Notices

porting ?'s for turbo apps.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default porting ?'s for turbo apps.

Ok, I wanna first say that I HAVE been searching for info for the last couple of days on here pretty much every chance I get. So, to searching. I found a lot of valuable info...consequently leading me to more questions that I could not find the answeres to, which is why i am here(at my computer asking you guys for more info).

here go's:

The setup:
Sleeved b20b4 block(stock 84mm bore)
Cp 9.7:1 pistons(with supplied wrist pins,locks, and rings)
Eagle H-beam rods
ACL main and rod bearings
balanced and micro polished crank(and entire rotating assembly)

GSR Head has yet to be touched...waiting to get more info. So, what kind of port work do you all recommend for that bottom end, Gsr head, for a turbo application. I am thinking a t3/t4 hybrid turbo(prefferably on the larger side of this family), shooting for anywhere between 350-450whp and overbuilt for reliability. Things I am questioning are the effectiveness of enlarging th intake ports while keeping the stock shape, punching 'em out to square ports, just knife-edging the plenum, minor bowl and window work, 3 angle valve job...I am kind of at a loss for what to do and where to do it...I want to maximize my power and flow in the mid to upper range of lift and rpm's. Exhaust shape i know to pretty much keep the same, just port match, polish and slightly enlarge, but I don't want to create turbo lag by slowing down the velocity..Aaaaaghhhhhhhh!!! Someone please help me!!!! Tell me valuable info, or recommend a GREAT book, or something, but I intend to do the porting and polishing myself with the flow bench at school, but I need info first.

TIA,
Jeff
Old 01-26-2005, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: porting ?'s for turbo apps. (boostinb20vtec)

Dude your way off where and how you want to take material out for a turbo car, but I am not willing to talk about all the info especially here, this is how I make a living...You go to SAM correct? Judson Massingil's Church of Reason..
Old 01-26-2005, 05:49 PM

Default Re: porting ?'s for turbo apps. (HEAD)

Judson is the man. I have a set of heads CNC ported with a program he designed, they flow amazingly for the port volume, tons of low lift flow. Bigger isn't always bigger
Old 01-26-2005, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: porting ?'s for turbo apps. (boostinb20vtec)

For 300- 400 horsepower you can use a bone stock head other than maybe a set of springs and retainers. If you want to spend the $ for a port job I can show u some pics of some work I do for my sport fwd del sol. IM me if you are interested.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know bigger isn't always better...I did say that in my original post...the bigger the port, the less velocity you have. i.e the less air total you will be able to cram into the combustion chamber.. I also would like to know the benefeits of oversizing the combustion chamber to match an 84mm bore, if there are any
Old 01-27-2005, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boostinb20vtec)

you want to make some of that head big, and the bigger the better depending on turbo size.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by @lbert &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Judson is the man. I have a set of heads CNC ported with a program he designed, they flow amazingly for the port volume, tons of low lift flow. Bigger isn't always bigger </TD></TR></TABLE>

You got them from Brian at Total Engine Airflow, I made those to meet 2 very bright people.
the LS1 program when I went to SAM was revolutionary for the time, and we were just a tech school! lol
Let UTI or WyoTech say that!
Old 01-27-2005, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

up for more info...come on people!!!
Old 01-27-2005, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

need more info please
Old 01-27-2005, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looks like you wont,these posts sound like a sales call
Old 01-27-2005, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i know this may not help any especially because it was for NA apps, but i looked at endyne and i know people have mixxed feelings about them but what is up with all thier port work NOT being smooth anywhere?? they say it makes more power and that by polishing stuff makes it flow worse, meaning that it is supposed to be rough looking???

i dont know,im not a head porter i plan on having a guy i know named brandon who use to work for total engine airflow, he did an r6 motorcycle head for frined and was able to make it flow more than a mustang PI head! and flow better
Old 01-28-2005, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

someone please help me out...I am not competition for you...I don't care about doing this for a living, I just want to get the most out of my head that I can for my application and get the best grade I can in my high performance cylinder head class.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:30 PM

I can't add much for your questions, but I took my head to this local guy who does head porting all day and for 600+whp bikes... and that's all boost (around 50lbs)!anyway, he tells me that polishing is mearly for looks. people want the job done to look nice and pretty and thats all it does.

as for the exhaust side porting... why would making them large slow velocity? isn't the point to get the gas out fast as possible? bigger would mean less restrictions no? kinda the same reason why 3" exhaust is better then 2.5"...
or were you referring to just changing the shape?

for turbo app, you would benifit from oversized exhaust valves and exhaust porting

as for the combustion chamber, seems to me that the only benifit you get is that little bit more displacement which probably isn't noticable and not worth the work... I could be wrong.

Modified by turbosi03 at 2:49 PM 1/28/2005
Old 01-28-2005, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone care to agree/disagree with his statements??? c'mon..let's get some discussion
Old 01-29-2005, 02:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you are asking for information on how to port your heads you have come to the wrong place. Porting is done with specific perameters in mind. Hp, psi, cfm, and rpm all play a role in porting to create the maximum yeild.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civicsitek GanGsTa)

no sh*t!!! Read my posts dude, and you will realize that I know all this stuff and have detailed what I am looking to get out of my motor and what components I am planning on running.

Up for more info please
Old 01-29-2005, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (mrbsponge)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrbsponge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i know this may not help any especially because it was for NA apps, but i looked at endyne and i know people have mixxed feelings about them but what is up with all thier port work NOT being smooth anywhere?? they say it makes more power and that by polishing stuff makes it flow worse, meaning that it is supposed to be rough looking???

i dont know,im not a head porter i plan on having a guy i know named brandon who use to work for total engine airflow, he did an r6 motorcycle head for frined and was able to make it flow more than a mustang PI head! and flow better</TD></TR></TABLE>
i have also heard that on the intake ports its not a good idea to make them really smooth.
Old 01-30-2005, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbosi03)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbosi03 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I can't add much for your questions, but I took my head to this local guy who does head porting all day and for 600+whp bikes... and that's all boost (around 50lbs)!anyway, he tells me that polishing is mearly for looks. people want the job done to look nice and pretty and thats all it does.

as for the exhaust side porting... why would making them large slow velocity? isn't the point to get the gas out fast as possible? bigger would mean less restrictions no? kinda the same reason why 3" exhaust is better then 2.5"...
or were you referring to just changing the shape?

for turbo app, you would benifit from oversized exhaust valves and exhaust porting

as for the combustion chamber, seems to me that the only benifit you get is that little bit more displacement which probably isn't noticable and not worth the work... I could be wrong.

Modified by turbosi03 at 2:49 PM 1/28/2005</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would agree to most of this except the combustion chamber does nothing for your displacement, compression yes but has nothing to do with the size of the engine. Make the exhaust port big if it is not a street car and has a big turbo, watch how big you make it (don't take it out to the gasket) otherwise. 60 series turbo and up, can make it decently big and not sacrifice streetabilty to much.
You are going to find power in the chamber side, if it is done right and if you have a GOOD valve job.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HEAD)

thank you, and I would love any more info out there
Old 01-31-2005, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

back up
Old 02-01-2005, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

up for me
Old 02-01-2005, 08:53 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

i just did a y7 turbo head, ****** falked on me... hence the sale in my sig. Anyways, i opened up the intake runners, dropped the floor flat, and made the fuel gully 2x longer, then smoothed it over bolth ports. Combustion chamber, just smoothed, nothing diffrent much other than a smooth surfuce. Exhaust side, polished and tried to make it a big flatter of a curve... anyways..

turbo pnp.. make round things rounder/smoother, make the flat places flatter.. and open that bastard up... if that makes sense... enjoy