Notices

Question about Revhard or DRAG manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Question about Revhard or DRAG manifolds

Hey guys,

I'm trying to sort out some problems with my turbo install. With the kit installed my car idles pretty loud. When I was installing the manifold I took ot the middle stud and nut so that I could get the oil dipstick in place. But now my manifold is leaking from this location. I found out through searching that you should leave all your manifold bolts in.

But what I want to know is if I cant get my dipstick in place how am I going to check my oil? How did you guys solve this problem? Can I put a bolt in there instead? Or should I just run the stud and nut and say "screw it, I dont need to check my oil"?

Also the outermost nut towards the dizzy side would not go on the stud because it was hitting the manifold. Can I grind down the manifold a little, or should I go with something like a hex head bolt or an Allen head bolt? What thread pitch and size are the exhaust manifold bolts anyways?

An last question, would this leak in my manifold area cause my wideband readings to be off? My Crome basemap is done up for my 750cc's and I can tell just by smell that it is pretty rich. But my LM1 readout shows 20-30 AFR (1.6-2.0 Lambda at idle). I already fixed the leaks coming from my DP by welding over the DP holes, but I think the manifold leaks are still throwing my AFR's off.

what do you guys think
TIA
Old 06-18-2005, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Question about Revhard or DRAG manifolds (BlueShadow)

Maybe a flexible aftermarket dipstick ? Im not to familiar with the engine, pics would be helpful
Old 06-18-2005, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question about Revhard or DRAG manifolds (B6tPoweredMx3)

It's a B18C with a RH manifold, Even a flexible dipstick might have a hard time getting around the stud.

Here is a pic of my manifold with the center stud still installed

Took out the center stud and was able to put the dipstick in

Old 06-18-2005, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is there enough material there to grind away some of manifold so your dipstick will fit. Also, can you use a bolt instead of a stud?
Old 06-18-2005, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boondock Saint)

I'm gonna try some hex head bolts to see if I can fit them in there. Their slimmer profile might just be enough to allow the dipstick past. I just have to remember what thread/pitch a B18C has for the exhaust manifold studs. If that doesn't work I could try hitting it with a die grinder to make a little more room. The manifold is pretty thick so a little material off the surface should be ok.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boondock Saint)

^ great movie, The Boondock Saints.
anyways back on topic.
Maybe you would be able to snake the dipstick around a different way with the flexible one, or you could use a bolt as said in the previous post.
Old 06-18-2005, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B6tPoweredMx3)

hey man I don't mean to jack your thread or anything but what are the cons of using a wastegate elbow? I've got a tial that is hitting by hood and I was thinking about getting an elbow also is there room for a dump tube when using the elbow? thanks and sorry again for thread jacking
Old 06-18-2005, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rwcdrums)

rwcdrums,

A wastegate elbow might solve that problem that you are experiencing with your WG and hood clearance. If I was to put my TIAL upright with the top nipple in place my hood would hit it. The problem with putting it sideways is that some elbows positioning the WG outlet so that it is pointing right at your radiator. This might not be a problem for most people but for my setup there is not enough room to put a dumptube in there cause the WG outlet is so close to my radiator. I would have to cut the WG elbow, clock the WG so that the outlet points down and reweld the elbow. My other option is to buy a Turbosmart Ultragate 38mm WG which is a little shorter then the TIAL and it also has the 2 nipples on the sides.

Check out this thread for info on the turbosmart:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1271748