Notices

problem on my greddy blue box developing of late.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 11:24 AM
at the jetties fishin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default problem on my greddy blue box developing of late.

ok, first off.....

NO!!!! i'm not getting rid of the blue box and doing the hack or hondata!!! no FUCING money for that **** so don't jump on that horse in this post.

ok, now the problem. been boosting my greddy kit with blue box for over a year and in the past few months I've noticed that I chew through a set of plugs about once a month or so.

I use premium gas, intercooled, 8psi, and ngk's (i've tried normal, step colder, 2 step colder) and after about a month under hard top end acceleration the car will start to skip some, I change the plugs and all is good for another month.

what can i do to stop this? I've got a full-on MSD ignition setup under hood so i know it's not spark strength. I've tried setting gap at .044 (stock), and .035 (what other run) and still happens.

any ideas? i'm getting sick of riding around town for a month and then RIGHT when the problem surfaces some kid wants to try me and i have to back off cause I'm skipping
Old 02-04-2004, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

might have to do withthe fact that the a/f mixture is rich, fouling the plugs...
i go through the same ****
Old 02-04-2004, 11:47 AM

Default Re: (igo4bmx)

Its not the plugs or the ignition...the only thing you could change is the thing you told us you wouldn't.
Old 02-04-2004, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (xenocron)

shhh, don't say it.
Old 02-04-2004, 12:12 PM
at the jetties fishin'

Default Re: (Bailhatch)

yeah, i was probably thinking it was the blue box. just wondering if others were having the same problems I was.

only reason I said what I did about the hack and such was because I knew there'd be a million one line posts like:

"go with the hack"

and that's not what I was needing...
Old 02-04-2004, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (stackz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stackz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah, i was probably thinking it was the blue box. just wondering if others were having the same problems I was.

only reason I said what I did about the hack and such was because I knew there'd be a million one line posts like:

"go with the hack"

and that's not what I was needing...</TD></TR></TABLE>

well i have the blue box too.
i have an afc and injectors sitting in my bedroom waiting for the winter to be over.
Ijustified buying it because it will save me money from my horribelgas mileage with the blue box ( i get 190 to the tank on a good week!)
Old 02-04-2004, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: problem on my greddy blue box developing of late. (stackz)

swich to iridum plugs and check your AFRs.
Old 02-04-2004, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: problem on my greddy blue box developing of late. (lazerus)

retard your timing your detonating.

Good luck.
Old 02-04-2004, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: problem on my greddy blue box developing of late. (Johnyquest)

why do you say pull timing not add fuel? is this a rich running fuel 'managment' so you assumed it was already rich?
Old 02-04-2004, 01:01 PM
New User

Default Re: (Bailhatch)

try gapping even lower. Try a gap like .028?
Old 02-04-2004, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Destroying turbo ITR motors in Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A.
Default Re: (psileepR)

One of the drawbacks to the blue box is that it fouls out plugs fairly quickly (usually every 5k) due to running so rich. But in your case, I don't know what's wrong. Are you sure it's not a timing issue? I mean, you are running stock timing at 8 psi. Retard it 1 degree at the distributor and get some BKR6E's or 7E's, gapped at...well for a stock ignition, .030-.032. I don't know what you'd need for gap on your setup. Try retarding timing and getting new plugs first.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:13 PM

Default Re: (psileepR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by psileepR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">try gapping even lower. Try a gap like .028?</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what I was going to suggest. Can't hurt to try
Old 02-04-2004, 03:53 PM

Default Re: (Hoosier Daddy)

if you are running to rich maybe invest in an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and lower the fuel pressure. Also I would retard your timing at the distributor like 3-4 degrees since the blue box doesnt adjust the ignition for you.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:55 PM
at the jetties fishin'

Default Re: (Hoosier Daddy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hoosier Daddy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That's what I was going to suggest. Can't hurt to try </TD></TR></TABLE>

won't going too small on the gap hurt it too??

actually, I was thinking of further band-aiding it up a little bit by leaning it out some. Thinking about either turning down the fuel pressure a little bit or turning up the boost to 10psi again as I had it there for a long time and had no fouling problems.

Old 02-05-2004, 10:34 AM

Can you take a picture of one of your plugs?

I dont think he is detonating...if he was detonating that consistantly his rings and other internals would long be gone by now.

How are your compression numbers?
Old 02-05-2004, 10:52 AM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stackz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

won't going too small on the gap hurt it too??

actually, I was thinking of further band-aiding it up a little bit by leaning it out some. Thinking about either turning down the fuel pressure a little bit or turning up the boost to 10psi again as I had it there for a long time and had no fouling problems.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

He has msd ignition i believe...

on another note ... since its running rich why not turn up the boost 1psi or 2... to try and lean it out
Old 02-05-2004, 11:25 AM
at the jetties fishin'

Default Re: (xenocron)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xenocron &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can you take a picture of one of your plugs?

I dont think he is detonating...if he was detonating that consistantly his rings and other internals would long be gone by now.

How are your compression numbers?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

compression is fine, no smoking at all. I know i'm running rich from the nice black ring that has developed around the outer opening of my tailpipe

I tried a while back to take pics of my plugs but my digital camera is horrible and wont take close-ups.

they actually look normal with a white porcelain area, the black soot on the bottom of the threaded part, and no wear on the electrodes, etc so I have no clue. I'm just going to turn up the boost a little bit and swap the plugs again.

hell, it's only $8 for a set....just a pain in the *** to do once a month is all.