Notices

Question about BOV re-routing

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about BOV re-routing

Is there any advantages of re-routing your BOV to the compressor side of the turbo or inlet? I heard you get better boost response or faster spool is this true? Thanks for your help.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would like to know also
Old 03-27-2005, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BB6-213)

i dont think it will help faster spooling , but i know it release the pressure much faster. i could be wrong.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:39 AM
TSPeed Factory

Default Re: (Ignitecivic)

theres always been a huge debate about this. there are a bunch of theories, and preferences. i've seen it placed just about everywhere and it seemed to work fine in each setup.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My theory is that it makes no sense dumping hot air into your compressor inlet. The turbine drives the turbo, not the compressor wheel, so dumping a surge of air into it won't help spool
Old 03-28-2005, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Boondock Saint)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boondock Saint &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My theory is that it makes no sense dumping hot air into your compressor inlet. The turbine drives the turbo, not the compressor wheel, so dumping a surge of air into it won't help spool</TD></TR></TABLE>

why would air from a BOV after the intercooler be hott???? anyone??

on DSMs the car goes megga rich due to the air being bled away from the intake tract, DSMs are supposed to be recirculated, and when they do this, they run better. no super rich shifts, no popping, no backfiring.

hondas dont seem to react that way probably cause they are MAP and not MAF cars
Old 03-28-2005, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mrbsponge)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrbsponge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why would air from a BOV after the intercooler be hott???? anyone??

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok, let me explain myself,

Let’s say that the ambient air temperature (cooling medium) is 80 degrees. Let’s say my compressor discharge temperature is 180 degrees

180-80 = 100 degrees cooling is possible, if the intercooler is 100% efficient

Assuming that our intercooler’s efficiency is less than 100% (I know mine is less..)

Let’s say the intercooler is 80% efficient (if you are lucky), that would mean

100 x 80% = 80 degrees temperature drop across the intercooler, this would mean that

Your intercooler outlet temperature is now 100 degrees, remember ambient was 80 degrees.

Now dump 100-degree air into the turbocharger inlet and let it apply it’s heating magic to that, and then assuming that the intercooler efficiency is 80% like it was a few moments ago, guess what…you now have an intercooler outlet temperature that is greater than 100 degrees.

What logical person would want to do that?
Old 03-28-2005, 10:09 AM

someone who cares less about a little warm air dumping into the turbo inlet to go back through the intercooler and more about a barely audible blowoff.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

BOV's are recirculated in MAF sensor cars because the air exiting the BOV has already been metered. In speed density cars (MAP) recirculating is completely unnecessary because the air has not been accounted for until it reaches the intake manifold.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (f22b2tdave)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by f22b2tdave &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">someone who cares less about a little warm air dumping into the turbo inlet to go back through the intercooler and more about a barely audible blowoff. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh boy, that sounds quite illogical to anyone who cares about performance, or about preventing detonation.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boondock Saint &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Oh boy, that sounds quite illogical to anyone who cares about performance, or about preventing detonation.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i highly doubt that that 1/2 cubic foot of air will do any harm to a compressor or motor when it comes to temperature, as sated above like i said about DSMs, they have to have it.

i take it as the air expelled during a shift is not lost, it is already ahead of the game going right back to where it was, which is less the compressor has to draw in
Old 03-28-2005, 11:05 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boondock Saint &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oh boy, that sounds quite illogical to anyone who cares about performance, or about preventing detonation.</TD></TR></TABLE>

hahaha completely unfounded....so if you had a MAF car, you would just assume go open atmosphere and shoot a big ball of fire, than actually put that burning gas to use...say in your engine....because the warm air would cause detonation if you ran a bypass??? yeah i don't know about YOUR car, but my car doesn't have any detonation anyways because it was tuned on a brisk night. but by you're theory, when it gets warmer out i would detonate....because i would be drawing in warmer air.

and for what its worth i run water injection, my cooling is taken care of thanks.
i was just trying to give you a little perspective...
heres the jist of everything ive typed: people re reoute blowoffs for reasons that....get this...ARE NOT performance related.
that is all.

Old 03-28-2005, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree, if performance is not an issue, then a lot of things don't matter anymore.

Most factory turbo cars like the DSM run extremely low factory compression ratios, 7.8 to 1 on first gen DSMs and something like 8.5 on 2nd gens, so those cars are much less prone to detonation (I've owned 2 turbo DSMs btw..)