Notices

put turbo kit on 3k ago...been street tuning and cant figure out idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default put turbo kit on 3k ago...been street tuning and cant figure out idle

Okay I have h22a4 stock t3/t4 normal piece together kit running uberdata. Have wideband in car so been street tuning for last month with it. I cant figure out the idle though is the only thing thats bothering me. On the wideband when I let off the gas as im coming to a light it will go down to 11's then up to 14s then up to 16 then back to 14. What would cause this....its got a stutter like a carburated car or something but only at idle everythign else is clean. Any ideas? Could valve be slightly bent? Or any other ideas I cant imagine tunign would cause that big of difference in how it changes.....let me know thoughts thanks
Old 05-24-2004, 01:19 PM

Default Re: put turbo kit on 3k ago...been street tuning and cant figure out idle (gdrum)

OEM IM? maybe lean it out?
Old 05-24-2004, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: put turbo kit on 3k ago...been street tuning and cant figure out idle (4-banging)

yea tryed leaning/riching it...any other ideas
Old 05-24-2004, 11:30 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude there are SO many things that can affect idle,
tuning woul most likely be one of them.
Old 05-25-2004, 04:43 AM

Default Re: (Tad)

whats the fuel pressure reading at idle? set it to 35-40psi.

have you put it on a dyno yet? that would be my next suggestion.
Old 05-25-2004, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: put turbo kit on 3k ago...been street tuning and cant figure out idle (gdrum)

The enrichening immediately after letting off the throttle is normal. There's a bit of a lag in the injector response. I'll have to show you the delta lambda recordings on the Hondata every time I shift.

I'm not sure about the 2 point fluctuation.
Old 05-25-2004, 06:58 AM

Default Re: put turbo kit on 3k ago...been street tuning and cant figure out idle (IN VTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IN VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The enrichening immediately after letting off the throttle is normal. There's a bit of a lag in the injector response. I'll have to show you the delta lambda recordings on the Hondata every time I shift.

I'm not sure about the 2 point fluctuation.</TD></TR></TABLE>

is that normal for both saturated and p/h injectors?
Old 05-25-2004, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: put turbo kit on 3k ago...been street tuning and cant figure out idle (4-banging)

The way I look at it is that when you're in the relatively higher load columns, the amount of fuel it's injecting is enough that if you step off the throttle, it would have an excess of fuel b/c the throttle is closed. Then it takes a brief moment to stabilize.

There's no need to tune it out and in some cases, it's there to help with throttle re-tip in as a function of the deceleration enleanment parameter. I'm not sure how that function figures into Hondata/Uberdata. I don't think it's tied into the accelerator pump setting, so my guess is that it's not a revisable parameter in those two engine management systems.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: put turbo kit on 3k ago...been street tuning and cant figure out idle (IN VTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IN VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The way I look at it is that when you're in the relatively higher load columns, the amount of fuel it's injecting is enough that if you step off the throttle, it would have an excess of fuel b/c the throttle is closed. Then it takes a brief moment to stabilize.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

That part makes really good sense...I just think its going overkill because it will go down to 10's then up to 16s then to 14s then to 15s.....and even at a solid 14.4 it idles so rough...made me wonder if a valve is slightly bent... just wanting peoples opinions..

Oil pressure is 41/42 with the line on...plug gap is fine, i know ther is a lot of things it can be but majority ive tried/used....ive just never seen this much of a rate change...
Old 05-25-2004, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bent valves will show up on a compression test, as will pitted or unmatched seats. If it's enough to cause a significant compression loss, then you'll know it b/c it'll idle like a 2-stroke weed whacker. If the seats aren't matched, then it'll most likely be the EX valves, in which case, you can see it on the spark plug from the exhaust reversion.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:22 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IN VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Bent valves will show up on a compression test, as will pitted or unmatched seats. If it's enough to cause a significant compression loss, then you'll know it b/c it'll idle like a 2-stroke weed whacker. If the seats aren't matched, then it'll most likely be the EX valves, in which case, you can see it on the spark plug from the exhaust reversion.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you know way to much...let me guess you slept at the Holiday Inn last night j/k

I've even learned from this guy posts