Notices

problems with boost

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problems with boost

problem last week

I washaving problems my car overheating, i didnt have any problems untill i start hitting boost, driving with out boosting i have no issue, about 10 sec after i boost the temp starts to rise, and will start overheating. anitfrezze is pushed out to my overflow and not returned,it steams out the top of the overflow where the tube comes in from the rad. I replaced the t-stat and i havent overheated since

I have had people telling my that it is possible that my head is lifting cause a leak between my head gasket and my head, I still have the stock head bolts in and I am running 9 lbs on a stock d16y8, good tune

I replaced the pcv valve last night and the car ran good while it was cold. My cuz and I took the car up to the bar to grab a couple of six packs and when i pulled in the parking lot the car started smoking, so i turned it off. After I came back out and started it up it started smoking again, I went to leave and the car really didnt have any power in the low end pulling out, the car putted up to speed,and was blowing alot of smoke out the exhaust, when I got home I pulled it in the garage and let it run for a little bit, I opened up my hood a couple of mins later and tapped the throdle control. the car stalled out after that and it wouldnt turn back over.

I check my plugs for to see if they were fouled out but they looked fine. there was steam coming out of the hole were the plug was pulled and also out of oil cap, there is some blow by on the oil cap but about a pinhead amount on the dipstick

the car didnt not over heat at all, is it posible that i fried a ring? or is this a headgasket issue? or something else
Old 10-11-2006, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My first guess would be head lift under boost.
Redo the headgasket and use some studs
Old 10-11-2006, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Minglor)

you may have cracked a sleeve. when your drive it and hit boost soon as the car starts to get hot pull over and check the overflow bottle. if its filled up the boost is pushing all your coolant out of the motor.
either way your going to have to pull the head and check it out.
good luck
Old 10-11-2006, 10:58 AM

Default Re: (VtecnTurbo)

it didnt overheat on me since i replaced the t-stat, but i have only put 5 miles on it since then, I am having an issue when the car comes to a complete stop. My boost guage reads vacuum and boost, when i stop the vacuum increase arround .4 or .5 bar, and the car runs like crap, when i try to pull out from a stop the car feels like there is no power and it sounds like a old steam engine train starting to move there is also alot of smoke coming out, after 2000 rpm the car acts nomal and there is little problem, when I got home from the bar last night I pulled the car in the garage and let it run for a little bit and got out of the car to check the smoke coming from the exhaust, It is steam coming out of there. I opened my hood and checks for issues in there, i hit the gas feed under the hood and the car reved up the stalled out while blowing alot out the exhaust, i then tryed to restart the car and it didnt turn over, so i started by checking my plugs, i only pulled one plug to check to see if there was any liguid on it, it was dry however there was steam coming out of it there was also steam coming out of the oil cap hole and there was some blowby on the oil cap.

I tryed starting the car this moring and it started right up, I only let it run for a fraction of a sec and there was no smoke out the exhaust
Old 10-11-2006, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (t3t4delsol)

what are you tuning with.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:58 PM

Default Re: (Turbo_y8)

crome pro, but it was set rich because my clutch was slipping at 5,000 rpm. and my tuners gonna retune it. Vtec was turned off because i am only tuned to 5k could that be causeing a problem?

Also cels are turned off would i be able to pull codes out of the ecu because the ecu is obd1 and my car is obd2,

If i would pull my 7.5 backup fuse to reset the ecu would it erase the memory on the ecu or would the maps still be on there? it has is socked and has a rewritable chip

I think the car is also running lean as of rightnow because of all of the steam in the engine, the plugs were a little white and there only a month old and done when the tune was done
Old 10-11-2006, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

are you losing coolant. Sounds like head gasket failure or head lift. try retorqueing the head.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:05 PM

yes im lossing coolant, the one driverside rear head stud is broken, I ordered some arps today
Old 10-11-2006, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats probably part of the problem. replace the head gasket while your at it.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:22 PM

what kind do you recomend? 3 or 4 layer? and what manufacture
Old 10-12-2006, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a cometic, but i would go oem honda.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:21 AM

oem is not an option will be uping the boost with in a year
Old 10-12-2006, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would still use oem. Im shooting for over 300whp spring, oem is going to be choice, along with many others. just my .02 though. others will work though.

personally, ive had bad luck with golden eagle, 2 head gaskets, 5 psi, tuned in 2 months, switched to cometic and its doing good. 8 psi 4 months.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:57 PM

I had the same problem, car overheating and blowing the coolant out of the rad. I changed the h/g twice, did the PCV, checked the coolant system out numerous times, changed the ARPs twice, changed the rad just incase etc....

... I ended up having the block skimmed and touch wood, its been cool so far. So I guess the head was lifting just a little due to a blemish on the block, and that was enough to pressurise the cooling system and force it all out the rad.

by the way oem h/g is fine for more boost. I thought golden eagle are OEM anyway?

Good luck