Notices

Problems on start up. (since recent turbo install)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems on start up. (since recent turbo install)

Ok, So I just installed the civic sohc vtec edelbrock (street legal) turbo kit on my dx. Note that I also did a vtec head swap as well.

My problem:
When I start up my car in the morning it bogs out really bad until it warms up. My boost gauge reads that instead of (what seems to be normal) about 20 vaccum, it will be around 16 and sometimes go all the way up to 0 pressure until it sometime stall. The stalling is a pretty rare occurance which seem to only happen on REALLy cold days. But it almost always bogs a bit. It takesso long sometime that I try and drive it anyways and it will be boosting a little bit even if i'm not giving it much gas, (like I'm running too lean or just getting toomuch airflow on my starry up). I wanted to also note that I have 2.5 inch piping all the way back with no resonator or cat. Would putting a performance cat rid of my problem? Does anyone have any other suggestions.
P.S. I apolagize if there is archived material with my answer, I had a hardtime figuring out what to search for.

Thanks guys!
Old 02-16-2005, 08:06 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Do you have your coolant lines to your TB bypassed? Do you have larger aftermarket injectors? My cold idle is funky because of these issues, but once it warms up it's fine.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DaX)

Mine does the same thing, but it's because of the bigger injectors. Once the car's been running for a little bit, it runs fine. At cold startup it boggs and sputters.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:11 PM

Default Re: (1bad-eg)

In responce, my coolant lines to my throttle body are not bypassed, but I did get an extra set of fuel injectors that came with the kit. I would think that the engine management system would pick up on that. Do you think maybe the edelbrock engine management is thrown off by me not having a cat? I might wanna note that instead of the boost being set at 6-7 psi like they said it would, my boost spikes up at around 12 psi in high rpms when vtec kicks in. Anymore insight?

Thanks guys!

P.S. When it boggs on start up, how bad is that for the car?

Modified by TurboHatch00 at 6:28 AM 2/17/2005
Old 02-17-2005, 07:32 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

I almost guarantee it's the larger injectors giving you rough idle on cold startup. What EMS are you running? If it's a tuneable EMS, you can set your target idle a little higher and maybe play with the IACV duty cycle.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:32 PM

Default Re: (DaX)

I'm running an edelbrock fuel management system right now,

Here's the kit I bought if it helps:
http://edelbrock.carshopinc.co.../1500

It's a plug and play system, and I was told that you can tune the engine management system, but I have never even thought about touching it because,
1. I don't know what I'm doing
2. I don't think I have the right equipment to do it.
3. I didn't want to use my unique ability to screw things up,

But if anyone has anymore insight for me, i'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2005, 03:30 PM

Default Re: (TurboHatch00)

call edelbrock im sure they have great customer service
Old 02-21-2005, 08:22 AM

Default Re: (primeredbeast)

To tell you the truth, I've talked to edelbrock for hours on end, and they havn't done squat for me. The guy even said he would send me a brand new performance throttle body for my troubles. . . that was a lie. I've been thinking about calling them back, but he didn't really help me at all. He kept saying "I'd have to see it". By the time he was sick of talking to me he said "well it's you and one other guy that are having the same problems, if you come up with any solutions let me know so I can tell the other guy." I was like wtf man.. .