Water/Methanol Injection

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water/Methanol Injection

So I have decided to go with the AEM's Water/Methanol injection system with 93 pump gas. I would normally just run E85 but I am going to be driving my Integra across the country. E85 can be hard to fin and inconsistent.

My friend works for a lab and he has access to this to "Methanol" but I went to the manufacture's website and they had 3 pages of different types. I am confused as to what kind to use or if it is all close enough to being the same. I'd also like to stick with the brand I use to get my car tuned with so it's consistent.

My question is, should I try out the free stuff my friend can get me? Or should I order some Torco Methanol which is obviously made for my application?

Also wondering how much will I go through everytime I am hitting full boost etc? Any idea how long 5 gallons would last driving a few days a week?

Last edited by NIKADEM0; 02-27-2014 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Had to add pictute
Old 02-27-2014, 05:07 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Water/Methanol Injection

HOw much you go through depends upon driving habits. Going across country you won't be using much hopefully unless you're performing a "Cannonball run". you'll be out of engine load at cruising speeds, you'll barely use it if at all. Unless you're over the controlled boost threshold in which you're at full spray of the methanol, that'll last the whole trip and then some

As for whether or not to use X or Y type of Meth, that's going to be based upon how its tuned. If you tune with that stuff, then keep using it. Most in our area make our own methanol so there's really no issue.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
HOw much you go through depends upon driving habits. Going across country you won't be using much hopefully unless you're performing a "Cannonball run". you'll be out of engine load at cruising speeds, you'll barely use it if at all. Unless you're over the controlled boost threshold in which you're at full spray of the methanol, that'll last the whole trip and then some

As for whether or not to use X or Y type of Meth, that's going to be based upon how its tuned. If you tune with that stuff, then keep using it. Most in our area make our own methanol so there's really no issue.
So as far as driving across the country from Wisconsin to Florida at highway speeds the majority of the time, think I could get away with a Gallon? I don't want to drive with that 5 gal pal of liquid fire death if I don't have to. I know it's near impossible to determine exactly how much I'll be using. I got a B18c1 bottom/B16a1 head with a Garrett GT 3076R turbo. My goal is 500-600 WHP. My engine should handle it fine being that it's sleeved, etc...

Last edited by NIKADEM0; 02-27-2014 at 05:35 PM. Reason: corrected spelling error
Old 02-27-2014, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am also wondering if I have to install the nozzle into the intake manifold?
Old 02-27-2014, 08:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be careful how you angle the nozzle if you put it into the intake manifold. I put mine in the charge piping before the TB. There's some conversation about aiming into or with the direction of airflow, into the throttle plate, etc.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:12 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

You'll barely use a gallon. Put the nozzle in the intercooler pipe about 3-6 inches before the throttle body.. don't bother with the intake manifold at all
Old 02-28-2014, 02:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the responses! Appreciated :-)
Old 02-28-2014, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Honestly if you're worried about how much you'll use, just drive like a little old lady and so long as your trigger isn't set way low you'll never use any meth. Just stay out of positive pressures and you'll be fine
Old 03-02-2014, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NIKADEM0
So as far as driving across the country from Wisconsin to Florida at highway speeds the majority of the time, think I could get away with a Gallon? I don't want to drive with that 5 gal pal of liquid fire death if I don't have to. I know it's near impossible to determine exactly how much I'll be using. I got a B18c1 bottom/B16a1 head with a Garrett GT 3076R turbo. My goal is 500-600 WHP. My engine should handle it fine being that it's sleeved, etc...
You will absolutely not use a gallon on your trip. I daily drove my car and meth/water started spraying at 8psi, and I was at 28psi all the time. I went through a half gallon in a month, that is with the biggest nozzle, the 550. The nozzle is supposed to be 12 inches away from the throttle body and at a 45* angle.

As for driving with "liquid fire death" , it is no more dangerous than windshield washer fluid, as the chemicals are the same. 51% water 49% meth
Old 03-02-2014, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome. Good to know I won't be using all that much. Saving money is always good. What do you think about those pics I posted? If one is 100% and the other is 99.9% methanol I should be able to use both, right? Just weighing my options... I figure methanol is methanol and if one is marketed as "racing fuel" it'll cost more etc but be the same theoretically. New to this methanol!
Old 03-02-2014, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How much is that stuff per gallon? I run this stuff called boost juice, simply 49% meth 51% water nothing else.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Fliiip
How much is that stuff per gallon? I run this stuff called boost juice, simply 49% meth 51% water nothing else.
You can get that 5 gal pal of Torco off eBay or Amazon for $85 shipped or a gal for around $30. That other stuff is gonna be free :-)

How much do you pay for your pre mixed solution?
Old 03-02-2014, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Isn't boost juice red? That makes me believe its water, methanol and red dye! From what I've seen online that Torco is a better deal since I could make 10 gallons of 50/50 mix for $85 and its crystal clear, not that it matters... Just weird it's red, unless that's the color of the bottle and I'm mistaken
Old 03-02-2014, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I paid $10 / gal of boost juice, pre mixed, and yes, it is dyed red.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Not too bad. I don't mind mixing it though. Can't really mess up 50/50 in a gallon lol
Old 03-02-2014, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, if I use It again, I'm mixing myself. I'm going to e85.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

E85 is awesome. I'd stay with it if I wasn't moving across the country. I don't want to have to retune my car. I believe meth Injection can have a higher octane rating compared to e85 and it's cool. E85 can also be inconsistent, I always went to the same gas station and my car ran fine. I like how e85 is better for the environment too.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:14 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

honestly laboratory grade methanol is hard to beat, if it's pure enough for biological testing then it's purer than anything companies make for automotive use.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost
honestly laboratory grade methanol is hard to beat, if it's pure enough for biological testing then it's purer than anything companies make for automotive use.
That's what I thought. Just not sure if I can get a steady supply of it. Maybe I'll tune on the Torco and use the lab stuff after I run out or something..
Old 03-02-2014, 12:37 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

methanol for injection use doesn't have to be that pure as you aren't using it a a fuel source so any contamination in the methanol is a non issue... especially since it's contamination is normally a small percentage of water and other irrelevant compounds (just look at the label on the lab grade stuff to get an idea of what's in it, that stuff is basically 100% pure methanol)

and with methanol injection the methanol will vaporize before it reaches the combustion chamber, vaporizing the contaminants with it... that's why you see some people using windshield washer fluid, it's water, methanol, and dye... same thing as boost juice really.

however I can tell you that 5 gallons of lab grade isn't cheap by any means, just make sure whoever your friend is that he won't get in trouble or be arrested for theft... if multiple 5 gallon pails start walking off his company might not like it very much

I don't know where you live but I can get a 55 gallon drum of good methanol for 240usd locally... as long as you have a way to pick up the drum it's dirt cheap, when you start shipping fuel it gets very expensive
Old 03-02-2014, 12:43 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

and methanol consumption depends on the ratio you blend it in (most use 50/50, I use 70/30 so I can get as much benefit as possible from the methanol) and the amount injected, as well as the starting point pressure.

again, since you aren't using it as a source of fuel the consumption is very low, like 550cc/min or so on average.

the hard part is figuring out just how much to inject and when, there's a calculator somewhere online that figures out a good place to start with injection amounts but I can't remember where it was, just google methanol injection calculator... it should be one of the first links, it's an interactive application like the zealworks compression calculator
Old 03-02-2014, 12:53 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

also you need a failsafe should the system fail, aems new kits they debuted at PRI last year had dash mounted standalone controllers with a failsafe output, I don't know what you're using for engine management but some will control a meth system...

the failsafe should be sent to an input on the ecu (most Honda tuning systems support this) which when activated should cut boost pressure, pull timing, lower the maximum rpm limit, swap maps, or some combination of these.

since you can run more aggressive timing and higher pressures with meth injection, should the system fail while under load it could cause catastrophic engine failure. the failsafe system reverts the engine to a safe operating point until the system functions properly.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My tuner is going to dial in the methanol for me. I plan on using Hondata s300.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:20 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

it should support the failsafe function

if I remember right, the aem controller has a starting pressure point and a maximum boost point, it calculates on its own how much methanol to inject (i only briefly looked at their controller at PRI, I think I pissed off the aem rep when I could tell him where all of their technology for their ecus and other electronics come from lol... aem doesn't really make anything, they relabel other people's ****)

it has a few ***** on it to set it up, I think there's a **** to control how fast the controller increases the injection rate from the starting amount to the maximum amount but no way to control how much is injected
Old 03-02-2014, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost
it should support the failsafe function

if I remember right, the aem controller has a starting pressure point and a maximum boost point, it calculates on its own how much methanol to inject (i only briefly looked at their controller at PRI, I think I pissed off the aem rep when I could tell him where all of their technology for their ecus and other electronics come from lol... aem doesn't really make anything, they relabel other people's ****)

it has a few ***** on it to set it up, I think there's a **** to control how fast the controller increases the injection rate from the starting amount to the maximum amount but no way to control how much is injected
That's funny how you pissed him off lol. You think I should go straight to the biggest nozzle since my power goal is 500+ WHP ? My tuner already has a lot of work ahead of him lol. Gotta break my engine in on the dyno and dial in my cams etc. Going to be a long but awesome day!

Quick Reply: Water/Methanol Injection