Notices

Quirks of the Drag kit? Want to keep it real when it comes to installation...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2001, 05:32 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quirks of the Drag kit? Want to keep it real when it comes to installation...

Anyone want to post their pains with installing the Drag III kit on the GSR or more accurately the ITR? Things like having to trim the fan shroud, the webbing on the block, welding the oil pan, others, etc etc... Pictures for referance would be nice...

[Modified by Zeus, 6:32 PM 8/30/2001]
Old 08-30-2001, 05:40 PM

Default Re: Quirks of the Drag kit? Want to keep it real when it comes to installation... (Zeus)

Ok, well I wouldn't really call these things quirks.. they were just little (read: minor) obstacles in the installation.

First, you'll have to make sure you know what you're doing. The kit that my friend received had no instructions.

Second, you might have to file down the little nubs under the exhaust manifold (of course remove the manifold first) in order to get the DRAG manifold to sit properly against the block. This can be done with a regular metal file. A dremel would probably make it alot easier.

Third, if you plan on keeping your stock fans, you will have to trim parts of the fan and its blades to make room for the turbo. If you are going to go with aftermarket fans, this wont be necessary.

Other than that, the install was just plain smooth. Make sure you tap into the oil pan correctly. You might run into a few problems like not having a specific tool or something.. but that can be solved easily by going to your nearest Home Depot or Lowes. Also, make sure you wire your fuel pump correctly! hehe.. I say this because we did it wrong and had no idea why the car wasn't that "fast." Good luck on your installation. I loved the experience.
Old 08-30-2001, 06:03 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Quirks of the Drag kit? Want to keep it real when it comes to installation... (Rob92SC)

will be using a 225lph in tank pump, or larger Bosch pump... Done single turbo conversions on Supras and full engines and big turbos on several VR4s... I just hate little things that annoy... like poorly designed products that "almost fit". I'm leaning towards the Drag kit due to the hp potental... However, I haven't heard any bitching about the Fmax fit and finish... then again, haven't heard of anyone starting with the base Fmax kit and breaking 400 whp either...
Old 08-30-2001, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Quirks of the Drag kit? Want to keep it real when it comes to installation... (Rob92SC)

First, you'll have to make sure you know what you're doing. The kit that my friend received had no instructions.
True that! For the 1st time installer, this sucked!

Second, you might have to file down the little nubs under the exhaust manifold (of course remove the manifold first) in order to get the DRAG manifold to sit properly against the block. This can be done with a regular metal file. A dremel would probably make it alot easier.
Your a bad-*** if you did that with a file! I may be able to provide a photo of this. The webbing required quite a cut on my roommate's ITR.

Third, if you plan on keeping your stock fans, you will have to trim parts of the fan and its blades to make room for the turbo. If you are going to go with aftermarket fans, this wont be necessary.
The passenger side fan had to be trimmed significantly. The driver's side wasn't touched. The kit definitely isn't designed for AC. We retianed it, but had to bent the lines quite a bit. Plan to get creative!

The oil return line is a joke. We had a friend get us a steel-braided line and threaded coupling from a NASCAR shop to make this right. Think it cost around $60 for all the stuff. Jus had to drill a hole in the pan, tighten the coupling, re-install pan, and connect hose. Done!

The intercooler piping to the TB is way too small for the ITR. We got creative and doubled up on the pipe connects to make it fit.

The roommate opted for the Tial wastegate upgrade. The DRAG dump-tube aims right for the AC compressor. We purchased an exhaust extention kit from Pep Boys for $10 to extend the tube under the car and hopefully save the compressor.

The turbo manifold is a joke! We had move the passenger side stud to the middle and us the nut to hold the manifold. This was in addition to using a dremel to shave away material to fit the nut and wedge the dipstick around it. The design for our application SUCKS!

Can't think of much else at the moment. Hope that helps!
Old 08-30-2001, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Quirks of the Drag kit? Want to keep it real when it comes to installation... (Zeus)

I had to cut all of the IC piping for it to fit properly. and I wouldn't even consider using the oil return line they provide.
Old 08-30-2001, 08:03 PM
Better than steak

Hey Zeus,
I drive through Austin almost every weekend on my way to San Antonio. Shoot me an email if you need anything. If you plan it out it will go smooth.

art
Old 09-01-2001, 11:41 AM
Trial User

Anyone with a Integra esp an ITR want to add to this?
Yes... no?

[Modified by Zeus, 2:49 PM 9/1/2001]
Old 09-01-2001, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its not an itr but dustin has some verygood pics of the install on his gsr. dustin post the link up brother!
Old 09-02-2001, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Quirks of the Drag kit? Want to keep it real when it comes to installation... (lucas569)

How bout Civic Si's or b16's? any baby-DOHCer's in the house or am i the guinea pig?!?!
Old 09-02-2001, 08:25 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Quirks of the Drag kit? Want to keep it real when it comes to installation... (lucas569)

Who is dustin? sounds like some useful pics...