTeg; 04-04-2010 at 04:46 PM.