Notices

Question about Water Methanol Injection

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 05:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Water Methanol Injection

I checked the boost FAQ and tried to use the search feature but couldn't find any good info on my question. I'm trying to hit about 300hp in my F22B1 and was just wondering if water injection would be beneficial or needed for this relatively moderate number. BTW its not going to be super high compression just 8.8:1. Thanks in advance for any info you guys can provide.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:47 AM

Default Re: Question about Water Methanol Injection

Way #1 - if you are running near the edge of safety on Pump Gas and higher boost level, water/meth injector will increase the octane of the fuel/air mixture entering the combustion chamber as well and lower the charge temps which helps stave off detonation from whatever the source. If you tune the car on pump without any injection and then add the injection later, you will barely lose any power at all if any and run much safer for very inexpensively. Also, if you run out of Meth or the system ever fails...you are tuned here and you arent relying on the meth so chances are, nothing bad will happen

Way #2 - if you are trying to surpass the detonation threshold using pump gas (not using race gas) you can tune using Water/Meth injection to increased power levels by tuning leaner and meaner (more timing) as the increase in octane and lower charge temps allow you to raise the detonation threshold. However, if you run out of Meth or the system ever fails...no doubt that bad things will surely follow, immediately.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:15 AM

I 2nd THAT!!!
Old 01-31-2009, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by malink
Way #1 - if you are running near the edge of safety on Pump Gas and higher boost level, water/meth injector will increase the octane of the fuel/air mixture entering the combustion chamber as well and lower the charge temps which helps stave off detonation from whatever the source. If you tune the car on pump without any injection and then add the injection later, you will barely lose any power at all if any and run much safer for very inexpensively. Also, if you run out of Meth or the system ever fails...you are tuned here and you arent relying on the meth so chances are, nothing bad will happen

Way #2 - if you are trying to surpass the detonation threshold using pump gas (not using race gas) you can tune using Water/Meth injection to increased power levels by tuning leaner and meaner (more timing) as the increase in octane and lower charge temps allow you to raise the detonation threshold. However, if you run out of Meth or the system ever fails...no doubt that bad things will surely follow, immediately.

well said...however 300 isnt that much power to be made. I dont see any reason why you would need it. save your money for good mangement and a proper tune and you should be just fine without water injection
Old 01-31-2009, 02:13 PM

its also depends on what kind of mixture you want. I run 50/50 and so far i never had a problem with my car
Old 01-31-2009, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can make much more than 300whp safely on pump gas. I would say the safe limit on pump gas is around 450-500 depending on what octane is available. If you tune on pump gas and add water/meth, then power should go up slightly and your safety margin increases as well, if anything were to happen.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:30 PM

Spend the money on TUNING!!!!! Water/Meth is not needed with the HP you are looking for you can safely surpass 300hp on pump gas with the right Fuel management and tuning!!!