Notices

PowerFC Users

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2002, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PowerFC Users

OK, here I go again... Damn I hate not being able to mod the base map. This **** sucks!!!!

Anyway, is there anyone out there that's tuned their PowerFC w/o having to mod the base map and is running FI? If so, would you be willing to share your fuel and timing maps over email? I have fought with this thing for months now... I send the damn thing to XS Engineering and they changed the base map for turbo, but it ran like crap. Not really their fault, just wish it was closer then that... Also, I'm running a supercharger and not a turbo, is there that much of a freakin difference??? Boost is boost... what gives?!?!

Anyway, another thing I don't like is if you reset the thing back, it looses everything... It would be much nicer if you could change the base map and then on resets it would just go back to that.

Anyway, please help if you can. I know I've asked for it before for the timing curve, but I couldn't get the J&S to shut up. So I reset the thing and now it's all f'd up. APEXi SUCKS!!!!

Thanks in advance...
Old 06-17-2002, 07:23 PM

Default Re: PowerFC Users (JRSCCivic98)

the power fc doesnt suck. from the people i know that had it, it runs great. took like 20 hrs of tuning, though, but boosting safely at 10 daily on a stock block isnt bad. sorry you had some bad experiences w/ it.
Old 06-17-2002, 07:46 PM

Default Re: PowerFC Users (ceemarun)

Yeah, it doesn't really suck, I'm just frustrated!!! If I lived in CA, then I wouldn't have a problem at all cuz I'd probably be next door to a Power Excel Shop. What sucks is that there are like ummm.... 3 shops in the US and none are on the East Coast! AHHHHHHH!!!! Sorry to sound loud, just venting. Can you tune one of those things for FI w/o having to mod the base map? Is there enough give on the correction valued to give it enough gas? Maybe I just don't understand the thing... I wish I could spend some time on the phone with someone willing to look at settings that way and say... WOW dude, that's way wrong... or you might want to try this setting over here. I mean, 20X20 map is big, but it's better then... umm, can you bring the car by so we can look at it? No, cuz it would take me 1 week to drive there.

Anyhoo, sorry to vent...
Old 06-17-2002, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

20x20? Dude...you shouldn't even be using the entire grid unless you're like revving to 10K and have 20lbs of boost....16x16 is the window you should be looking at realistcally, of which you'll only be using like 80% of....

In order to tune this yourself, you will need a wide band O2 sensor and some dyno time...or try to find someone with a similar setup and use that as your base and tune from there....
Old 06-18-2002, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: PowerFC Users (MiraiZ)

Very true. Depending on the version you have the PR10 cells are at 0 psi and vacuum, (or if you plug a 3 bar map into a regular FC PR 10 is 9 psi). Use you map tracer and see where you are on the maps.
Old 06-18-2002, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: PowerFC Users (boosted3g)

i'll share my experiences with you if you want -just hit me up.i had trouble for about a week and i talked to koji at xs and we got it going pretty good.i did all of the street tuning myself just driving around.power tuning was done on the dyno in 4 hrs=430whp.now the car runs great.it is as if it came with a turbo.
Old 06-19-2002, 10:59 AM

Default Re: PowerFC Users (turbotypeR)

Well, I just sent the Power FC back to Apexi for them to change the main chip in it. They just released a chip preprogrammed for the D16Y8 motor for both NA and FI up to 10 psi on premium US spec gas. I'm waiting to get this back and once it comes back I'm hoping the changes will only be minor. The main problem I had was that with every reset to the Power FC that would f up any reprogrammed base map in it. With the new chip I can do a factory reset on the unit and it will just go back to they was it was on that perticular chip. So I don't loose the already close FI maps. Hopefully this will help me in tuning the bitch since I have to do it on the road instead of on a dyno. I want a somewhat close base setup so that dyno tuning will only be for finetuing of the maps. So bacially with the bs stock B16 maps from Japan on the PowerFC it's WAY off. I'm hoping the recalibrated chip for the D16 is better...
Old 06-19-2002, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...I send the damn thing to XS Engineering and they changed the base map for turbo, but it ran like crap.

...Also, I'm running a supercharger and not a turbo, is there that much of a freakin difference??? Boost is boost... what gives?!?!
did you tell XS that it was for a super and not a turbo? one thing you need to tell the PFC tuner is all the mods you have done to the car, not just that you have a turbo. they need to know if you have a super, exhaust, how much boost etc. etc.

another thing about XS sending out "pre-tuned" base maps, is XS' base maps are done differently from the way other people do base maps. They insert some funky values in there that are different than other Power Excel tuners. Thats why when XS does your base map, usually only XS should be the one dyno tuning or making adjustments to your car.

Thats just what I read about XS from the RX7 boards, not so sure if they do the same thing for the Honda/Acura PFC's they sell.

Old 06-20-2002, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

also,they set injector lag time with blitz injectors.i had to change min from .06ms to .64ms.
Old 06-20-2002, 05:36 AM

[did you tell XS that it was for a super and not a turbo? one thing you need to tell the PFC tuner is all the mods you have done to the car, not just that you have a turbo. they need to know if you have a super, exhaust, how much boost etc. etc.]

Ummm.... I didn't know you had to tell them that... I thought a turbo map would work for anything...

SIKE! Yes, I sent them a roster of my mods... They just didn't have a map for supercharger and made the dicision that a turbo one would be somwhat close... NOT! Also sent them all settings for fuel pressure and whatnot. One thing that was interesting is they dialed back my 440 RC injectors to like 42.7% with -.6 or -.06 injector lags. If my calculations were correct taking into account 240cc stock injectors the 440's should only need to be run at 54.5% correction. Anyhoo, I'm waiting to get the computer back today. I'll put that in and see how it goes.
Old 06-20-2002, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: gravity rides everything...everything will fall, se GA/ne FL

hope it works out for you man.